An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personal Attacks

dells_of_bittersweet

Vincent Vega

I remember when he posted on your wall or whatever it's called on here. What a personal hygiene apparatus he was.

Remember too, if you see something that you think violates the guidelines to click the report button.

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1308973501' post='2258391']
Hey Y'all,

I'm pretty new to this board, and I thought I'd mention that I think we have a problem with the personal attacks here. I know it's against the rules, but that doesn't appear to be stopping it.

I think as Catholics we have an obligation to show love to everyone, first because we're obliged too, and secondly, for the sake of our Atheist friends who must have a very low opinion of us Catholics for some of the things we're posting.

So show some love, alright?
[/quote]
Your face.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309014716' post='2258599']
Your face.
[/quote]

Note: Coming from Winchester, that's a huge compliment. If he didn't like you, he wouldn't have replied at all.

He was probably up late last night fighting a fire or something, so he's cranky. Or, he's alive, so he's cranky. ;)

dells_of_bittersweet

After reading through all the comment threads, here's what I think:

1. I think there are two types of Catholic v. Catholic debates: arguments about facts, and arguments about opinion. A hypothetical debate over the facts would be an argument as to whether gay marriage is allowed under church doctrine. A hypothetical argument over opinion would be communion in the hand vs. on the tongue. In terms of arguments about the facts, I think we need to show a united front in favor of what the church really teaches. I think Catholic v. Catholic arguments involving dogma or doctrine should be actively deleted, and possibly replaced with a moderator posting the definitive Church teaching. On the other hand, in terms of opinion debates, I think they should be allowed in full sight as long as they stay civil. At the risk of sounding like a liberal (I'm not one!), I agree with a previous poster who appreciated seeing the room for opinion in the Catholic Church. Where opinion is allowed, I think it's important for us to show that. Possibly consider more aggressive moderating of these discussion in order to maintain civility.

2. The Catholic Church is not an exclusive club, and it's important that we don't give that impression. Creating some kind of board with exclusive viewing looks really bad in my opinion. I think non-Catholics would wonder what we are trying to hide. I also think this leads to giving a very selective view of Catholicism, which should be avoided.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1308975231' post='2258418']
Shut up you two cotton headed ninny muggins!

[size="1"]edited to make less charitable[/size]
[/quote]

:hehe2:

Ash Wednesday

Any of you newer folks think it's bad now, you should see this place during Lent and election years.

Whoooo eeeee

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1309040906' post='2258739']
Any of you newer folks think it's bad now, you should see this place during Lent and election years.

Whoooo eeeee
[/quote]

Election season...you mean that time Dust opens up a special board about halfway through just to keep Open Mic sane?

Whoooo eeeee
[/quote]

Listen to the lady ... she knows of which she speaks.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1309045154' post='2258756']
Election season...you mean that time Dust opens up a special board about halfway through just to keep Open Mic sane?
[/quote]
Yes

faithcecelia

Whoooo eeeee
[/quote]

I will pray extra hard that I'm not still around by then, then!:blink:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1309047852' post='2258768']
I will pray extra hard that I'm not still around by then, then!:blink:
[/quote]

Well, I hope by that you mean departure from phatmass due to vocation obligations!

I encourage people to not let the bickering scare them away. For the most part, we're a cool bunch. Here's a screen grab from the Bush/Kerry election cycle.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Betterterm/phorum.jpg[/IMG]

We survived.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1309099387' post='2258858']
Well, I hope by that you mean departure from phatmass due to vocation obligations!

[/quote]

Yes :like: It would take more than a few disagreements :blink: to actually scare me away!