An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Salvation Of Souls And Catholic Social Teaching

ryansouf504

ryansouf504

[size="3"]Just recently I finished reading the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. It was a beautiful, yet dense examination of the Church teachings on social matters. Anyways, I often hear people say that the "Church exists [i]primarily[/i] for the salvation of souls". I am concerned about this saying. The Catholic Church does not only adhere to the sanctification's of the spiritual realm, but has always actively and participated in its surrounding cultures, hence, it witnesses to the temporal realm as well. The Compendium of Social Doctrine states, "As minister of salvation, the Church is not in the abstract nor in a merely spiritual dimension, but in the context of the history and of the world in which man lives." The Church implies that through the divine plan, it is in God's nature to cooperate with the well being all humanity. In addition, the Church builds upon this idea of guiding people to salvation by acknowledging her inevitable truths. Therefore, by working for a more dignified and just society, we are thrusting humanity to the heavenly realm. [/size]

[size="3"]Would you agree that as much as we should pray and work for the salvation of souls, we also have a responsibility to pray and work for a better and just society here on earth? [/size]

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by ryansouf504

Vincent Vega

[quote name='ryansouf504' timestamp='1308343054' post='2255267'] [size="3"]Would you agree that as much as we should pray and work for the salvation of souls, we also have a responsibility to pray and work a better and just society here on earth? [/size]
[/quote]
No, I would not consider them in equal standing. Primarily we are to work for the salvation of souls. If we can improve the temporal condition of the existence of us and others, that's great, but it should never upstage working to save souls.

Nihil Obstat

Social justice is only relevant when it is subordinated to mankind's salvation. It is a secondary goal.
It is a good thing to desire everyone to live in comfort and freedom, but none of that matters if we're not first bringing them the Truth of the Holy Church.

Ash Wednesday

[quote]Anyways, I often hear people say that the "Church exists primarily for the salvation of souls".[/quote]

In my experience, I rarely hear people say that at all. Apart from like-minded Catholics I know online, in many parishes and the like I hear a lot about social justice (which is fine), but I never hear anyone talk about saving souls.

I guess it depends on where you are? :idontknow:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

ryansouf504

Well said and very good insights. However, I dont thnk you can separate the two, I dont think Blessed JPII would agree with you:

For the Church, therefore, tending to the needs of man means that she also involves society in her missionary and salvific work. The way people live together in society often determines the quality of life and therefore the conditions in which every man and woman understand themselves and make decisions concerning themselves and their vocation. For this reason, the Church is not indifferent to what is decided, brought about or experienced in society; she is attentive to the moral quality — that is, the authentically human and humanizing aspects — of social life. Society — and with it, politics, the economy, labour, law, culture — is not simply a secular and worldly reality, and therefore outside or foreign to the message and economy of salvation. Society in fact, with all that is accomplished within it, concerns man. Society is made up of men and women, who are “the primary and fundamental way for the Church”. - Encyclical Letter[i] Redemptor Hominis[/i], 14: [i]AAS [/i]71 (1979), 284.

Let me know what you think?

Peace,

Ryan

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ryansouf504' timestamp='1308345241' post='2255311']
Well said and very good insights. However, I dont thnk you can separate the two, I dont think Blessed JPII would agree with you:

For the Church, therefore, tending to the needs of man means that she also involves society in her missionary and salvific work. The way people live together in society often determines the quality of life and therefore the conditions in which every man and woman understand themselves and make decisions concerning themselves and their vocation. For this reason, the Church is not indifferent to what is decided, brought about or experienced in society; she is attentive to the moral quality — that is, the authentically human and humanizing aspects — of social life. Society — and with it, politics, the economy, labour, law, culture — is not simply a secular and worldly reality, and therefore outside or foreign to the message and economy of salvation. Society in fact, with all that is accomplished within it, concerns man. Society is made up of men and women, who are “the primary and fundamental way for the Church”. - Encyclical Letter[i] Redemptor Hominis[/i], 14: [i]AAS [/i]71 (1979), 284.

Let me know what you think?

Peace,

Ryan
[/quote]
This is all true, but again, social justice issues are secondary to the salvation of souls. Better a man die poor and a saint than comfortable and complacent.

katholikkid

Whenever we create binaries out of the body and soul and begin to consider which deserves more attention so that the person may be saved we tread dangerous ground. We know in Scripture Christ never made such distinctions in fact he often intertwined and equated the body and soul with his saving ministry:

"[size=2]"[/size][color=black]And he came to Nazareth, where he was brought up: and hewent into the synagogue, according to his custom, on the sabbath day; and herose up to read. And the book of Isaias the prophet was deliveredunto him. And as he unfolded the book, he found the place where it was written: [b][i][u]TheSpirit of the Lord is upon me. Wherefore he hath anointed me to preach thegospel to the poor, he hath sent me to heal the contrite of heart, [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=49&ch=4&l=19#x"][color=#CC0000][19][/color][/url] Topreach deliverance to the captives, and sight to the blind, to set at libertythem that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord, and the dayof reward.[/u][/i][/b] And he began to say to them: [b]This day is fulfilled this scripture inyour ears[/b]." [/color]--Luke 4:16-21 Douay Rheims

"[color=black]Artthou he that art to come, or look we for another?[/color][color=black] [/color][color=black]And Jesus making answer saidto them: Go and relate to John what you have heard and seen[b][i][u].[/u][/i][/b][/color][b][i][u][color=black] [/color][/u][/i][/b][b][i][u][color=black]The blind see,the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise again, thepoor have the gospel preached to them.[/color] [/u][/i][/b]–Matthew 11:3-5 Douay Rheims"

[font="Arial"]We see in these passages and numerable others the equating of which I earlier spoke. We see physical and internal manifestations of the effect of Jesus being the Son of God. The result of people accepting Jesus to be who is says he is is salvation and Christ himself shows us what salvation looks like. Now equal does not mean interchangeable so no well-intentioned Christian should solely focus on the body or only the soul. That would not be in imitation of Christ in any way. Catholic Social Teaching is in no way secondary to the Gospel but is just as true and fundamental as Jesus being the Son of God. We cannot separate the spiritual and physical. The tradition preaches this most strongly in the Eucharist it is not Christ's spirit but his body and soul on the altar. [/font]
[font="Arial"]
[/font]
[font="Arial"]Finally in a defense of the view that Catholic Social Teaching is in no way inferior to the salvation of souls but is completely unrelated or secondary I call attention to this parable of Christ: [/font]
[font="Arial"]
[/font]
[i][b][font="Arial"][u]"[/u][/font][u]Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdomprepared for you from the foundation of the world.[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=35#x"][color=#CC0000][35][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]For I washungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I wasa stranger, and you took me in: [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=36#x"][color=#CC0000][36][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]Naked, and you covered me: sick, andyou visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me.[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=37#x"][color=#CC0000][37][/color][/url][u]Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did wesee thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink?[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=38#x"][color=#CC0000][38][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]And whendid we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee?[/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=39#x"][color=#CC0000][39][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]Or when didwe see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee?[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=40#x"][color=#CC0000][40][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]And theking answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it toone of these my least brethren, you did it to me. [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=41#x"][color=#CC0000][41][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]Then he shall say to them also thatshall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting firewhich was prepared for the devil and his angels.[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=42#x"][color=#CC0000][42][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]For I washungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not todrink.[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=43#x"][color=#CC0000][43][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]I was astranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and inprison, and you did not visit me.[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=44#x"][color=#CC0000][44][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]Then theyalso shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty,or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee?[/u][u] [/u][url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=25&l=45#x"][color=#CC0000][45][/color][/url][u] [/u][u]Then heshall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to oneof these least, neither did you do it to me."[/u][font="'Comic Sans MS"] --Matthew 21:31-46 Doauy Rheims[/font][/b][/i]
[i][b][font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font][/b][/i]
[font="Arial"][size="3"]We see here that Christ has chosen to identify himself with the hungry, the thirsting, the foreigner, the naked, the sick, and the prisoner. Just as strongly as he identifies himself in the Eucharist in John 6 he puts a salvation binding understanding to seeing him in this. The tradition has what is called the 7 corporal works of mercy which are strangely enough: [/size][/font][list][*]Feed the hungry[*]Give drink to the thirsty[*]Clothe the naked[*]Shelter the homeless[*]Visit the sick[*]Visit those in prison[*]Bury the dead[/list]
[font="Arial"][size="3"]Coincidence? I think not. Never ever in Scripture or magisterial Tradition has body and soul been separated when it comes to salvation. Catholic Social Teaching is scriptually as binding as Eucharist and traditionally as salvific as the Eucharist.We must strive to know Christ in the Eucharist which is His body, in the other members of the Church which is his body, and the homeless, the immigrant, the prisoner, and the [/size][size=2][/size][size="3"] which are his body. God bless.[/size][/font][i][b][font="'Comic Sans MS"] [/font][/b][/i]

katholikkid

Also you will note that the Corporal Works do not stand alone and are accompanied with the Spiritual Works of Mercy. Again equality of Body and Soul is a tradition of the Church to be taken into consideration.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308347885' post='2255334']
This is all true, but again, social justice issues are secondary to the salvation of souls. Better a man die poor and a saint than comfortable and complacent.
[/quote]

lolwut? Why do men have to die to begin with? Jesus conquered sin and closed the gates of Hell. It says so in the Creed. We're all going to go to heaven and live in glory. So why should we worry about it....

I love you.

ryansouf504

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308347885' post='2255334']
[/quote]

I'm curious what are the "social justice issues" that you are making secondary to salvation? And for the sake of clarifying terms, let's define salvation.

The Church defines salvation as: In biblical language the deliverance from straitened circumstances or oppression by some evil to a state of freedom and security. As sin is the greatest evil, salvation is mainly liberation from sin and its consequences. This can be deliverance by way of preservation, or by offering the means for being delivered, or by removing the oppressive evil or difficulty, or by rewarding the effort spent in co-operating with grace in order to be delivered. All four aspects of salvation are found in the Scriptures and are taught by the Church.

In addition, remember what Jesus said to Zacchaeus:

"Zacchaeus stood his ground and said to the Lord, Look, sir, I am going to give half my property to the poor, and If I have cheated anybody I will pay him back four times the amount. And Jesus said to him, Today SALVATION has come to this house, because this man too is a son of Abraham; for the Son of man has come to seek out and save what was lost" (Luke 19:8-9 New Jerusalem Bible). Jesus Christ is teaching us the need for repayment of debt (a Social Justice Issue), and he is still granting "salvation" to Zaccaheus, hence, the salvation of souls and Catholic Social Teaching are complimentary.

Also, remember what our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has taught, "love for widows and orphans, prisoners, and the sick and needy of every kind, is as essential to [the Church] as the ministry of the [b]sacraments[/b] and preaching of the Gospel" (Deus Caritas Est, no. 22).

Please do not think I am some liberal hippie who is trying to push the social justice agenda. I love Mother Church, as much as we should try to work for the salvation of souls, we should also have an equal responsibility to help the poor and oppressed.

Edited by ryansouf504

Nihil Obstat

I will address this when I get back home, unless someone else will do it in the meantime. :)

[quote name='ryansouf504' timestamp='1308349931' post='2255353']

Please do not think I am some liberal hippie who is trying to push the social justice agenda. I love Mother Church, I just don't like when people focus so much on "saving souls" they lose their responsibility to help the poor and oppressed.

[/quote]

It's okay!!!! We accept liberal hippies around here. And I didn't know the Church was a mother. I thought it was a place of purple ponies and rainbows...

As for saving souls...what is more important, helping our sisters and brothers get to heaven, or helping our sisters and brothers get out from under politircal oppression? That's really what you're asking....

I love you.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='katholikkid' timestamp='1308348101' post='2255342']
Also you will note that the Corporal Works do not stand alone and are accompanied with the Spiritual Works of Mercy. Again equality of Body and Soul is a tradition of the Church to be taken into consideration.
[/quote]

This.

Plus, if you are working for the salvation of souls then their betterment socially intrinsically happens as well in most cases. They go hand in hand.

Do God's will, and He will do the saving of souls and bodies. They're both important, but ultimately we don't have control over whether either one happens.

It's important to note, though, that those called to most closely resemble Christ in their lives - religious - are instructed by Roman Cannon Law to put primacy on prayer. Even active religious orders. The apostolic life flows from that and is empty without a true communion with God.

I find it odd to even think about arguing this point abstractly since no one who sees a naked person distinguishes between saving his soul and doing social justice. You just do what Christ would do and the Holy Spirit will work through you to accomplish what is the will of the Father.

A question for the OP: are you conflicted about some situation where you find a dichotomy between "saving souls" and "social justice"?

katholikkid

We cannot look at salvation as a thing we have that we can give to others. Just because your Catholic does not mean you have salvation it means you are striving daily to work out your salvation with fear and trembling within the Church of Christ to quote Saint Paul {Phil 2:12}. So charity and/or fighting for the opressed is not an individually efficacious action. Think of sin. It harms you and the community which is why we believe in confessing it to the preist who acts 'in persona ecclesiae' and 'in persona christi' in the sacrament of reconciliation. the same is true of charity it not only works towards your own salvation and unity with God {which is salvation ultimately} it has an effect on those recieveing it. If we have a scriptual and traditional model for what salvation on earth looks like we should strive for it. Scripture is overflowing with visions of what the kingdom looks like and who will be in it and it is the JUST man is spoken of frequently in the old testament as one who knows God and understands the implications of knowing God.

To work out our salvation we must conquer sin and let Christ reign. There is such a thing as structual sin that presents itself in economic and political systems that oppress the helpless and destroy life. Is it not our responsibility to try to overcome it with the Gospel message? Again not making a binary out of soul and body we must start with knowing God in Jesus through the Eucharist and realising that if Jesus said what he meant in the Gospel we cannot place a greater or lesser value on the spiritual rather than the physical. Christ came to save people. As Roman Catholics we believe in a bodily resurrection not some Protestant idea of heaven where our souls float around and we sip cappuccino's with eleanor roosevelt. So the idea that only souls go to heaven is a misguided view.

If the Church took that mode of operation it would not explain the great social justice tradition that lives on in various religious orders and communities. Mother Theresa for example did not solely go around to the helpless of Calcutta and preach to them as they died in anguish. She took them, washed them, fed them, and literally WORKED out her salvation as every great saint of our Church has and will. She also was not a non-profit organization for the ill. She let them know her motivation for acting the way she did. She was motivated by a great love that she found expressed in the Eucharist and because she understood the implications of that she was able to see Christ's broken body not only in the host but all around in the leprosy stained suffering abandoned people in her life. ADMG.