An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict On Music And The Liturgy

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1306876973' post='2248345']
Nope. I'm stating along with the Church that in order to stir the hearts of the faithful and convey the importance of the Gospel itself... the entire Gospel may be sung. It seems your opposition to the Gospel being sung is based on your personal preference. I do respect you.
[/quote]
I thought you were advocating it be sung in Latin. Please clarify. I have no problem with and would actually [b]love[/b] it if the Gospel was sung or chanted in the vernacular (unless it is poor singing). My issue is with it being sung or chanted in Latin, because I think it's better if the congregation understands the reading.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306877589' post='2248354']
I thought you were advocating it be sung in Latin. Please clarify. I have no problem with and would actually [b]love[/b] it if the Gospel was sung or chanted in the vernacular (unless it is poor singing). My issue is with it being sung or chanted in Latin, because I think it's better if the congregation understands the reading.
[/quote]
Both are acceptable. I consider chanting in Latin preferable for the same arguments we make for Latin in the Mass.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306876866' post='2248343']
I didn't say a priest is not allowed to read back the Gospel as part of his homily. It is not required though. If you are advocating the Gospel be chanted in Latin, and keeping the English reading of the Gospel as an "option for the priest", then what you are really only guaranteeing is that the Gospel will be delivered in Latin. So, in all practicality, you are advocating that the congregation understanding the Gospel reading is not all that important.
[/quote]

Does the Church by law require that the gospel reading [b][u]must be[/u][/b] read in vernacular? As I understand she gives the option and permission but does she state that it MUST BE read in vernacular?

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306877429' post='2248352']
Are you implying that you know better how the Mass should work than the Church does, as expressed in the organic development of the older form of the Roman Mass?
I'm sure you're not, of course, but we must be clear.
[/quote]
Youspeakenglishbro?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306877589' post='2248354']
[/quote]

I advocate both the readings being proclaimed by song and by reading. I don't have a problem with the readings being proclaimed in Latin and/or in the vernacular, because the Church doesn't have a problem with it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306877749' post='2248358']
Youspeakenglishbro?
[/quote]
You said:

It would make more sense to simply have the Gospel reading consist of chanting it in Latin and then reading it in English immediately following. THEN say, "the Gospel of the Lord." And then the homily.

The T.L.M. Mass does not do this. Are you then implying that the Traditional Latin Mass doesn't make as much sense, and that it would make more sense if you fixed it?

[quote]There is nothing wrong or improper about chanting the readings in Latin first, then re-reading in the vernacular during the homily. The Liturgy of the Word is directed towards the formal worship of God, therefore chant is quite proper. The homily is directed towards the benefit of the congregation, and therefore it is eminently proper that the readings are explained to them. If the readings previously were chanted in Latin, it only makes sense to recite them in English first, so that everyone is 'on the same page'.[/quote]
You keep separating the homily from the Liturgy of the Word. I already explained to you that the homily is part of the Liturgy of the Word.

Are you advocating that the English reading be required in addition to the Latin? If so, you're adding to the rubrics. If not, then the English remains "optional" and has no basis in this discussion.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1306877847' post='2248360']
You said:

It would make more sense to simply have the Gospel reading consist of chanting it in Latin and then reading it in English immediately following. THEN say, "the Gospel of the Lord." And then the homily.

The T.L.M. Mass does not do this. Are you then implying that the Traditional Latin Mass doesn't make as much sense, and that it would make more sense if you fixed it?
[/quote]
Still confused.

ThePenciledOne

I smell so much idealism running through this thread, its made me sick to my stomach.....:blink:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1306878335' post='2248363']
I smell so much idealism running through this thread, its made me sick to my stomach.....:blink:
[/quote]
idealism. yuck! ... dude. get a plate...

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1306878335' post='2248363']
[/quote]
I wish cards were called isms. As in, "a deck of isms". That way, when I deal, I could say, I deal isms. Get it? I deal isms? Idealisms? GET IT!?!? HAHAHAHA!!!

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1306876023' post='2248332']
Why be so against it? What does it really matter if it is proclaimed twice? Is is so awful to hear the word of the Lord more than once at Mass?

A good answer is that people forget, their minds wonder, they may have missed it the first time because of a child or any other reason. And that the Homily is suppose to be based upon the readings, and reading them again would perhaps help the Priest to stay on track. Often I've heard homilies that have little or nothing to do with the readings. At least reading them again during the homily would remind everyone what the homily is about.

But again what's the big deal? Time really isn't an issue, the defects of our brothers is not something we should be focusing on anyway. Don't see the big deal this may be just a case of the internet making a big deal out of nothing.
[/quote]

Besides which, we are already encouraged to read and pray through the Sunday readings (that includes the Gospel) before Sunday Mass. The Scriptures are extremely important to our faith and I don't see the problem with emphasizing that during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1306879712' post='2248375']
Besides which, we are already encouraged to read and pray through the Sunday readings (that includes the Gospel) before Sunday Mass. The Scriptures are extremely important to our faith and I don't see the problem with emphasizing that during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
[/quote]
I would never trust a person who is so serious all the time.

HisChildForever

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306879785' post='2248376']
I would never trust a person who is so serious all the time.
[/quote]

"All the time"? What, do you live next door to me and watch my comings and goings.