An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Carmelite Saints

FutureSister2009

FutureSister2009

Since this was my idea, and since this has been the trend of Phatmass lately, I'm going to be the one to start this topic.
Who's everyone's favorite Carmelite Saints?

St. Therese of Lisieux (duh)
St. Teresa of the Andes
St. Teresa of Avila
St. John of the Cross.
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity
St. Edith Stein or Teresa Benedicta

:like:

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1309468918' post='2261172']
Since this was my idea, and since this has been the trend of Phatmass lately, I'm going to be the one to start this topic.
Who's everyone's favorite Carmelite Saints?

St. Therese of Lisieux (duh)
St. Teresa of the Andes
St. Teresa of Avila
St. John of the Cross.
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity
St. Edith Stein or Teresa Benedicta

:like:
[/quote]

I agree with these.

Didn't I read somewhere that there's more Carmelite saints than any other order? Or was that my imagination? rotfl

faithcecelia

St Teresa is by far my favourite. I love her determination, her courage and her wit. Once I got into her writings I was both suprised and pleased to discover how modern she is and how wonderfully sarcastic. Also I like that she was no-one's fool - she was able to make some extremely groundbraking changes to religious life, especially for women, whilst still toeing the line just enough to get away with it.

It took a long time for me to take to St Therese, I had rreasd Story of a Soul a good few times but just found her too saccharin sweet. Once I had read more of her writings, and the unedited version of S of a S she started to grow on me. Since I have been out I have been aware of Therese being there with me, comforting me and guiding me back to Carmel.

Edith Stein I just adore! I love her writings, particularly her lack of 'gushiness'. The way she faced her martyrdom also moves me greatly - all the reports of those who saw her in her last days tell of how calm she was, and how she calmed her fellow prisoners. As it happens, one of my former sisters was in a northern Carmel during the war )she entered in 1941). The Carmel was near a POW camp and Catholic prisoners were allowed to go to Mass there and occasionally meet the sisters in the parlour. One young soldier met them and the first thing he asked was whether Sr Teresa Benedicta had made it to the Uk. Sadly, of course, she didn't.

I have always liked Elizabeth of the Trinity too, there is a maturity in her writings that belies her age.

Lets be honest, I love pretty much all the Carmelite saints!

Chiara Francesco

My favorite, St. Maravillas of Jesus - a reformer and foundress of St. Teresa's rule and constitutions she wanted for her Carmels (we know as the 1990s).

I have is book and love it. Just found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Let-Him-Do-Maravillas-C-D/dp/B00194GAXW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1309470088&sr=8-6

Her bio called, "Let Him Do It" - any Carmel fan who never heard of her better get this book now as the last few times I've seen it on any site was well over $50!

Born in 1891, she died in 1974.

faithcecelia

I also love that we have so many recent saints, I find it easier to 'get' them when I can see their photos. I especially love the popular one of Therese taken when she was very ill

[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/St_Therese_of_Lisieux1.jpg[/img]

There is just something in her eyes that speaks to me.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309470432' post='2261189']
I also love that we have so many recent saints, I find it easier to 'get' them when I can see their photos. I especially love the popular one of Therese taken when she was very ill

[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/St_Therese_of_Lisieux1.jpg[/img]

There is just something in her eyes that speaks to me.
[/quote]

Wow, if this is when she is very ill, you could never tell. I think this one speaks volumes:

[img]http://parishableitems.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/st-therese-sick-bed1.jpg[/img]

She went through such a dark period at the end of her life that she wrote that if she didn't have God, she would be tempted to take her own life. I thought it was utterly heartwrenching to hear that such a beautiful saint could have such horrible thoughts. But thank God she trusted Our Lord enough to not go through with them. And what a miraculous vision she received the moment she succumbed to death. "My God, I love you!"

Maximilianus

The Sixteen Blessed Teresian Martyrs of Compiègne:

Madeleine-Claudine Ledoine (Mother Teresa of St. Augustine), priores

Marie-Anne (or Antoinette) Brideau (Mother St. Louis), sub-prioress

Marie-Anne Piedcourt (Sister of Jesus Crucified), choir-nun

Anne-Marie-Madeleine Thouret (Sister Charlotte of the Resurrection), sacristan

Marie-Antoniette or Anne Hanisset (Sister Teresa of the Holy Heart of Mary)

Marie-Françoise Gabrielle de Croissy (Mother Henriette of Jesus)

Marie-Gabrielle Trézel (Sister Teresa of St. Ignatius), choir-nun

Rose-Chrétien de la Neuville, widow, choir-nun

Anne Petras (Sister Mary Henrietta of Providence), choir-nun

Sister Euphrasia of the Immaculate Conception - accounts vary. Miss Willson says that her name was Marie Claude Cyprienne Brard, and that she was born 12 May, 1736; Pierre, that her name was Catherine Charlotte Brard, and that she was born 7 Sept., 1736. She was born at Bourth, and professed in 1757;

Marie-Geneviève Meunier (Sister Constance), novice, She mounted the scaffold singing "Laudate Dominum".

Angélique Roussel (Sister Mary of the Holy Ghost), lay sister

Marie Dufour (Sister St. Martha), lay sister

Julie or Juliette Vérolot (Sister St. Francis Xavier), lay sister,

Tourières: Catherine and Teresa Soiron

More info [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14517a.htm"]here[/url]

OnlySunshine

I thought for the longest time that I was called to Carmel. I first looked at cloistered Carmels and then applied to the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus. Of course, I didn't go through with it, but I think it was St. Therese's absolute love for God in Carmel (in the desert as her Sister, Mother Agnes, called it) that drew me there. Even though I don't feel called to be a Carmelite anymore (I think I was a little obsessed; it was my will not God's), I still love St. Therese so much. The movie about her was the first Catholic movie I ever watched and it was after my reversion to the Church:

[img]https://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/3823lg.jpg[/img]

Although it was sickeningly sweet at times and a little too romanticized, it brought me a good patron in St. Therese. I read "Story of a Soul" soon after and have loved her ever since, although I wish I could read the one that is not heavily edited to see more of her thoughts.

These are my favorite Carmelite saints:

St. Therese of Lisieux
St. Teresa of the Andes
Bl. John Paul II (he was a 3rd order Carmelite, and originally wanted to be a Carmelite friar)
Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity
Elijah the Hermit
St. Teresa Margaret Redi of the Sacred Heart

I have the hardest time relating to the great Carmelite saints Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. The only book I was able to understand by St Teresa was "The Interior Castle." I did not find her biography or anything else very stimulating. I just cannot relate to the both of them. I am much more able to understand the smaller Carmelite saints (St. Therese and St. Teresa of the Andes are my absolute favorites).

ETA: While they were not Carmelites, per se, the Carmel order looks upon them as their own:

Bl. Louis and Zelie Martin
St. Anne and St. Joachim (Anne is my Confirmation saint who's feast is celebrated on my birthday!)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

faithcecelia

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1309472014' post='2261211']
Wow, if this is when she is very ill, you could never tell. I think this one speaks volumes:

[img]http://parishableitems.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/st-therese-sick-bed1.jpg[/img]

She went through such a dark period at the end of her life that she wrote that if she didn't have God, she would be tempted to take her own life. I thought it was utterly heartwrenching to hear that such a beautiful saint could have such horrible thoughts. But thank God she trusted Our Lord enough to not go through with them. And what a miraculous vision she received the moment she succumbed to death. "My God, I love you!"
[/quote]

This pic doesn't touch me in quite the same way, though I think there is still something in her eyes. The one I posted was taken on one of the last days she was up. I cant remember if she says in SS or in one of her letters, but Sr Gevevive (Celine) wanted some last picture of her, knowing she would die soon, and she wanted them to be 'perfect'. Therese could barely stand and had sweat pouring doen her back with the effort of posing for numerous shots.

My favourite Therese quote has to be 'I will give everything to Jesus, and when I have nothing left to give, I will give Him my nothing'.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309472909' post='2261226']
This pic doesn't touch me in quite the same way, though I think there is still something in her eyes. The one I posted was taken on one of the last days she was up. I cant remember if she says in SS or in one of her letters, but Sr Gevevive (Celine) wanted some last picture of her, knowing she would die soon, and she wanted them to be 'perfect'. Therese could barely stand and had sweat pouring doen her back with the effort of posing for numerous shots.

My favourite Therese quote has to be 'I will give everything to Jesus, and when I have nothing left to give, I will give Him my nothing'.
[/quote]

Did you read this in "My Sister, St. Therese" about Celine Martin? I've always wanted to read that book. :blush:

faithcecelia

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1309473116' post='2261232']
Did you read this in "My Sister, St. Therese" about Celine Martin? I've always wanted to read that book. :blush:
[/quote]

Not the whole book, its not a style I can take to at all - its so sickly sweet it makes SS seem salty :blush:

TeresaBenedicta

My three favorites are St. Teresa of Avila, Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity, and, of course, Edith Stein. :)

Clare~Therese

Let's see...
My top 5 favorite Carmelites as of right now are (in no particular order):
1) St. Therese the Little Flower
2) St. Teresa Benedicta/Edith Stein
3) The Martyrs of Compiegne
4) St. John of the Cross (I've only read his poems...I like those)
5) Blessed Isidore Bakanja ~ martyred in Africa in 1909 because of his simple, strong faith & because he wore the scapular

I also like Blessed Titus Brandsma (I don't know if I spelled his last name right).

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309473660' post='2261243']
Not the whole book, its not a style I can take to at all - its so sickly sweet it makes SS seem salty :blush:
[/quote]

Forgive me, but what does "SS" stand for? :blush: