An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habits In Hot Weather

tinytherese

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1310437924' post='2266139']
amesome! :like: Praying for you MM
[/quote]

That reminds me! You are headed there next month! How do you feel? Prayers for you! :)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1310440511' post='2266161']
the Dominican habit stays warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather
[/quote]

Really? Then why did the Nashvilles I know have to put on sweaters in the winter? :harhar:

dominicansoul

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1310475796' post='2266305']
Really? Then why did the Nashvilles I know have to put on sweaters in the winter? :harhar:
[/quote]

cos they are not Ann Arbor Doms

franciscanheart

After a couple trips to NYC in the hot summer months, I wondered how the sweet CFRs managed to stay cool and fresh. I'm not sure they do. :| But then, the city kinda smells anyway so whatevs, right? ;) They definitely bundle up (in gray!) during the winter. :like:

Carmelites dont care because if its too hot they offer it up and save souls, and if its too cold they offer that up as well and save souls.

[img]http://www.spintown.net/images/nuns/courtyd2.jpg[/img]

MissScripture

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1310475796' post='2266305']
[/quote]
Because they didn't grow up in ND! Well, one of the postulants that grew up in MN is ALWAYS cold, regardless (my sister), so she would need a sweater. The postulant who grew up in ND was always marveled at by the other Sisters because she rarely wore sweaters or jackets.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1310529344' post='2266696']
Carmelites dont care because if its too hot they offer it up and save souls, and if its too cold they offer that up as well and save souls.

[img]http://www.spintown.net/images/nuns/courtyd2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Vee--I know the rest of you learned this in kindergarten, but I still don't "get" how if you're too hot, or sick, or something bad happens (basically my life in a nutshell), you "offer it up" and it saves souls. What does "offering it up" mean? What do you say? And how does it save souls?

I know these are stupid questions, but they are serious. Anglicans don't do this, so I never heard of it before I came on Phatmass.

You're going to save LOTS AND LOTS of souls when you're in Texas with DS it's going to be SO hot. Plus, you can save souls by offering up just the fact that you're with DS. :evil:

• 4 weeks later...
i<3franciscans

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310580705' post='2266989']
Vee--I know the rest of you learned this in kindergarten, but I still don't "get" how if you're too hot, or sick, or something bad happens (basically my life in a nutshell), you "offer it up" and it saves souls. What does "offering it up" mean? What do you say? And how does it save souls?

I know these are stupid questions, but they are serious. Anglicans don't do this, so I never heard of it before I came on Phatmass.

You're going to save LOTS AND LOTS of souls when you're in Texas with DS it's going to be SO hot. Plus, you can save souls by offering up just the fact that you're with DS. :evil:
[/quote]
Anything you offer up to Jesus can save souls. It is like saying, "Jesus it is really cold out today and I don't have a jacket, but I am not going to complain and offer my suffering to you as you offered your suffering to me on the cross." Does that make sense?

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1310427789' post='2266012']
Some orders like the religious sisters of mercy have a summer habit. This is is lighter colour and made from a lighter material. They also go swimming in the summer time. They have a pool at the motherhouse, which comes in handy!
[/quote]

That's totally a w esome! I have my super modest bathing attire so I'm all set if I ever enter there, should it not work with the SsEW.

I'm STILL waiting for my Priest and another person to write up letters for me about health and such.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1312729382' post='2282953']
Anything you offer up to Jesus can save souls. It is like saying, "Jesus it is really cold out today and I don't have a jacket, but I am not going to complain and offer my suffering to you as you offered your suffering to me on the cross." Does that make sense?
[/quote]

Yeah, like not complaining or trying to get away from the suffering. You endure it with love for Jesus, just as He suffered and offered up Himself on the Cross for love of the Father and us.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Maximilianus

Today we had a Passionist priest talk at Mass. He was wearing waht looked like a white alb with a plastic Passionist emblem pinned on it instead of the usual black habit. I could only assume he was wearing an alternative to the black habit because of the oppressive heat and humidity, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Maximilianus

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1312747658' post='2283058']
Today we had a Passionist priest talk at Mass. He was wearing waht looked like a white alb with a plastic Passionist emblem pinned on it instead of the usual black habit. I could only assume he was wearing an alternative to the black habit because of the oppressive heat and humidity, but I'm not sure.
[/quote]

I believe the Passionist missionary habit is white, and the Philippine Passionists wear a white habit.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1310485235' post='2266348']
After a couple trips to NYC in the hot summer months, I wondered how the sweet CFRs managed to stay cool and fresh. I'm not sure they do. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img] But then, the city kinda smells anyway so whatevs, right? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] They definitely bundle up (in gray!) during the winter. :like:
[/quote]

I love all the museums in NYC. I miss living so close that I could take the train there!

You are so right about the smell. After I'd come back, the first thing I always did was take a shower. I think I passed one of their convents when I got lost in the city. I'm not sure, though!

Maximilianus

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1312753490' post='2283097']

I believe the Passionist missionary habit is white, and the Philippine Passionists wear a white habit.
[/quote]

That it makes sense based on what he was talking about.