An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Confessors

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I have been to confession three times since becoming Catholic recently. My first confession was with our newest priest, ordained just a year but an older man in his late 40's I believe. It was a very moving experience--he listened very patiently, gave me great insight into what was behind my sins, gave me a very appropriate and creative, healing penance, and then led me through the act of contrition word by word since I did not know it yet. I left feeling clean and good inside and felt I had been with Jesus.

Our regular pastor heard my next two confessions, and while he is a kindly man who has been in the priesthood for a long time, he seemed very "rote" about it all. He listened, said a few generic words about doing right and forgiveness, and absolved me without giving me a penance both times. He then told me to go to the church to say the act of contrition (even though he knew it was only my second confession and no one else was waiting to see him). I was puzzled so I went to our Deacon who told me he never gives penances to anyone.

I far preferred the experience with the newer priest and had I experienced my first confession with the more experienced Father I would have been far more hesitant to return.

Lina, which conference did you go to? Was it on campus?
My favorite confessor is Fr. Dominic Foster. He's at Franciscan University, I went to him last year for confession. Uh. May. Zing.
He listened, pulled out the Bible, talked to me, and had a very peaceful, calming presence that I have never felt in confession.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1313517759' post='2289229']
Lina, which conference did you go to? Was it on campus?
My favorite confessor is Fr. Dominic Foster. He's at Franciscan University, I went to him last year for confession. Uh. May. Zing.
He listened, pulled out the Bible, talked to me, and had a very peaceful, calming presence that I have never felt in confession.
[/quote]

I went to Steubenville Mid-America at Missouri State University. It was my first time attending a stuebie conference, and it was absolutely amazing!!!! I didnt get to get the priests name that i confessed to. but he was amesome!!!

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1313524466' post='2289316']

I went to Steubenville Mid-America at Missouri State University. It was my first time attending a stuebie conference, and it was absolutely amazing!!!! I didnt get to get the priests name that i confessed to. but he was amesome!!!
[/quote]

amesome! steubie conferences are the best. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

The best confessor that I ever had was when I was in high school. We used to have diocesan priests come in during Lent and Advent. During those seasons, the confessions would increase, and the school didn't want to burden the chaplain with 25 teenage confessions an hour (:blink:), so they'd recruit local priests. This priest not only listened carefully, he also explained why the church views certain things as wrong, and steps I could take to correct my many faults. It was such a great experience!

Another great confession was by a local priest at a reconciliation service. I don't know if it was him, or God, or who, but I ended up crying joyful tears at the end.

One great penance I had was two year. The priest told me he knew I must know someone who had died who needed prayers (one of my classmates had just committed suicide), so my penance was to pray for that person.

As far as confessors go, I always have trouble going to confession with a priest who looks younger than I do (and I'm young. Trust me). I know it's the sacrament that counts, but confessing my sins to someone who could be my brother has always been hard for me. I'm working on getting over that...