This made me laugh lol.
[/quote]:like:

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1306880571' post='2248384']
This made me laugh lol.
[/quote]
:shocking:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306877958' post='2248361']
You keep separating the homily from the Liturgy of the Word. I already explained to you that the homily is part of the Liturgy of the Word.

Are you advocating that the English reading be required in addition to the Latin? If so, you're adding to the rubrics. If not, then the English remains "optional" and has no basis in this discussion.
[/quote]
While having a homily is a part of the rubrics (and not an essential part, mind you. Highly recommended, and on Sundays required), the sermon itself is not governed by rubrics besides the specific section of the GIRM which says "It should be an exposition of some aspect of the readings from Sacred Scripture or of another text from the Ordinary or from the Proper of the Mass of the day and should take into account both the mystery being celebrated and the particular needs of the listeners.", and the section which lays down who may give a homily. To re-read the Gospel in English is not in any sense adding to the rubrics.
However it is obvious that re-reading them in English is optional. It is at the priest's discretion. There is no necessity, from the perspective of the Holy Sacrifice, to read the Gospel in English, though as I have said about six times now, since the homily is intended for the faithful, it is quite appropriate for it to be present there. I never once said it should be required. Are you getting old and perhaps need reading glasses?

Nihil Obstat

Again spoken by m'learned colleague:

A distinction needs to be made that the idea of the homily being part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist is a NO idea; for the Traditional Latin Mass, the homily is a separate incident which is outside the Mass altogether. This still applies today, when speaking about the homily. That is the reason that in some places you will see the pastor remove his maniple. In some places, the priest will remove the chasuble as a sign that it is outside the Mass itself. That is incumbent upon local tradition.

The shifting of the ideology of the Liturgy of the Word, the homily was formally included, but many places still consider it to be separate and as such you will see priests/deacons separate it with a sign of the Cross at the beginning and the end of the homily. That is to distinguish it from the Mass itself. Remember, there is no direct mandate for a homily except on Holy Days and Sundays.

Another reason I wish the maniple would return to common Roman vestments. :sad2:
:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306881811' post='2248388']
There is no necessity, from the perspective of the Holy Sacrifice, to read the Gospel in English, though as I have said about six times now, since the homily is intended for the faithful, it is quite appropriate for it to be present there. I never once said it should be required. Are you getting old and perhaps need reading glasses?
[/quote]
Perhaps. I'm just trying to understand your point. Let's take everything "optional" off the table, because we both know that "optional" things are rarely implemented (especially during football season).

You are saying that you would prefer that the Gospel be chanted in Latin, instead of English. I'm saying I would prefer it be chanted in English, so I can understand it. We differ.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306882066' post='2248389']
Again spoken by m'learned colleague:

A distinction needs to be made that the idea of the homily being part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist is a NO idea; for the Traditional Latin Mass, the homily is a separate incident which is outside the Mass altogether. [/quote]
Maybe yer'learned colleague should reply him/herself. Nobody said the homily was part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The homily is part of the Liturgy of the Word.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306882581' post='2248390']
Perhaps. I'm just trying to understand your point. Let's take everything "optional" off the table, because we both know that "optional" things are rarely implemented (especially during football season).

You are saying that you would prefer that the Gospel be chanted in Latin, instead of English. I'm saying I would prefer it be chanted in English, so I can understand it. We differ.
[/quote]
Why should we take everything optional off the table? That means that the homily would be omitted every weekday, even though it's strongly recommended. That means that there's no music at all, including chant.
If we forget about the optional we're no longer giving our best to God. The fact that the optional is often or usually omitted only means that the priorities of the congregation are in serious need of adjustment. The Mass isn't about preference; it's about giving the best we have, passed down by the Holy Mother Church for two thousand years, and constantly being reaffirmed in its grandeur and richness through organic development and Tradition, to God in the ultimate act of worship.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306882802' post='2248391']
Maybe yer'learned colleague should reply him/herself. Nobody said the homily was part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The homily is part of the Liturgy of the Word.
[/quote]
As he said, it occurs outside of the Mass altogether, though there is space left for it in the Missal and rules governing its implementation.
He will not be replying.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1306883669' post='2248393']
what's this all about? what's the debate?
[/quote]

Why are you even trying? haha

OK then. New rule. No replying for people who don't reply.

I get enough of this all day with, "daddy, mommy said to tell you to pick up some milk... what kind? hold on... MOMMY, DADDY WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU WANT SKIM OR 2%... Mommy said she doesn't care.... wait... WHAT MOMMY?... she said 2%."

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1306883669' post='2248393']
what's this all about? what's the debate?
[/quote]
I don't know. It seems like with certain people, every time I agree with them, they freak out and can't believe it's happening, so they backtrack and try to figure out what went so terribly wrong, and then they come to the conclusion that what I'm saying must not really be what I'm saying, so they start arguing about a point they think I thought I meant, and then it confuses me into countering that point even though I don't actually agree with it myself. It's quite fascinating actually. Go Mavs!!!