An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Marijuana In Montana

Era Might

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311165736' post='2271367']
So, I can put an ad on the internet that I am looking for a man to come to my house so I can kill and eat him. A man answers my ad and volunteers to be killed and eaten. I kill and eat him. All this is ok since it is in the privacy of my own home and none of anybody's business.

And no one can judge/condemn me b/c that would be forcing their morality on me.
[/quote]
The laws of a functioning society are there to stop us killing (and eating) each other.

So although killing is bad, loving is good. You could invite this man over and instead of killing and eating him, you could make love to him, as long as he is willing, The law won't judge you on this. Maybe your god would judge, but that judgement is not the law's place to make.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1311167495' post='2271379']
The laws of a functioning society are there to stop us killing (and eating) each other.

So although killing is bad, loving is good. You could invite this man over and instead of killing and eating him, you could make love to him, as long as he is willing, The law won't judge you on this. Maybe your god would judge, but that judgement is not the law's place to make.
[/quote]
But who gets to decide all this which is right or wrong, good or bad? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/idontknow.gif[/img]

Gotta love all the guys in favour of a Conservative, small government system, states rights, arguing for prohibition like that on a federal scale

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1311169552' post='2271398']
Gotta love all the guys in favour of a Conservative, small government system, states rights, arguing for prohibition like that on a federal scale
[/quote]
[img]http://vibranthealthworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/confused.jpg[/img]

So, I can put an ad on the internet that I am looking for a man to come to my house so I can kill and eat him. A man answers my ad and volunteers to be killed and eaten. I kill and eat him. All this is ok since it is in the privacy of my own home and none of anybody's business.

[/quote]

Yet another false analogy; marijuana usage is not morally, ethically or legally equal to murder and cannibalism. I refuse to answer this strawman.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311167899' post='2271383']
But who gets to decide all this which is right or wrong, good or bad? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/idontknow.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Righteousness is the providence of the Almighty; lawfulness is for the State.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311174363' post='2271522']
Yet another false analogy; marijuana usage is not morally, ethically or legally equal to murder and cannibalism. I refuse to answer this strawman.
[/quote]
No strawman... http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/psychology/cannibalism/9.html

Edited by Papist

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311167899' post='2271383']
[/quote]
You do, When you vote for your representatives.
Good or bad in a legal sense means functioning society, nothing more, nothing less.
Not necessarily related to a moral Good or Evil, that would make god and church surplus to requirements.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1311192216' post='2271868']
You do, When you vote for your representatives.
[/quote]
Well, if there's a rep who actually agrees with me on everything. Government gets the final say.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311189836' post='2271836']
No strawman... http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/psychology/cannibalism/9.html
[/quote]

Ok, first off all, this tidbit:

[quote]Brandes was one of them and they got together for dinner at Brandes’ home in Rotenburg. It’s hard to say whether Brandes had planned to serve his penis that night or whether it came up as an idea once the two men were together.

Meiwes claimed that Brandes wanted to have Meiwes cut off his penis. Meiwes then cooked the penis and they ate it together.[/quote]

Never eating bratwurst again.

But more to the point:

[quote]Cannibalism may not be against the law in Germany, but it guarantees one a free mental examination.[/quote]

Instead, he was charged, convicted, and denied an appeal for the law that he DID break--"murder for sexual pleasure." Now, you and I and everyone else probably knows that cannibalism is, um, less than savory. But it's not like this guy walked free; he broke a law and suffered the consequences for it, after trying to defend himself with the "he said it was okay" thing.

Which leads me to the point I made yesterday (and a hundred times in the last few weeks on PM)...

Murder and Hitler =/= marijuana usage and homosexuality.

The argument about it being "none of my business" works for a whole bunch of things, but not others. If you're breaking a law, you run the risk of suffering the consequences. My contention is that some laws--like the ones banning marijuana usage-- are unjust (and illogical) and should be tossed out. Until they are, you shouldn't be breaking them.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1310423752' post='2265941']
I think it's simple:

Mind your business.

This country would be a lot better off if everyone stopped trying to "help" other people through legislation and policy. Do your thing, and let others do theirs.
[/quote]

:clapping:

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311104517' post='2270268']
So laws are unnecessary b/c everyone knows what they should and shouldn't do. I see your point.
[/quote]

Laws are there to protect your rights, not to try to get people to live morally.

[/quote]

By killing and eating the man, you'd be infringing on his inherent and explicit right to life stated by the Constitution.

By smoking marijuana, you wouldn't be infringing on anyone else's rights.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1311288479' post='2273250']
Laws are there to protect your rights, not to try to get people to live morally.

[/quote]

Well, not really.

When you abide by the laws of your State (or state), you are living a "moral" life, by civilian standards.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311300140' post='2273410']
Well, not really.

When you abide by the laws of your State (or state), you are living a "moral" life, by civilian standards.
[/quote]

Well making laws and abiding by them are two different things. It's considered moral to abide by laws. But one should never make something illegal simply because "it's wrong."

(side note tangent)

I was watching Pawn Stars and this guy brought in a prohibition era Prescription Whiskey Bottle (in the box). Appearantly, you could go to your Dr. and get a prescription for whiskey.

Just seemed interesting...