An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Salvation Of Souls And Catholic Social Teaching

ryansouf504

KnightofChrist

My point was quite simply and undeniably that we should do all that we can as Christians to improve this world in accordance to the Gospel. However we must release that as long as Orignal Sin effects the world and sin is in the world there will always be hardships. There will always be war, there will always be hunger, there will always be those things that bring the world sorrow. There will always be the Cross. Until Christ returns in the final battle against the wicked and He defeats them there will always be tears to shed. Also the Second Vatican Council clearly taught in Gaudium et Spes that [i]Earthly progress (social justice) must be carefully distinguished from the growth of Christ's kingdom (Salivation). [/i]

Edited by KnightofChrist

katholikkid

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308379780' post='2255488']
Basically, the only legitimate Catholic perspective on the matter is this:

The 'social justice ministry' in its legitimate forms is [u]required[/u], but the prayerful/salvific/[i]spiritual[/i] aspect [u]must[/u] come first.
[/quote]

I find the legitimate Catholic perspective to treat them as equal, not interchangeable, but equal and cyclical. The spiritual aspect of our person hood is in no way separated from our physicality nor that of others. What we do and how we do it is necessary towards us working out our salvation. Social justice is in no way secondary to our interior life. It is not the same thing as it, it should not consume our entire being, nor should we have our salvation resting on one or the other. If a man fervently prays that the hungry may have food but does nothing to end the hunger of those around him what use is his prayer? If a man contemplates the love of the Father and Son from which the Holy Spirit flows but does not love his neighbor what is that but self-deception? If a man begs Gods forgiveness but refuses to forgive trespasses against him what use is that? The working out of salvation has its effects and manifestations on us and others. It comes from within and is witnessed to by our actions. Thus salvation CANNOT be separated from social justice. There is no first or second priority there is a synchronicity that exists in the tradition. Christ did not shirk injustice when he saw it. When the adulterous woman was to be stoned he did not ask her what she believed he interceded and because of that action she was able to hear "go and sin no more." The spiritual aspect exists just as much as the physical. We are just as responsible for what we do in both realms for we exist in both realms. Again we do not follow a Protestant theology of soteriology where the soul is absorbed into heaven and all is said and done. We believe in a bodily resurrection as Christ had where he did not leave behind the worldly. Christ is not a spirit he is a divine person a holy BODY. Both. We are called to be like Christ we are called to nurture both aspects in relation to ourselves, our brothers and sisters, and the entire world. AMDG

Edited by katholikkid

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308379780' post='2255488']
Basically, the only legitimate Catholic perspective on the matter is this:

The 'social justice ministry' in its legitimate forms is [u]required[/u], but the prayerful/salvific/[i]spiritual[/i] aspect [u]must[/u] come first.
[/quote]

Indeed.

cmotherofpirl

James 2:
14 What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him?
15 And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food:
16 And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit?
17 So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself.
18 But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith.
19 Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God.
24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only?
25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?
26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1308403547' post='2255533']
James 2:
14 What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him?
16 And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit?
18 But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith.
19 Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God.
25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?
26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead.
[/quote]

I love James.
He was Goode.
and a nice Fellows..

thanks for sharing...I love you for that.

katholikkid

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1308403547' post='2255533']
James 2:
[/quote]

I think this confirms the apostolic opinion on this matter. Along with earlier quotes from Saint Paul and Christ I think this shows how the Christian should think about the equality of social justice for persons and its fundamental role in salvation.

[quote name='katholikkid' timestamp='1308409939' post='2255566']
I think this confirms the apostolic opinion on this matter. Along with earlier quotes from Saint Paul and Christ I think this shows how the Christian should think about the equality of social justice for persons and its fundamental role in salvation.

[/quote]

Apostles had opinions on social justice.

Social justice includes Dorothy Day Centers.

Apostles opinions included Dorothy Day Centers.

THEY WERE PROPHETIC!!!!

I love logic.

cmotherofpirl

We work for social justice as if it all depends on us and we pray equally hard because it all depends on God.

KnightofChrist

Evangelization (salvation) is itself a good work, this good work is still primary to Social Justice. A parish's first and primary focus must be saving souls through Evangelization.