An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Patriot Act

Jesus_lol

by no means the definitive info on it, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act should be enough for people not familiar with the law and its history.

what do you all guys think about this? it doesnt come up much here, but its been a big concern of mine since it was first enacted.

First it was enacted by a Republican government and then shamefully prolonged by a Democrat government, and it seems what used to be a one sided support for the bill has become nearly unilateral, with only a few dissenting politicians.

It concerns you? Why, what are you hiding?

It's concerning but as I see it, the government is gonna do whatever the hell they want anyway. I frequently sign e-petitions against the Patriot Act and other Big Brother-esque laws because I have some stupid futile hope that maybe our leaders will be more reasonable.

I have lowered my expectations for our government to an abysmal level, let's just say that.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1309683043' post='2262551']
It concerns you? Why, what are you hiding?

[/quote]

you are kidding right? please say you are kidding.

that has to be the most insanely frustratingly hollow argument in favour of this bill and other government invasions of privacy. would you be ok with having nearly everything you do on video, like in britain? nothing to hide right? ok with your phone being wiretapped for no reason? was 1984 a pleasant read for you?

[quote]
It's concerning but as I see it, the government is gonna do whatever the hell they want anyway. I frequently sign e-petitions against the Patriot Act and other Big Brother-esque laws because I have some stupid futile hope that maybe our leaders will be more reasonable.

I have lowered my expectations for our government to an abysmal level, let's just say that.
[/quote]

apathy works too, i guess.

in a general sense, i find it quite disturbing, that often the same people who froth at the mouth at the thought of government involvement in their wallet, taxes, rights, guns are perfectly willing to sacrifice their freedom and right to privacy in the name of this stupid bill.

Not a fan, but anyone who is the least bit surprised at the Democrats supporting it once in power is incredibly naive, to say the least. Government is always loathe to abandon any powers it gains, and this is true no matter what party is in power. And Democrats have yet to meet an expansion of federal government power they didn't like. Opposition to it during the Bush years was pure political opportunism.

If anything, the charge of hypocrisy should go to the Republicans, rather than the Democrats, as they are the ones who generally preach limited government power.

That said, I think the Patriot Act is just another drop in the bucket compared with past expansions of government power that we take for granted today.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1309795011' post='2263004']
Not a fan, but anyone who is the least bit surprised at the Democrats supporting it once in power is incredibly naive, to say the least. Government is always loathe to abandon any powers it gains, and this is true no matter what party is in power. And Democrats have yet to meet an expansion of federal government power they didn't like. Opposition to it during the Bush years was pure political opportunism.

If anything, the charge of hypocrisy should go to the Republicans, rather than the Democrats, as they are the ones who generally preach limited government power.

That said, I think the Patriot Act is just another drop in the bucket compared with past expansions of government power that we take for granted today.
[/quote]

agreed. at least there are a few politicians who still speak out against it, but over all its been massively dissappointing.

i dont know about that last one. sure there are other expansions, but this one is definitely pretty serious as it directly bypasses the citizens constitutional rights and the legal system

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1309924059' post='2263493']
The patriot act mocks our bill of rights.
[/quote]

it mocks the parts that it doesnt just outright ignore

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1309760233' post='2262900']
you are kidding right? please say you are kidding.

that has to be the most insanely frustratingly hollow argument in favour of this bill and other government invasions of privacy. would you be ok with having nearly everything you do on video, like in britain? nothing to hide right? ok with your phone being wiretapped for no reason? was 1984 a pleasant read for you?[/quote]

Calm down. I WAS kidding. Yikes it doesn't take much to set you off! I will take note for future reference ;)

[quote]apathy works too, i guess.[/quote]

It doesn't [i]work[/i], I'm just trying to be realistic.

[quote]in a general sense, i find it quite disturbing, that often the same people who froth at the mouth at the thought of government involvement in their wallet, taxes, rights, guns are perfectly willing to sacrifice their freedom and right to privacy in the name of this stupid bill.[/quote]

Yeah, but I don't know of any people who fit this description to be honest, but maybe I'm not paying attention. I do what I can to fight it, which isn't much I admit, but yes this bill is ridikilous. It's so ridiculous that the reason anyone have to explain why it's ridiculous, is ridiculous. It's just tired you know? I see little reason to argue it with people because at the end of the day, if people want to sacrifice privacy for a false sense of security, then I can't really change that.

But if you want to call it apathy, sure why not.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1309935046' post='2263531']
Calm down. I WAS kidding. Yikes it doesn't take much to set you off! I will take note for future reference ;)
[/quote]

my apologies, sarcasm doesnt always travel well over the internet, and in the context of your post it didnt seem likely to be joking. and ive been dealing with people who actually think like that a lot recently, at work, etc.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1309939715' post='2263540']
my apologies, sarcasm doesnt always travel well over the internet, and in the context of your post it didnt seem likely to be joking. and ive been dealing with people who actually think like that a lot recently, at work, etc.
[/quote]

No worries. It made me laugh anyhow :)

Lord knows I've overreacted my fair share of times too

protecting my liberties by taking them away.

[img]http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/guinness-brilliant.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1309798083' post='2263032']
Used to think it was good. Now I do not. Big Brother.
[/quote]

Hmmm...something tells me you started disliking it on January 20th, 2009....

Winchester

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309959070' post='2263582']
Hmmm...something tells me you started disliking it on January 20th, 2009....
[/quote]
It's possible he followed my same pattern. Spurred by someone more clearly opposed to individual liberty, he read more and paid attention and changed his mind. It's quite possible to have been spurred to change by partisanship, only to abandon partisanship later.