An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecration To Celibate Chastity

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I read on another site that a lay person can be consecrated to celibate chastity by one's bishop. Has anyone heard about this? I never have. I gather (I have asked questions on the other site - Catholic Answers Forums - no responses as yet, early days) that one can apply to one's Bishop to be consecrated to celibate chastity while remaining in the lay state as a consecrated person. This is not consecration into the Order of Virgins, nor as a diocesan hermit.

God bless - Barb

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1307316341' post='2250270']
I read on another site that a lay person can be consecrated to celibate chastity by one's bishop. Has anyone heard about this? I never have. I gather (I have asked questions on the other site - Catholic Answers Forums - no responses as yet, early days) that one can apply to one's Bishop to be consecrated to celibate chastity while remaining in the lay state as a consecrated person. This is not consecration into the Order of Virgins, nor as a diocesan hermit.

God bless - Barb
[/quote]

Yes, I know at least one person, a divorced mother of adult children, who was publicly consecrated by her archbishop. She is a wonderful person living a committed Christian life.

I understand this was under Canon 604 but don't know the details, really. It might depend on the interpretation of the Canon by different bishops and canonists.

Peace!
Orans

BarbTherese

[quote name='Orans' timestamp='1307337861' post='2250359']
Yes, I know at least one person, a divorced mother of adult children, who was publicly consecrated by her archbishop. She is a wonderful person living a committed Christian life.

I understand this was under Canon 604 but don't know the details, really. It might depend on the interpretation of the Canon by different bishops and canonists.

Peace!
Orans
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, Orans. Your response is very interesting. I have never heard of this - and I tend to agree that it may be the prerogative of individual bishops and certainly in my diocese my information is that our Archbishop is even reluctant to consecrate to the eremitical life under Canon 603. My information also is that only physical virgins can be consecrated under Canon 604.

Here are Canon 603 and 604.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P1Y.HTM

[quote]Can. 603 §1. In addition to institutes of consecrated life, the Church recognizes the eremitic or anchoritic life by which the Christian faithful devote their life to the praise of God and the salvation of the world through a stricter withdrawal from the world, the silence of solitude, and assiduous prayer and penance.

§2. A hermit is recognized by law as one dedicated to God in consecrated life if he or she publicly professes in the hands of the diocesan bishop the three evangelical counsels, confirmed by vow or other sacred bond, and observes a proper program of living under his direction.

Can. 604 §1. Similar to these forms of consecrated life is the order of virgins who, expressing the holy resolution of following Christ more closely, are consecrated to God by the diocesan bishop according to the approved liturgical rite, are mystically betrothed to Christ, the Son of God, and are dedicated to the service of the Church.

§2. In order to observe their own resolution more faithfully and to perform by mutual assistance service to the Church in harmony with their proper state, virgins can be associated together.[/quote]

I know there is a movement in The Church for widows to be able to be consecrated to celibate chastity and it is very likely that this will happen at a not too distant date - or so my sources tell me. But one will need to be a widow.

I have noticed in 'doing the rounds' of Catholic Discussion Sites that there seem to be quite a few women with adult children for example who would like to be consecrated to celibate chastity but there is no way, I am told, that they can seek this since they are not physical virgins nor widows. They can of course.....sometimes.....and providing they have an annulment, enter a religious order or a secular institute some of whom do have formal consecration after a diiscernment and formation period. Some are unable to enter religious life for example due to age and/or health reasons. Some seem to be very active in The Church, faithful Catholics and aoveralong period, and would not qualify as diocesan hermits under Canon 603, nor experience a call to that way of life.

It seems to me very sad that there seems to be many women, sound in their Faith, who would like to be formally consecrated to celibate chastity but do not have the opportunity - at least in the majority of diocese it would seem. And frankly, I am delighted to hear that at least one woman has been consecrated, as you have quoted, but I doubt it would be under Canon 604 since my info is that one has to be a physical virgin (unless my information, of course, is very wrong). I was advised many years ago by a Jesuit theologian lecturing in our Catholic University to seek consecration under Canon 604 and at that time had no idea what Canon 604 actually was (I had no computer back then) and was promptly informed by diocesan offices and in no no uncertain terms that it was for physical virgins only and obviously I did not qualify. Why the Jesuit I mentioned advised me to seek consecration under Canon 604, I have no idea since he knew I had adult children and my marriage had been annuled. I had gone to see him on an unrelated matter connected to a talk I was giving, and never returned to inform him of his misinformation to me.

Your information is very interesting indeed - and thank you for sharing it.

God bless - Barb
Edit: It would be very interesting to get some feedback whether Canon 604 can be interpreted by individual bishops and/or canonists and that it is not strictly limited to physical virgins with no exceptions under Canon Law.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Sr. Laurel is a consecrated hermit in the diocese of Oakland. She is SRLAUREL or SrLaurel on phat, tho' she doesn't post often. She knows all the canon law relative to consecrated virgins and hermits.

Her blog is:

[url="http://notesfromstillsong.blogspot.com/"]http://notesfromstil...g.blogspot.com/ [/url]

Sister_Laurel

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1307348937' post='2250386']
Thank you for your reply, Orans. Your response is very interesting. I have never heard of this - and I tend to agree that it may be the prerogative of individual bishops and certainly in my diocese my information is that our Archbishop is even reluctant to consecrate to the eremitical life under Canon 603. My information also is that only physical virgins can be consecrated under Canon 604.

Here are Canon 603 and 604.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P1Y.HTM

I know there is a movement in The Church for widows to be able to be consecrated to celibate chastity and it is very likely that this will happen at a not too distant date - or so my sources tell me. But one will need to be a widow.

I have noticed in 'doing the rounds' of Catholic Discussion Sites that there seem to be quite a few women with adult children for example who would like to be consecrated to celibate chastity but there is no way, I am told, that they can seek this since they are not physical virgins nor widows. They can of course.....sometimes.....and providing they have an annulment, enter a religious order or a secular institute some of whom do have formal consecration after a diiscernment and formation period. Some are unable to enter religious life for example due to age and/or health reasons. Some seem to be very active in The Church, faithful Catholics and aoveralong period, and would not qualify as diocesan hermits under Canon 603, nor experience a call to that way of life.

It seems to me very sad that there seems to be many women, sound in their Faith, who would like to be formally consecrated to celibate chastity but do not have the opportunity - at least in the majority of diocese it would seem. And frankly, I am delighted to hear that at least one woman has been consecrated, as you have quoted, but I doubt it would be under Canon 604 since my info is that one has to be a physical virgin (unless my information, of course, is very wrong). I was advised many years ago by a Jesuit theologian lecturing in our Catholic University to seek consecration under Canon 604 and at that time had no idea what Canon 604 actually was (I had no computer back then) and was promptly informed by diocesan offices and in no no uncertain terms that it was for physical virgins only and obviously I did not qualify. Why the Jesuit I mentioned advised me to seek consecration under Canon 604, I have no idea since he knew I had adult children and my marriage had been annuled. I had gone to see him on an unrelated matter connected to a talk I was giving, and never returned to inform him of his misinformation to me.

Your information is very interesting indeed - and thank you for sharing it.

God bless - Barb
Edit: It would be very interesting to get some feedback whether Canon 604 can be interpreted by individual bishops and/or canonists and that it is not strictly limited to physical virgins with no exceptions under Canon Law.
[/quote]

Canon 604 cannot be interpreted by individual Bishops in a way which excludes physical virginity (rape, however, does not change the person's condition as virgin since she has not given herself to anyone in this way and may thus give herself to Christ thusly; that is the only exception I know of). Canon 603 can be used to consecrate ANY unmarried person with a call to solitary eremitical life so long as there are no impediments to public vows. So, if one has been married, the person must be widowed or divorced with a declaration of nullity. Married persons and couples will NOT be admitted to profession under Canon 603 since it indicates a call to solitary eremitical life.

However, let me be clear that it is not enough to be living alone to be professed and consecrated under this Canon. Many people live alone, and live pious, prayerful lives as well, but they are not hermits and never will be. One must make the transition from lone person to lay hermit before a diocese will consider professing one under Canon 603 and this takes as long as it takes ---- sometimes many years. (In other words, there are many forms and reasons for living solitude. Some are transitional or therapeutic. Only rarely does solitude per se indicate a call to eremitic life, and this often takes years to unfold, discern, etc.)

What is referred to as the consecration of Widows has been used very very rarely in the US and JPII mentions this ancient vocation in his Vita Consecrata, BUT the vocation is not yet ratified by Rome (something required by c 605 for all new forms of consecrated life), and therefore, is not yet canonical nor does it represent a legitimate instance of initiation into the consecrated state. A widow may dedicate herself to celibate chastity with a private vow, but she cannot be consecrated at this point in time.

Thus, at this time in Canon Law there are two forms of non-religious (non-communal) consecrated life: diocesan hermits (c 603) and consecrated virgins (c 604). The call to consecrated widowhood may be revived in time. I hope it is, and sooner rather than later.

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1307348937' post='2250386']

I have noticed in 'doing the rounds' of Catholic Discussion Sites that there seem to be quite a few women with adult children for example who would like to be consecrated to celibate chastity but there is no way, I am told, that they can seek this since they are not physical virgins nor widows.
[/quote]

The consecration of virgins and widows is a very ancient tradition in the Church, it is the most primitive -early- form of consecrated life. It is a significant step that we now have Canons 604 and 603 in the new Code of Canon Law of the early eighties after VCII.

I know that there is a significant movement of women, single parents of adult children, and others, yearning for some meaningful avenue to live their life in consecrated celibacy dedicated to the spiritual journey and service to the local church community.

There is no doubt about what the Canons say so far. But Canon Law is a work in progress which follows life and doesn't create it. That is, you don't look for the latest movements of the Spirit in the Canons. The Spirit works in the people primarily, and it is from the people -the Christian faithful and their Pastors- that life is born and later recognized, and rules or canons are created to serve the existing life.

I can tell you for sure that this woman I know was publicly (canonically) consecrated by the bishop around ten years ago and she continues living out her consecration today. Don't take my word about her being "divorced" as her ultimate marriage condition, I never cared to probe the specifics although I have the sense that she had a declaration of nullity of her marriage too. Even though I don't know all the technical details of her case -like for presenting them to a canonist, I assure you I know the person, her ministry, and at least one of her sons, that is, I'm not talking from hearsay but from a real case.

Besides the groups you mention, I know there are also men who don't have a vocation to become hermits seeking some avenue for consecration to a life of celibacy recognized by the Church -different from religious life and the priesthood. One well known case is that of Brother Wayne Teasdale, consecrated as a solitary monk (not a hermit) in the hands of archbishop Francis Cardinal George of Chicago in 2003. Br. Wayne, very well known and respected in the Inter-religious Dialogue atmosphere, died in 2004.

Canon Law, as necessary and important as it is, is not going to open the channel for these vocations unless people who have the call start living it out and becoming significant to the Christian community through their charismatic gift of consecrated celibacy.

Thus, Barb, my question to you -or to any single parent woman with this desire for consecration to celibacy, would be,

How would your life look like if you were allowed to proceed towards public consecration? What would change that would make a different in your life and be clear enough for the Church to be visible? And my suggestion: Go for it! Start living AS IF.

As a diocesan hermit I've experienced that the consecration comes only after there is evidence that the vocation, the life, is lived by the candidate hermit. At least in most cases. There are many more true hermits than those recognized by the Church. And even Canon 603 #1 recognizes the life and the vocation of lay hermits. It was because there were significant numbers of individuals living the solitary vocation that some bishops requested from the Vatican to have the vocation recognized within the umbrella of Consecrated life.

I would really encourage you and others to pursue your felt vocation. In God's time it will be recognized by the Church, like every movement of the Spirit. Don't give up. Pray, discern, look for serious spiritual direction, and network with other like minded -or rather like spirited- women. Follow the lead of the Spirit through prayer and discernment. Live out your baptismal consecration in imitation of Christ Chaste with the fullness that you envision a future charismatic consecration would express in your life

Your question brings to mind this passage of scripture:
Lk 1, 34, "[i]How will this be, since I am a virgin?"[/i] Which could be paraphrased into [i]How would this be, since I am not a virgin?[/i]
And we know the Angel's response:
[i]vs. 37: Nothing is impossible with God.[/i]

Praying for you and for this intention, your sister in Christ,
Orans

Edited by Orans

BarbTherese

What a lovely post - thank you, Orans. Thank you too to Sr. Laurel.

I have been living the way I live for over 30 years now probably even close to over 35yrs, I am not good with dates, and with spritual direction and under private vows. Over the passage of those 30 years and especially since I was given this computer, I seem to notice more women for one reason or another not entering religious life or any other recognized in Canon Law consecrated life, who nevertheless are living a specific way of life that is founded in the Gospel, some with very specific ministries, who would like to be able to be formally consecrated by The Church. As you point out, Orans, Canon Law follows life and what exists at this point in Canon Law and what it excludes, could well change at some future point. I am hoping that it will and if God Wishes it, then it surely will for as all things are possible to God, so nothing can stand in His Way - and very often His Ways can be mysterious to us.
I know that The Church is sensitive in a positive way to new forms of consecrated life, hence all your comments are most appreciated.
"All is well, all is well and all manner of things shall be well" (Julian of Norwich)

I truly love you very warming little interpretation from Luke in The Annunciation scene. How very encouraging and indeed affirming you are. Thank you very much indeed - and I needed a bit of human warmth today - bad day "at the office" :wall:

God bless - Barb

BarbTherese

Not all that long ago, if one raised the subject of a vocation to the single celibate lay state, disagreements would arise most often as to whether it was a vocation or not. More recently, I am reading some really good articles at times on the single celibate lay state and it seems to be coming into the fore more and accepted as a vocation and, of course, many know that it is indeed a vocation and call.

Here is another really good and not lengthy article the link to which I have copied from another thread:

http://www.presentationministries.com/brochures/Single.asp
[u][b]Renewing the Church and the
Vocation to the Single Life[/b] [/u]

[quote] "The Lord is raising up certain lay single people to renew the Church. This is a rare calling but not as rare as it used to be. The raising up of lay single people to lead and work in transparochial, national, or international ministries may well be the key to renewing the Church."[/quote]

The link to the above article was originally posted by J[b]oyfulLife[/b] in the thread [b]"Vocation to the Single Life"[/b]

Edited by BarbaraTherese

That was a beautiful post, Orans. Thank you.

And I think you pose a wonderful question: what would this life look like if it were to be lived? That's something that those who are called to such a life should think about, pray over, and discuss.

Just from a common sense look at history, it seems to me that living as a celibate lay person must have been a common vocation in the Early Church. How could every Christian woman be a virgin and thus be "officially" consecrated as a virgin? That seems to be a rather hopeful and unrealistic view of the sexual morality of people during Jesus' time... There were definitely plenty of repentant sinners like St. Mary Magdalene, and I'm sure many of those chose to live out the rest of their lives celibately, totally given to God, serving the Apostles and the entire Church.

It seems the need to categorize definite ways of life (aside from the clergy) came later. Sometimes, in the desire to conform our lives to Canon Law, we forget to simply live as God desires us to live - united to Him, loving Him and one another. If such a movement is present in the Church, I think it's a wake-up call for all Christians to stop focusing so much on titles, divisions, religious orders, laws, etc., and instead try to walk in love, in Christ.

BarbTherese

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1307469630' post='2250859']
That was a beautiful post, Orans. Thank you.

And I think you pose a wonderful question: what would this life look like if it were to be lived? That's something that those who are called to such a life should think about, pray over, and discuss.

Just from a common sense look at history, it seems to me that living as a celibate lay person must have been a common vocation in the Early Church. How could every Christian woman be a virgin and thus be "officially" consecrated as a virgin? That seems to be a rather hopeful and unrealistic view of the sexual morality of people during Jesus' time... There were definitely plenty of repentant sinners like St. Mary Magdalene, and I'm sure many of those chose to live out the rest of their lives celibately, totally given to God, serving the Apostles and the entire Church.

It seems the need to categorize definite ways of life (aside from the clergy) came later. Sometimes, in the desire to conform our lives to Canon Law, we forget to simply live as God desires us to live - united to Him, loving Him and one another. If such a movement is present in the Church, I think it's a wake-up call for all Christians to stop focusing so much on titles, divisions, religious orders, laws, etc., and instead try to walk in love, in Christ.
[/quote]

I had a bit of think as to how my life would look if I were consecrated by The Church to celibacy. I think it would look just as it is both exteriorly and interiorily- except that my family and friends would know what my life is about, that it is not about not being able to find a suitable person to marry, nor is it about doing something 'outrageous' in The Church. It is surprising how many Catholics can think that because one is not publically consecrated by The Church in some way and chosen private vows that one is something of a 'rebel and 'heretic' ' and I tend not to mention my private vows as it is a confusing issue for some Catholics and also non Catholics. This, I think, is a flow on effect of many mature Catholics being formed pre V2 who still hold that there are three vocations only - you either marry, become a priest or enter religious life. That my life is about embracingThe Gospel and a certain ministry and as my call and vocation in life and in the single celibate lay state.

I agree Chamomile that the single celibate lay man or woman is not something that has suddenly popped up in the 20th century finding more ground in the 21st.

Barb

faithcecelia

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1307499887' post='2251092']
I had a bit of think as to how my life would look if I were consecrated by The Church to celibacy.[i] I think it would look just as it is both exteriorly and interiorily- except that my family and friends would know what my life is about, that it is not about not being able to find a suitable person[/i] [i]to[/i] marry, nor is it about doing something 'outrageous' in The Church. It is surprising how many Catholics can think that because one is not publically consecrated by The Church in some way and chosen private vows that one is something of a 'rebel and 'heretic' ' and I tend not to mention my private vows as it is a confusing issue for some Catholics and also non Catholics. This, I think, is a flow on effect of many mature Catholics being formed pre V2 who still hold that there are three vocations only - you either marry, become a priest or enter religious life. That my life is about embracingThe Gospel and a certain ministry and as my call and vocation in life and in the single celibate lay state.

I agree Chamomile that the single celibate lay man or woman is not something that has suddenly popped up in the 20th century finding more ground in the 21st.

Barb
[/quote]

I gave serious thought to whether God was calling me to be a single woman in the world, and this was something that, had that been my calling, would have been the hardest for me to deal with without vows. The life I lifed for a time would have been a valuable longterm vocation had it been Gods will - I was working for my parish, was involved with the youth and confirmation classes and had time to devote to prayer. Yet people constantly asked me whether I had a boyfriend, etc! As it turned out, God was calling me to be a nun but breaking me in gently, yet I think in many ways the calling to lay celibate life would have been far harder.

BarbTherese

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307500612' post='2251096']
I gave serious thought to whether God was calling me to be a single woman in the world, and this was something that, had that been my calling, would have been the hardest for me to deal with without vows. The life I lifed for a time would have been a valuable longterm vocation had it been Gods will - I was working for my parish, was involved with the youth and confirmation classes and had time to devote to prayer. Yet people constantly asked me whether I had a boyfriend, etc! As it turned out, God was calling me to be a nun but breaking me in gently, yet I think in many ways the calling to lay celibate life would have been far harder.
[/quote]

I rejoice in your call to religious life! God will provide all the Graces necessary to live that vocation as He has provided the call and the qualities and inclinations etc. necessary.

I have never thought of my way of life over around 35 years or so now as a hard way of life. Although initially it was - I did not find it easy making the transition journey from 15 years of marriage and a comfortable marital life financially and at least initially emotionally and spiritually too. The transition journey was rough, but not impossible and God kept supporting me to make that transition, otherwise, the truth of the matter is, that I never would have persevered. I found it very hard not to have a prime focus on being a wife and mother and in a family situation in every way. I found it difficult to let go of my dreams for the future within that vocation. The transition journey was to adjust my psychology, I can now see. My marriage was annuled and that gave me the complete freedom to make private vows. God and His Grace still supports me, otherwise truth of the matter is I would not have persevered to this point and I can hardly believe so many years have passed.

I never undertook anything without spiritual direction and this continues to this day. In fact, the initial suggestion that I could make private vows and explanation of it came from my spiritual director (pre divorce by my exhusband and until Father's death some 8 years later and well after my divorce). He was a moral theologian who lived and lectured in our seminary then. He suggested the annulment. I came in contact with him as he had been our chaplain for a Christian Life Movement group I belonged to prior to divorce. Over time we became friends and he just sort of slipped into the role of my director and confessor. Father was the one that identified that I had already begun to live a sort of 'religious life' (sort of, not per se!) and advised me that I could either enter religious life per se, or make private vows and formalize and structure the life I had alreadybegaun to live. At that point, I was still in the workforce. He was not the priest that many years later (also a priest theologian) suggested I approach the diocese for consecration to Chastity - I was promptly informed by the diocese that it was consecration to a life of virginity and that I would not qualify having adult children (in thier twenties then) and an annulment.

I am a student and have a regular routine of prayer and also simple penance. I live alone and have a spiritual director. My ministry, and this is not my term, is whatever Divine Providence elects for any day and sometimes these are just passing matters, other days it can occupy a period of time. Often these matters can arise on campus through friendships made. I am especially inclined towards care and hospitaly to all - and to anyone in need especially if alone, abandoned, neglected - and have had this disposition since a child - it is a natural inclination. I am a trained counsellor and did work on a voluntary basis as a counsellor prior to my marriage collapse.

I am in a relatively new parish and have approached Father to be a standby in the parish office as my career days were as a private secretary. He is trying to get a lift for me to Mass - currently I am going to Mass by bus and returning by taxi. Once I have regular transport to Mass and back, I am hoping to volunteer as a reader and to help out with parish functions. I am inclined more towards 'works' outside of strictly within the parish and more towards the general community. I have a few 'irons in the fire' which would involve me outside the parish including voluntary work for the Mental Illness Fellowship. Being rather new to this suburb and parish, and also heavily involved with study, I am still very much in the adjustment period after shifting although my way of life has always since inception had the feature of a 'ministry' of "whatever you send, Lord" or Divine Providence.
"All is Grace" (St Therese of Lisieux).

God bless - Barb

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1307505144' post='2251127']
my way of life has always since inception had the feature of a 'ministry' of "whatever you send, Lord" or Divine Providence.
[/quote]

I enjoyed reading the description of your life in service to Our Lord, Barb. This idea of doing whatever Divine Providence sends you reminded me of this quote:
[color="#545454"][font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]

[quote][color="#000000"][font="Arial"]Always look to Heaven, and measure every step of your life so that it is a step towards it. It seems to me that it is so simple and at the same time comprehensive.[/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"]You ask, 'Shouldn't i be doing something?' Of course that is necessary. Do whatever falls to your hands, in your circle and in you situation–and believe that this is and will be your TRUE work; nothing more from you is required. IT IS A GREAT ERROR TO THINK THAT YOU MUST UNDERTAKE IMPORTANT AND GREAT LABORS, whether for heaven, or, as the "progressives" think, in order to make one's contribution to humanity. That is not necessary at all. It is necessary only to do everything in accordance with the Lord's commandments. Just exactly what is to be done? Nothing in particular, just that which presents itself to each one according to the circumstances of his or her life, and which is demanded by the individual events with which each of us meets. THAT IS ALL! God arranges the lot of each person, and the entire course of life of each one is all His all-good industry, as is each moment and each meeting. In all instances, and during each meeting, it is necessary to do what God wants us to do. As to what He wants, we certainly know that from the commandments He has given us. Is someone seeking help? Help him. Has someone offended you? Forgive and make peace. Did somebody praise you? Don't be proud. Did somebody scold you? Do not be angry. Is it time to pray? Pray. Is it time to work? Work. Etc., etc., etc.[/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"]If, after all of this has been explained, you set about to act in this way in every instance, so that your works will be pleasing to God, having carried them out according to the commandments without any deviation, then all the problems of your life will be solved completely and satisfactorily.'[/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"]~ St. Theophan The Recluse[/font][/color]

[/quote]

[/font][/color]
[color="#545454"][font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I don't know why the color of the quote is black instead of the color of the other text, and I don't feel like trying to figure out how to change that :yawn: . [/font][/color]
[font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font]

BarbTherese

It all unfolded. Long before I had this computer and realizing that I would be living life alone, not in community, I happened across a book by Thomas Merton called "Contemplation in a World of Action". There was a chapter on the eremitical life (and at this stage I did not realize it could be a consecrated state). At this point too, I was no longer working. Merton said something that alalrmed and then amused me "sit in your cell and your cell will tell you what to do" - but having nothing better to do at that point, gave it a spin anyway and it was really amazing how after about two weeks or so I had fallen into a routine and a little further down the line a lifestyle had unfolded whereas previously I had no idea what I was going to do after I left work. I was very blindly depending on God to show the way.

A couple of years after that "Abandonment to Divine Providence" by de Caussade fell into my hands. That along with the works of St. Francis de Sales "Introduction to the Devout Life" and the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux (my Confirmation patron) have really impacted on me, been real learning curves at the points they appeared in my life, and stay very close. For me, God's Will is alive and dynamic and unfolds in the moments of my days.

Thank you for very much for the quote, it spoke to me - is there a title to the work? I will try to get it.

God bless - Barb
When one reflects on the life of Our Lady, she was a very ordinary woman doing very ordinary things - yet her life was absolutely extraordinary through God's ordaining. A preist once said to me "imitate Mary in Nazareth". At first I thought, but we know hardly anything about her life in the day to day. But then later it hit me "Precisely!" This was a feature of the life of St. Therese also - a very ordinary nun doing ordinary 'nunish' things. So much so her fellow sisters thought of her an ok sort of Carmelite nun, but nothing special. Yet her life by God's ordaining was extraordinary.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

If you connect 'the dots'. God calls us all to be saints, all we need do is co-operate with that Grace offered. And sanctity is to be about the Will of God faithfully and lovingly - more attached to God's Will than our own desires. That is where the quotation from St Theophan is very powerful and a 'final dot' as it were.

Edited by BarbaraTherese