An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Prayer: I Want To Do It... But Don't Know How

the_rev

I think this thread is appropriate for Vocation Station because I believe mental prayer is more of a Carmelite charism. I have somewhat of an idea of what it is and how it should be done but would be interested in how others do their mental prayer. Could you describe in steps? A priest recommended to me the other day that I needed to incorporate at least 15 minutes of mental payer into my prayer life, and I just don't know what that means, or how to do it.

Thank you all for the thoughts you may share. I really would like to take my prayer life deeper, but especially during the summer, that is difficult without a spiritual director.

Thanks.

MargaretTeresa

The Daughters of St Paul have a wonderful book on beginning contemplative prayer. There is also an app. I love it a lot. If you watch, they sometimes put the app on sale (I don't think it was one of the free ones, but don't hold me too that.)

Theresita Nerita

I'm not by any means an expert on prayer, first of all. But I've been helped out by Teresa of Avila's books - especially her autobiography. She says she spent years never praying without a spiritual book at her side - sometimes she'd read a lot, sometimes only a sentence...and the prayer doesn't have to be about the book, either. It's just helpful. I've spent a lot of time praying with Teresa's books near me, and they're nice to have and very informative on prayer.

This is the quick version of what I do personally...
1) Say an our father, or the hours, or some set prayer first.
2) Open my heart up and invite God into my mind and heart.
3) Remember humility (St. Teresa says to "enter through this door" b/c it's a good one) and remind myself that it's not my will but his that should be done.
4) Then just BE with God. Talking, listening, whatever.

It's not easy at first, and it grows in time with God's help. Another good idea is, if you're going for 15 mins a day, look at the clock and say, ok, 15 minutes from right now. And even if you get distracted - NOTHING wrong with that - keep praying til your 15 mins is up. And you'll be surprised how refreshing it is!

Also, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not very advanced on the spiritual path, but I do think that God has really helped me out through mental prayer. Go for it! it's such a good thing. God bless and good luck.

TeresaBenedicta

Mental prayer is actually quite simple- it's just conversation with God! And it can be about anything. Your worries, your desires, your feelings... it's talking through these things with God.

Sometimes this sort of conversation with God is preceded and aided by spiritual reading or Scripture. You might read a line that really sticks out to you. For example, this weekend's Gospel will have the cherished verse: "Come to me all you who labour and I will give you rest." These words from Jesus might inspire a soul to bring to Him all of their worries, to talk to Him about them, to give them to Him... and then, ask to rest in Him. Maybe we don't know how. So we ask Him to help us. To teach us.

Sometimes mental prayer becomes more affective- meaning your 'conversation' turns more into praise or adoration or thanksgiving or contrition. That's okay! That's good!

Mental prayer is so important because it's that daily, personal, conversation with God. Sometimes it might be quiet- that's okay, too! Think about long car rides with a family member or friend. There are times of conversation... but then there are also times of silence. It's not awkward, though, because you're comfortable with the people you are driving with. Same thing with mental prayer. There are times of conversation... and then there are times of silence. Let them flow naturally, not worrying about whether one is occurring or not.

There is a book called Difficulties in Mental Prayer by Boylan. That book is really helpful. Also read St. Teresa of Avila The Way of Prayer which is part of The Way of Perfection.

Chiquitunga

This may be just me, and my spirituality is definitely Carmelite, but I often get confused/can't relate with the term "Mental prayer" For me it is hardly something I do with my head .. it's all in the heart .. talking to Our Lord, spending time with Him in silence .. reading Scripture, but with the heart. I wonder where the term Mental prayer started. I'm fine with meditation, which is the same thing .. but again, it's the "mental" part that confuses me. Seems more Dominican or something. Anyways, better get to sleep :pray: .. :sleep2:

p.s. a good relatively short book on this, recommended by a Carmel - https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/Conversation-With-Christ

also I noticed they're calling it "personal prayer" here in the title, whereas my old version of this book says "mental prayer" anyway, same thing. I like personal prayer better though :like:

Edited by Chiquitunga

faithcecelia

I highly recommend this book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidelines-Mystical-Prayer-Ruth-Burrows/dp/0860124533/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309416401&sr=8-1"]Guidelines for Mystical Prayer[/url]. It is actually by my first Novice Mistress, and is (like all her books) very accessible - she is a Carmelite not an academic and writes from experience.

I actually struggle with books on prayer. I am very lucky in that God has chosen to bless me with the ability to slip into contemplation (which is what you are aiming for in mental prayer - MP sort of describes the whole process, contemplation is a later step on the journey, sort of). If I summarise very simply, in the early stages of MP it is common to need to use books to focus the mind, and to then ponder and pray over what has been read. Or to have notes of the things you intend to pray for/about and slowly give time to each of those, mentally handing them to God.

Ultimately, the aim is to get to the stage where you don't 'say' anything and instead rest in God's presence and let Him do the talking, but that can be a lifetime!

Other books I would recommed are [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upon-This-Mountain-Carmelite-Tradition/dp/0947916091/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309417418&sr=1-1"]Upon this Mountain[/url] which is a small and simple book by the prioress at Notting Hill, can easily be read in one go, or slowly pondered a page or so at a time. And later (as it is much harder going) [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interior-Castle-St-Teresa-Avila/dp/1604592613/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309417524&sr=1-1"]Interior Castle[/url]. If you decide to look at this I would also recommend [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interior-Castle-Explored-Teresas-Teaching/dp/0860124525/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309417587&sr=1-6"]Interior Castle Explored[/url], another one by my old ovice Mistress - actually most of her books would be helpful as you begin to deepen your prayerlife.

Don't over-focus on what is specifically Mental Prayer. Remember that the term came into use at a time when the norm was spoken prayer - the Divine Office, the rosary, litanies etc, and silent prayer was treated with suspicion - especially for women as they cannot possibly be capable of such a thing!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='the_rev' timestamp='1309436597' post='2260739']
Would it be safe to say that Mental Prayer could really be a component of lectio divina?
[/quote]

Benedictines would probably agree.... Carmelites not ;)

The most important thing of course, is just to spend some time alone with God, with no agenda. That doesn't mean that one can't start with some reading or a few prayers, but watching, listening, waiting, loving attentiveness... just being quiet enough exteriorly and interiorly to let Him speak to you... as if you had just finished your side of the conversation and were listening for His. not that He doesn't speak to us all the time, but we aren't always listening. Remember how Elijah waited for Him and He wasn't in the loud, noisy things, but in the gentle breeze? Like that.

As for the head/heart things, He speaks to both and heycheyistic prayer acknowledges that. Loving thoughts of Jesus can be an aid in the beginning, meditations on His life, and any aspect of Him that attracts you... but without trying to control your thoughts, letting them be guided by your interior state. True, deep prayer takes time, so setting a specific time is good for self-discipline, but God isn't a TV show that we turn on and off, but a relationship that develops the more we invest of ourselves. If you can find a longer block of time to give to this kind of prayer, such as at a retreat, it definitely helps because sometimes just the 'noise' of our own mental activity takes awhile to slow down and become quiet. But the more you do it, the deeper your love will grow and also your appreciation for His love, which He gives to us first.

TeresaBenedicta

I'd suggest talking with your priest again and getting some solid input from him as well. Perhaps even primarily. As you can see here, everyone has given slightly different advice, all according to each one's own experience and current state of prayer... which might, perhaps, make things seem confusing (although all good stuff!). But if you could talk consistently with this priest through the summer, as a sort of substitute spiritual director, I think that would by far be best. He'd be more likely to know where you're at now, which will help to explain the sort of prayer that will be more helpful to you.

Here is an article that I think does a great job of explaining the differences between discursive meditation, affective meditation (both of which are considered as part of 'mental prayer', in different stages), and contemplation:

[quote]
Contemplative prayer consists of a more passive (and more sublime) experience of God. If Christian meditation is the soul’s inspired quest to discover God (our work of seeking God), contemplation is God’s lifting of the soul into himself (God’s work of embrace), so that it effortlessly basks in the divine light. The key distinction here is that contemplation, in the strict sense, is purely the work of God. Meditation, though aided by God and predicated upon the grace and work of Christ, is the result of our seeking him. That basic distinction is often blurred, causing confusion, because both contemplative and meditative prayer have multiple forms. Therefore, it may be worthwhile to clarify further.

In general, meditative prayer can be mostly discursive or mostly affective. A discursive meditation follows a more logical development, analyzing a truth of the faith or a scripture passage in order to discover an insight or deepen one’s Christian understanding. That discovery or deepening leads the soul out of analysis and reflection and into conversation with God – acts of thanksgiving, praise, contrition, or petition. An affective meditation puts less emphasis on analysis or reflection, and more emphasis on the conversation, the acts of thanksgiving and praise that flow from the soul’s spiritual (not necessarily emotional) affections. Sometimes a mere glance at a biblical phrase can stir up a strong affection in the soul, and that is enough for the soul to enter into conversation with God; this is a (mostly) affective meditation. Other times, a long period of reflection, of analytical searching, finally yields an affection that leads to conversation; this is a mostly discursive meditation.

In certain seasons of the spiritual life, and often as the soul increases in spiritual maturity, meditation naturally becomes more affective. When a soul finds itself regularly and easily entering into contact with God, with hardly any discursive effort, this is often called the “prayer of quiet” or the “prayer of simplicity.” The soul finds itself easily gazing silently at the grandeur of God. Because so little effort is required in this kind of almost exclusively affective meditation, it is often called contemplative prayer. This is a common and valid use of the term. But it can cause confusion, because in a strict sense, and in the writings of mystics and theologians, contemplative prayer (“infused contemplation” is the technical term) goes even beyond this adoring gaze. We can gaze at the ocean and experience a deep sense of wonder, but it is another thing altogether to be submerged in the water. Infused contemplation is when God submerges us in himself; we no long gaze at God from without, but experience an ineffable union with him. Think of the piece of iron that is thrust into the fire and takes on the qualities of the fire.

And so, the most active type of mental prayer (as opposed to vocal prayer) is discursive meditation, which dovetails with affective meditation, which in turn culminates in the prayer of quiet, in which the soul enters effortlessly into extended acts of thanksgiving, praise, contrition, or petition. This is so effortless that it is akin to and often called contemplation. Infused contemplation, however, actually goes to a new level, lifting the soul out of itself and into the divine.

[url="http://rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/topics/prayer/mental#ixzz1Qlodsw4U"]As found at Roman Catholic Spiritual Direction[/url][/quote]

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1309437306' post='2260743']
Benedictines would probably agree.... Carmelites not ;)

[/quote]

Exactly my response!

Personally I tend to find that reading - even Scripture - distracts me. Once or twice I tried reading to focus my prayer and got so engrossed I read the whole hour without realising :blush: . I would sometimes pray in my reading time (ie Lectio Divina) but not read in my prayer time.

You've got to, got to, got to get "Contemplation" by Fr. Dubay on DVD! A w esome! Also, "Fire Within" book by Fr. Dubay!

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1309437306' post='2260743']
The most important thing of course, is just to spend some time alone with God, with no agenda. That doesn't mean that one can't start with some reading or a few prayers, but watching, listening, waiting, loving attentiveness... just being quiet enough exteriorly and interiorly to let Him speak to you... as if you had just finished your side of the conversation and were listening for His. not that He doesn't speak to us all the time, but we aren't always listening. Remember how Elijah waited for Him and He wasn't in the loud, noisy things, but in the gentle breeze? Like that.

As for the head/heart things, He speaks to both and heycheyistic prayer acknowledges that. Loving thoughts of Jesus can be an aid in the beginning, meditations on His life, and any aspect of Him that attracts you... but without trying to control your thoughts, letting them be guided by your interior state. True, deep prayer takes time, so setting a specific time is good for self-discipline, but God isn't a TV show that we turn on and off, but a relationship that develops the more we invest of ourselves. If you can find a longer block of time to give to this kind of prayer, such as at a retreat, it definitely helps because sometimes just the 'noise' of our own mental activity takes awhile to slow down and become quiet. But the more you do it, the deeper your love will grow and also your appreciation for His love, which He gives to us first.
[/quote]

:smile2:

Edited by JoyfulLife

• 2 weeks later...
inperpetuity

[quote name='the_rev' timestamp='1309404247' post='2260622']
I think this thread is appropriate for Vocation Station because I believe mental prayer is more of a Carmelite charism. I have somewhat of an idea of what it is and how it should be done but would be interested in how others do their mental prayer. Could you describe in steps? A priest recommended to me the other day that I needed to incorporate at least 15 minutes of mental payer into my prayer life, and I just don't know what that means, or how to do it.

Thank you all for the thoughts you may share. I really would like to take my prayer life deeper, but especially during the summer, that is difficult without a spiritual director.

Thanks.
[/quote]

While I am a true follower of St. Teresa of Avila and first learned about mental prayer from her books, the first book my spiritual director recommended to me was "The Ways of Mental Prayer", by Dom Vitalis Lehodey a Cistercian Abbot. Tan Books. Anyway, he goes into more detail about mental prayer than St. Teresa does as far as how and why to practice it although he quotes her extensively. This book helped me a lot. It was after reading this book that I was able to finally commit myself to practising mental prayer daily, and that is when I began to make some progress in my spiritual life. Actually I will have to read it again as there is so much in it. I am reading St. Teresa's books again as well and it's almost as though I never read them.