An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women Soldiers

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff) (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1308796693' post='2257507']
Ok I give up. I officially don't remember why you annoyed me before. I'm just going to believe that I've enjoyed your posts since day one.
[/quote]

I agree that it's hard to remember why we started fighting. But if you think I will be soon forgetting the ugly, slanderous things you said during the course of those arguments about my porcelain unicorn collection you are sadly mistaken.:mad5:

Why do you hate them so?

[img]http://www.aristocraticpet.com/images/7aa44.jpg[/img]

:cry4: :cry4: :cry4:

Edited by Hasan

xSilverPhinx

[img]http://www.aristocraticpet.com/images/7aa44.jpg[/img]

:|

*tilts head to the left*

:unsure:

*tilts head to the right*

I'm no art critic but...

...don't like. Must be that little flower next to its left foreleg.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1308805721' post='2257610']
Oh, no worries about not quite finding the words to express yourself. 'Duty with honour' is a much better concept than 'I love war!' ;)

But if you want to be poetic about it, try this:

By primitive conditions I meant lack of privacy. For instance...

My brother-in-law is in the infantry of the US Marines. On his last tour in Afghanistan, he spent 6 moths isolated with just his group, sure. But more than that...they were living under very primitive conditions. No roof. No interior walls. No furniture. No running water. No bathrooms. Electricity only when the generator was running. Basically, it was a large group of guys living within 4 walls with some sandbags getting shot at/ going on patrol every day and using buckets for their toilet needs with supplies being airlifted in since the roads were too hazardous to send a convoy. Oh, and it's 100 degrees/no shade.

I wasn't suggesting that sexual tension would be a major problem, though of course the isolation tends to add to that. I was more pointing out that such conditions are difficult enough as is with it being a single sex environment.
[/quote]

Fortunately women are not marines ahahah

So do you sort of agree that women should be more behind the scenes and not in a mission capacity? I know that when they send a women they usually send 3 or 4 of them to equal it out. But this is still a trying question for me. I have two friends who are US marines, and one friend who is in the reserve force in Canada. They all basically love what they do. One of them is going through extensive training, and if he fails he basically becomes a grunt and is sent to wherever it is the worst. The other never did specialized training and has already been to Afhganistan.

All in all I respect what these people try to do for our country. I know that sometimes they really mess it up, but most of them have their countries interest at heart.

Oh and nice job quoting Faramir there. He was one of my favorite LOTR characters (other then Sam).

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1308804063' post='2257587']
I also like the history of war (especially strategem), but not war. It's something interesting to watch documentaries about or read about.

I would prefer whoever is better able to do the job. Gender is secondary.

First scene:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerVrbLldXw[/media]

I'd bet that quite a few women could outdo him there...
[/quote]

I am sure a few women could :D But not after... hahah

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1308806468' post='2257613']
Kudos for the LOTR quote, especially since Tolkien was a WW2 vet and knew what he was talking about. :like:
[/quote]

Thanks! World War I, actually. He was in the trenches in the Somme. There are tearstains on the handwritten pages describing the Dead Marshes, suggesting he was very much drawing from his own experiences in describing war....as well as of course the heroic traditions from literature. It's a good, grounded blend he came up with, but he has said that Faramir expresses his own thoughts and opinions more than most of the other characters. John Garth's 'Tolkien and the Great War' is apparently an excellent resource, though I have not read it.

His sons were in WWII. One was in the RAF in South Africa, IIRC.

Women can join the Marines, [b]In Persona Christe[/b]. They just can't be in infantry. Basically, I don't have a strong opinion about women in the military, and never had any desire to join myself. My thought was merely that there's probably reasons beyond physical limitations for barring women from combat positions, and that the military command shouldn't be forced to change that. So, if you want to serve your country, go ahead! You probably won't 'see action', but so what? Doesn't mean you won't be shipped off to Kuwait or Qatar or Afghanistan. You'd still be part of the military, serving your country and supporting whatever missions we're involved in.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1308846181' post='2257709']
Thanks! World War I, actually. He was in the trenches in the Somme. There are tearstains on the handwritten pages describing the Dead Marshes, suggesting he was very much drawing from his own experiences in describing war....as well as of course the heroic traditions from literature. It's a good, grounded blend he came up with, but he has said that Faramir expresses his own thoughts and opinions more than most of the other characters. John Garth's 'Tolkien and the Great War' is apparently an excellent resource, though I have not read it.

His sons were in WWII. One was in the RAF in South Africa, IIRC. [/quote]

Whoops! I stand corrected. My LOTR trivia is a bit rusted...

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1308846181' post='2257709']
Women can join the Marines, [b]In Persona Christe[/b]. They just can't be in infantry. Basically, I don't have a strong opinion about women in the military, and never had any desire to join myself. My thought was merely that there's probably reasons beyond physical limitations for barring women from combat positions, and that the military command shouldn't be forced to change that. So, if you want to serve your country, go ahead! You probably won't 'see action', but so what? Doesn't mean you won't be shipped off to Kuwait or Qatar or Afghanistan. You'd still be part of the military, serving your country and supporting whatever missions we're involved in.
[/quote]

Yep, I like more of the missionary relief side. I have been considering a Medical carreer within the forces. Because you get to handle a lot of amesome weapons, I would not have to pay for my education, and I would have a secure job. I also have a desire to help people within the army. I know that is such a wierd attraction, but I have had it since i was quite little.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1308861703' post='2257787']
I also have this thought about reaching people in the world easier through the military (strange I know).
[/quote]
What do you mean by that? :)

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308861877' post='2257788']
What do you mean by that? :)
[/quote]

I know that their are already missionaries, but I really appreciate the work efforts of the military, how they go into remote area's to bring food and medical security for people. I just think that its good they go on those missions as well as the ones that keep our governments interests at heart.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1308866849' post='2257820']
I know that their are already missionaries, but I really appreciate the work efforts of the military, how they go into remote area's to bring food and medical security for people. I just think that its good they go on those missions as well as the ones that keep our governments interests at heart.
[/quote]
Honest question, not trying to start a flamewar: do you believe that the American military is working exclusively and effectively for the greater good everywhere in which it is currently operating?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308866997' post='2257823']
Honest question, not trying to start a flamewar: do you believe that the American military is working exclusively and effectively for the greater good everywhere in which it is currently operating?
[/quote]

From my soldier buddies I'd say that's what the majority of them believe. And in fact they do a lot of humanitarian work to help the people in the countries they tour in, as you'll hear frequently. But I also have at least one friend who signed up and left in disgust when his tour was over because he thought the humanitarian work was something to boost troop morale when the reality of why they were there was to enforce the "will" of the US government, by hook or by crook. Meaning, if the humanitarian aid doesn't assuage the people and you still get attacked then at least you're a soldier and you can just shoot them. It's a big part of the PTSD alot of guys get- the idea that they were "played" by the country they love. I have only ever talked about it in depth with one guy, who was a sniper. He won't tell me much about his tour, and I didn't want to press him. But one thing he told me has stuck with me: He thinks that it would have been better for him to sign on to a non-military humanitarian group if he wanted to go help the cause of freedom in other countries.

As a US citizen I can honestly say I do not ever want to be in a US-led invasion of another country. Now, if we got attacked by a *nation* or some other cohesive force and not some gang of terrorists that required an actual war in the "just war" sense then yes, I'd sign up to fight if need be. I'd honestly prefer to work a support role in that case. But chasing down criminals in other people's countries by sending in an army is just a bad idea on so many levels. It's what started World War I, if you recall.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1308868937' post='2257847']
From my soldier buddies I'd say that's what the majority of them believe. And in fact they do a lot of humanitarian work to help the people in the countries they tour in, as you'll hear frequently. But I also have at least one friend who signed up and left in disgust when his tour was over because he thought the humanitarian work was something to boost troop morale when the reality of why they were there was to enforce the "will" of the US government, by hook or by crook. Meaning, if the humanitarian aid doesn't assuage the people and you still get attacked then at least you're a soldier and you can just shoot them. It's a big part of the PTSD alot of guys get- the idea that they were "played" by the country they love. I have only ever talked about it in depth with one guy, who was a sniper. He won't tell me much about his tour, and I didn't want to press him. But one thing he told me has stuck with me: He thinks that it would have been better for him to sign on to a non-military humanitarian group if he wanted to go help the cause of freedom in other countries.

As a US citizen I can honestly say I do not ever want to be in a US-led invasion of another country. Now, if we got attacked by a *nation* or some other cohesive force and not some gang of terrorists that required an actual war in the "just war" sense then yes, I'd sign up to fight if need be. I'd honestly prefer to work a support role in that case. But chasing down criminals in other people's countries by sending in an army is just a bad idea on so many levels. It's what started World War I, if you recall.
[/quote]
I absolutely believe that most soldiers are there for what they believe to be the right reasons. However, I do have serious reservations about how right the reality of the situation is. I say this not to make anybody angry, because I know that here on Phatmass there are a lot of people with family in the military, and who respect the military greatly. However, I do have serious moral reservations about the armed conflicts we're seeing today, and I think it's something serious Catholics need to think very frankly about.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308869393' post='2257850']
I absolutely believe that most soldiers are there for what they believe to be the right reasons. However, I do have serious reservations about how right the reality of the situation is. I say this not to make anybody angry, because I know that here on Phatmass there are a lot of people with family in the military, and who respect the military greatly. However, I do have serious moral reservations about the armed conflicts we're seeing today, and I think it's something serious Catholics need to think very frankly about.
[/quote]

The guy I mention is going to be ordained a deacon in a year, if that gives you any indication. Yes, I totally agree with you.

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1308805512' post='2257606']
If this statement is true, do you think that women are to emotional for this task?
[/quote]

After this and a bunch of other posts, ive noticed you dont seem to place a lot of faith in your own gender.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308866997' post='2257823']
[/quote]

well, to the question, no they most certainly are not.

but further, the OP is a canadian, like you and me, so perhaps a better question is about the canadian military?

If one wants to engage in humanitarian efforts and 'save the world', why join the military (for which such efforts are a secondary [not primary] function.) I mean, yes, you can travel the world and do a lot of good as part of the military (American or Canadian), but that's not generally [i]why[/i] troops are deployed.

There are organizations where such projects are the primary focus. Why not join one?

Check out [url=http://www.vsocan.org/?setlang=/]VSO Canada[/url] for an alternative to the Peace Corps, or the many Catholic volunteer organizations that can be found at the [url=https://www.catholicvolunteernetwork.org/volunteers/search.php]CNVS Response directory[/url] or the [url=http://www.pallotticenter.org/index.php?m=cd]Pallotti Center's Connections Directory[/url]. Yes, these two are American-based, but many have opportunities for Canadians listed, or can get you connected to people who do.

Do not let 'volunteer' fool you - your basic needs and a stipend will be provided. You won't be saving up any money for later, but you *can* put this on your resume. You'll want a college degree and/or some work experience before doing a long term service mission, but anyone can do something short term (ie, summer).