An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Free Masons

BigJon16

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='White Knight' timestamp='1306945745' post='2248734']
Freemasons attempt to call it that, however, the common sense factor kicks in with that path, and one can only ignore those questions for so long, before they start to get a "it doesn't matter policy." going on in their head. Ya it may start out as tolerance, but it evenually leads down a road, where people begin to even question the very meaning of religion, "if all lead to heaven, it doesn't matter." which makes people indifferent, because then they wouldn't care. thus it leads to agnostism, or even atheism. It may not be that at first, but thats how it turns out.

It may claim to promote tolerance among all religions, however this thinking is very much a mask to the deeper layers of the lifestyle for a freemason.
[/quote]

You sort of make it sound as if religion is about getting into heaven. It's a way of viewing existence and purpose on Earth, and some of those views gain characteristics that end up getting it called a religion.

The free masons have a higher emphasis on humanism is seems and are influenced by the ideals of the Enlightenment, and that can go into conflict with religions that don't and aren't. It's not that they're tolerant in the sense that they accept all views among their members (you have to be a believer, since the "architect" is in the picture) but they're not religious sectarians.

Though in my view, masonry is a quasi religion, with all the structure, rituals and stuff.

so I've always knew the Church was very much against freemasonry but I was never sure exactly why. (and I don't think a lot of people are since their organization is so hush-hush) well.. I did some investigating, and found two youtube videos of people flipping through a masonic bible. (They weren't masons themselves, they just happened to have a copy of this "Top secret" bible. ) Well, they basically put a pagan and satanic spin on the Christian bible It was all pretty creepy. In the back it claimed "amen" was the name of some pagan god, so amen meant you were praying to it.Don't quote me on this part but the first 3 degrees, they are asking for "light", "More light" and "further light". the further along you get in the degrees, you find this "light" is Lucifer. it was all pretty spooky, and now know very much why the Holy Catholic Church is against freemasonry.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post he links here (per phatmass rules) but it was rather easy to find on youtube

White Knight

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1306956797' post='2248858']
You sort of make it sound as if religion is about getting into heaven. It's a way of viewing existence and purpose on Earth, and some of those views gain characteristics that end up getting it called a religion.

The free masons have a higher emphasis on humanism is seems and are influenced by the ideals of the Enlightenment, and that can go into conflict with religions that don't and aren't. It's not that they're tolerant in the sense that they accept all views among their members (you have to be a believer, since the "architect" is in the picture) but they're not religious sectarians.

Though in my view, masonry is a quasi religion, with all the structure, rituals and stuff.
[/quote]

[b]To XSilverPhinx:[/b] Yes I remember Mr. John Salva addressing that in his interview about how you have to be a believer in the something, and a atheist cannot join their ranks, true. However their philosophy says that on the surface, but once the ball starts rolling, its hard to stop with all the questions leading to other questions. Its almost logically and inevitable that people would almost lose their "sense of reasoning" grow "indifferent, apathetic, agnostic, or even atheistic" thats what John Salva's witness was among his experience, with other masons, they became so cold to the idea of the existance of a Divine Being, that they became ethier agnostics or losing belief in the supernatural all together, thus atheists.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1306955746' post='2248823']
Atheism isn't an "I don't care" path. Atheism is a stance where a person cannot hold onto a belief in gods, they don't and can't beleive, the theories don't match their ideas of reality and there is no bridge. A person that doesn't care is an Apathest.
[/quote]

[b]To steviltimestamp:[/b] Apathy from what Ive noticed tends to be more evident in people who claim to be agnostics rather than Atheists. Agnostics aleast acknowledge the possibility, all though dont care enough to explore the issue. Atheists want to have solid belief and definate proof that the supernatural doesn't exist. Most cases both people have apathy, they dont care to explore, however its more likely found in the agnostic, rather than the atheist.

Defination of Agnostic

[quote][i]A person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. [/i][/quote]

Defination of Atheist

[quote][i]A person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. [/i][/quote]

Freemasons even though they profess belief in a "Great Architect" try to take from other religions and place their own names on them. Any good faithful servant of God cannot accept this teaching, thus it contradicts many things within the three major western religions. [b]Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.[/b] Anyone who considers themselves part of these religions cannot, in good faith, accept teachings in opposition to their religion, it violates truth. and the direct Revelation of who God has revealed Himself to be.

Edited by White Knight

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='White Knight' timestamp='1307334890' post='2250346']
Yes I remember Mr. John Salva addressing that in his interview about how you have to be a believer in the something, and a atheist cannot join their ranks, true. However their philosophy says that on the surface, but once the ball starts rolling, its hard to stop with all the questions leading to other questions. Its almost logically and inevitable that people would almost lose their "sense of reasoning" grow "indifferent, apathetic, agnostic, or even atheistic" thats what John Salva's witness was among his experience, with other masons, they became so cold to the idea of the existance of a Divine Being, that they became ethier agnostics or losing belief in the supernatural all together, thus atheists.
[/quote]

Could be. I myself don't personally know any masons, but after reading a portion of their a book about freemasonry for freemasons, I was left with a strong humanist impression. I don't know how compatible humanism is with Catholicism for instance, and since beliefs need to be cultivated and encouraged, those who are not immersed somehow might end up loosing their original beliefs and adopting new ones or changing their religious views to something that looks a bit more like deism.

Secular humanism isn't very compatible with Christianity, no, but there are Christian forms of humanism. Pope John Paul II's 'Theology of the Body' is very much focused on the experience of being human, for instance, though also an interpretation of the scriptures and in line with traditional Catholic theology. Both St. Thomas More and British writer G. K. Chesterton could be considered Catholic humanists.

Here's a brief address by Pope Benedict XVI which addresses humanism (tangentially) from a Catholic viewpoint: http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=27579

White Knight

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307335511' post='2250349']
Could be. I myself don't personally know any masons, but after reading a portion of their a book about freemasonry for freemasons, I was left with a strong humanist impression. I don't know how compatible humanism is with Catholicism for instance, and since beliefs need to be cultivated and encouraged, those who are not immersed somehow might end up loosing their original beliefs and adopting new ones or changing their religious views to something that looks a bit more like deism.
[/quote]

Well over the existing time period of the European and American Freemasonry, The Catholic Church for almost 280 years or so, have consistently been opposed to the teachings of Freemasonry, and as a result we've had over 13 popes in that time frame, openly speak out against it, it pretty clear language.

Pope Clement XII 1730-1740
Pope Benedict XIV 1740-1758
Pope Clement XIII 1758-1769
Pope Pius VI 1795-1799
Pope Pius VII 1800-1823
Pope Leo XII 1823-1829
Pope Pius VIII 1829-1830
Pope Gregory XVI 1831-1846
Pope Pius IX 1848-1878
Pope Leo XIII 1878-1903
Pope Pius X 1903-1914
Pope Benedict XV 1914-1922
Pope Pius XI 1922-1939

The 1983 [b]"Quaesitum est"[/b] document approved by Pope Blessed John Paul the Great, re-addresses and re-enforces the opposition to Freemasonry.

[u][i][quote][color="#0000FF"][b]Quaesitum est[/b][/color][/quote][/i][/u]
[i][b][quote]"The faithful who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion...."
"...the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden."[/quote][/b][/i]

As for many reasons I have already posted before hand and many others, the promotion of freemasonry's philosophy on religion opposes not just the Catholic Church's stance on God, in general, but the other religions too. You can't call God , Jesus, Allah, Sheba and Budda, its a direct violation of the teachings of how God Himself has chosen to reveal who He is to mankind.

People may not like it, but not everyone can be right, its mockery of religion and intelligence to try to say they are all the same, and it doesn't matter. I'm sorry but thats just not right [i][u][color="#0000FF"][b]I mean no disrespect by this statement, just pointing out a fact and opinion.[/b][/color][/u][/i]

Thats not how God said it or does it for that matter. He said who He was and is, and is not. This requires people to sometimes let go and accept.

God Bless You.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Tony' timestamp='1306957391' post='2248870']
so I've always knew the Church was very much against freemasonry but I was never sure exactly why. (and I don't think a lot of people are since their organization is so hush-hush) well.. I did some investigating, and found two youtube videos of people flipping through a masonic bible. (They weren't masons themselves, they just happened to have a copy of this "Top secret" bible. ) Well, they basically put a pagan and satanic spin on the Christian bible It was all pretty creepy. In the back it claimed "amen" was the name of some pagan god, so amen meant you were praying to it.Don't quote me on this part but the first 3 degrees, they are asking for "light", "More light" and "further light". the further along you get in the degrees, you find this "light" is Lucifer. it was all pretty spooky, and now know very much why the Holy Catholic Church is against freemasonry.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post he links here (per phatmass rules) but it was rather easy to find on youtube
[/quote]
I've heard about the "amen" thing before, namely because some transliterations of the Egyptian god Amun write it as "Amen". We don't actually know the vowels for the Egyptian language, though, so we just insert vowels that make it pronounceable for us. The actual consonants for it would give a transliteration of Jmn/Ymn.

And I'll stop before getting too off-topic.

[quote name='White Knight' timestamp='1307334890' post='2250346']
[b]To steviltimestamp:[/b] Apathy from what Ive noticed tends to be more evident in people who claim to be agnostics rather than Atheists. Agnostics aleast acknowledge the possibility, all though dont care enough to explore the issue. Atheists want to have solid belief and definate proof that the supernatural doesn't exist. Most cases both people have apathy, they dont care to explore, however its more likely found in the agnostic, rather than the atheist.
[/quote]
The definitions of Atheist and Agnostic that you have quoted are correct but your understanding of them is not.
Agnostic testifies to lack of knowledge of gods, Atheist declares a lack of belief in god. I myself fit both labels, I know of no knowledge of gods (only theories), I do not hold a belief in any god.

You are assuming incorrectly that Atheists and Agnostics are Apathetic, this is not the case. There was a study done ([url="http://pewforum.org/other-beliefs-and-practices/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey.aspx"]U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey[/url]) the group classified as Atheists and Agnostics scored better than all of the theistic groups. This highlights that we are not apathetic and do seek information pertaining to all religions, and as you probably already know we also have a great grasp of scientific information. In my opinion this is an indicator that we are seeking the truth from a broad range of sources.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307356225' post='2250392']
The definitions of Atheist and Agnostic that you have quoted are correct but your understanding of them is not.
Agnostic testifies to lack of knowledge of gods, Atheist declares a lack of belief in god. I myself fit both labels, I know of no knowledge of gods (only theories), I do not hold a belief in any god.[/quote]

Since they're coming from a viewpoint in which god is obvious to them, I don't know how that may affect their understanding of what agnostic athiests mean when they call themselves agnostic athiests.

I think that for the sake of clarity, it's good to give examples of this, such as "I [i]don't believe[/i] in unicorns, but I [i]don't know [/i]if they exist".

White Knight, substitute "unicorns" for "gods", and that's basically the agnostic atheist thinking in regards to gods, and it's subtly different from saying "I believe that no unicorns exist".

Edited by xSilverPhinx

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry#Current_position_of_the_Catholic_Church"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry#Current_position_of_the_Catholic_Church[/url]

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1306802955' post='2247872']
Why does The Church condemn the Free Masons and Free Masonry? Or is this just a misconception, and the Free Masons and The Church are "buddie buddie"?

Ive been thinking about The Masons and was just a little curious.

Edit: punctuation
[/quote]

If you want an explanation from a very devout Catholic who was also involved in masonic activity at one time then read John Salza's Why Catholics Cannot be Masons: http://www.amazon.com/Why-Catholics-Cannot-Be-Masons/dp/0895558815/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307619369&sr=1-1
They basically practice a type of Deism and compel you to take part in certain rituals a believing Catholic can have nothing to do with because in those rituals it is stated that you are receiving "enlightenment for the first time" and that everything outside of the lodge is "profane". That of course would include the Catholic church. Essentially, you end up embracing what is a false religion.

S.

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1306804844' post='2247907']
But I just dont get why they are so bad.[/quote]

Brother, I suggest you read some history. The Free Masons have always sought the destruction of the Church. Masonic doctrine is fundementally opposed to the teaching of Christ.

[quote]Hmmm. I know a couple of "higher-up" Masons, and they are devout Catholics. [/quote]

Joining Masonry is so serious that the Church excomunicates those who join them.

[quote]I dont mean to sound like I am against Canon Law, I just wish to understand why it says what it says. My brother is becoming a Free Mason, and I dont have [i]any[/i] defence against his reasons in a debate, and I need a little backup. I relise I probably should have stated that earlier.
[/quote]

Set aside any emotional attachments to the fact that your brother is becoming a mason.

[quote name='mortify' timestamp='1308148523' post='2253989']
Brother, I suggest you read some history. The Free Masons have always sought the destruction of the Church. Masonic doctrine is fundementally opposed to the teaching of Christ.

Joining Masonry is so serious that the Church excomunicates those who join them.

Set aside any emotional attachments to the fact that your brother is becoming a mason.
[/quote]

You don't know that!!!!!!

That is not a very ecumenical thing to say....

Excommunications are outdated, we accept anyone as long as they believe...

I think he should love his brother even more because he's becoming a mason. His brother will need that love and support.

Pish posh...masons....we don't need to worry about them....we have bigger fish to fry...

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1308340916' post='2255221']
Apparently I'm getting a "blah blah Masonic Scholarship" from school..... lulz.
[/quote]

How ecumenical of you....oh, in case you hadn't heard...I love you.