An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life

Sister Marie

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1306715606' post='2247556']
She is trying but of course, she does more for my vocation and religious resolve than the most charitable sister with whom I live... the challenge is one to call me to virtue... but it is also a lesson of the difference in appearance and heart. Jesus had to do this all the time with the Pharisees who cleaned the outside of their cups but left the inside full of filth - metaphorically obviously. I pray for her and love her, but, yes, she is trying. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/amen.gif[/img]

[/quote]

I just graduated from college and thought I should add here my experience of having the same roommate for three years. Now, I care enough about my relationship with God to be drawn to go to daily Mass, make a daily Eucharistic holy hour and am attracted to celibacy because I am in love with Jesus. I generally wouldn't consider myself a horrible person. But I think mid-year through my first year of living with this roommate I began to develop an irritation toward her and it seemed to intensify. Now, she was objectively not a bad roommate so I was wondering this year what was wrong with me and why it seemed like I couldn't help but seriously dislike her and have an uncharitable attitude toward her and generally just be quite irritated. A little while ago I was doing some research online because I was starting to think that perhaps I have a mental illness or something that I am unaware of and in my search I would find that introverts (which I am) are territorial and have a need for their own space. This seemed to strike a cord, I feel that sharing a room was so hard for me because it felt like I had a "need" for my own room which was not being met. After graduating and being away from my roommate for a few weeks it seems that being removed from the situation of having to live with her my strong aversion toward her/ my negative feelings are gone. I have apologized for being distant and cold and it seems I am able to see her more clearly for the gracious, sweet girl that she is. But when I was living with her it seemed impossible for me to see her like this. And I was praying to be a decent person but it didn't seem to work. Now, I don't think that my being mean (at least in attitude) toward her is completely excusable, but I do think that my introversion had A LOT to do with it.

Now, I wonder if perhaps if this sister and and other mean sisters like her are perhaps introverted and not having their need for their own space met? Back to myself, my only other experience of sharing a room with people for more than say, a week, was at a summer camp job. There I didn't experience any irritation. But then again that was only a couple months and I know with my roommate it took more than a couple of months for any issues with my emotions to develop. I don't have enough other experiences of living in community to compare against yet but I have a feeling that in a long-term situation if I were to live in community having my own bedroom would be an absolute must for me lest I turn into I totally irate, messed up person. Now, I don't feel that God is calling me to religious life (not for this reason- I feel positively way more attracted to the charism of consecrated virginity) but I think that in my life I may be called to live in community at least for periods of time. Hypothetically if I were called to be a sister, it would be an absolute must for me to have my own room. I think I read somewhere that not all sisters have their own room (the Missionaries of Charity I read). I think if I were in that situation it would equal a very cranky and mean, uncharitable Shana! Just throwing that out there. You never know how hard an uncharitable person you are living with could be praying to God that He would relieve her of her irritation toward the people she lives with.

Edited by Shana

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1306701252' post='2247469']
I've never started a new topic about something, haha, but I've read some things - here and other places - recently that I've really been praying about.

It's a really exciting but difficult time in the Church to be discerning a vocation to the religious life. Unless you discern to enter one of the three or four communities that have classes of 10 or 20 postulants each year, you are going to be forced to live with complete uncertainty as to the future of your community and your religious life. I wish God called me to one of them - it would have been much easier for me. The consequences of this uncertainty are totally unpredictable and unknown to anyone but God. The bottom line is the community you enter will change while you are a member - no matter what. You may not be in charge of the decisions that are made and you may have to just do what you are told - even if it is incorrect (obviously you don't obey immoral things but practices that have no moral value are a different story).

I know - I'm trying to get to the point... the point is that the externals that are certainly important are not the heart of what makes a community. To be judged on externals that can/will change and transform with no moral value is an injustice at the least. The importance of a community, at it's heart, is it's charism, apostolate, and spirituality. There is no other community that I have found that has the same charism, spirit, and apostolate as my community does and it is written forever on my heart. So - if their veils are not long enough, habits not penitential enough, prayers not beautiful enough - it is still where I belong. Each community is like a piece of the puzzle of the mystery of Christ and the Church. Each charism and spirituality is essential to understanding the mystery of Christ in the world. So what if a community is not "faithful" right now? How can their gift be preserved if not through new vocations? Does cutting them down help, or, should we be praying that they are able to return to the true spirit of their particular institute so that we can all benefit through their gift? If it is the latter, we must pray and show support. How can we so easily dismiss them? I say this because I do the same thing sometimes. I am not without fault in dismissing people and communities that I don't believe "have it right." The truth is that NO community has it right. It's impossible. Some of our faults are more obvious than others though.

In my own life, there is a community nearby who is very liberal and I really can't stand them most of the time. At the same time, there is a community who wears a full habit who I studied with... not a single sister talked to me the entire time I took a class with them. I heard them talking about my habit and criticizing my community openly. What they didn't know was that it was the best my community was able to afford for the number of sisters we have to clothe. We were living poverty and simplicity. I was uncharitable to the first group of sisters and sisters were uncharitable to me. We forgive and move on.

What I'm trying to say is that we have to be patient and open with ourselves and others - not tolerating things that are wrong, but accepting that we are all sinners. We all miss the mark in one way or another. That is part of the cross of religious life. If you haven't been in religious life, it is easy sometimes to make judgments and be vocal about what is "right" and "wrong." However, all congregations of religious life have the SAME acceptance of their Rules from the Vatican. That means that the community in full habit and monastic schedule and the habitless, independent living community have the same acceptance by the Church. No one has to agree with either of them - but to condemn or judge them puts one persons opinion above the decree of Church. Put yourself in the position of the sisters in those communities who are faithfully trying to save their communities because that spirit and charism is written on their hearts forever as well. What would you do? It isn't as cut and dry as it seems.

It isn't wrong to question practices... It isn't wrong to say, "I wouldn't wear that if you paid me." It is wrong to judge the hearts and beliefs of women who have given up everything to follow Christ by the way their community dresses or prays. I have never been offended by someone saying to me, "Why did your community modify your habit?" Please ask! haha. I have, however, been deeply hurt by hearing, "Oh, they have a modified habit, they aren't real sisters." This is an appeal for charity and for honest discussion. It's great... I'm just trying to introduce another way of looking at religious life and communities that might have more spiritual value.

I hope no one takes this as a singling out - it isn't. I have been thinking like this for years and I've seen things recently that have led me in my personal and online life to feel like I needed to say something. So anyway, I am continually amazed and graced by your reflections on here and your dedication to following Christ. I ask you to pray for my perseverance as I continue to pray for your vocations. God bless!

Sister Marie
[/quote]

Dear Sister Marie:

Thank you for this beautiful post. It took me a long time as a young sister to look beyond the externals. By nature i tend towards what is more traditional and yet overtime i had to re-examine my attitudes in light of the Gospel message and That message is Love. Love can cross every boundry that separates people from God and each other. When my end comes and i stand before God, I do not think he will be concerned about what habit i wore, or what particular customs i observed....What he will ask, is if i have loved.

Yes when i wear my habit , it is still a traditional Carmelite habit, sans Toque. But that is not the issue here. St. Paul to the Colossians 3:12-14, Tells us clearly what our habits both interior and exterior should be. IF we follow his injunction then we will have no fear in standing before God. In living this injunction we will no longer focus on our differences, but on our commonality as Christians and religious men and women. We will then truly be able to embrace each other knowing that we each radiate different facets of the same diamond which is Christs body,the Church and as one united body we will then give glory to the Father.

Love brings unity. Love cover a multitude of sins with heartfelt mercy. Love reflects The unity of the Trinity. and in Love is our salvation....

If i learn this simple lesson, then when God comes for me, i will have no fear, but will be content to offer Him my nothingness with the knowledge that no matter how poorly i have succeeded, i have tried to love as He did. And then i shall know Mercy.....

just my two cents...

faithcecelia

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1306775012' post='2247680']
. When my end comes and i stand before God, I do not think he will be concerned about what habit i wore, or what particular customs i observed....What he will ask, is if i have loved.

[/quote]

Think this bears repeating, thank you.

Santa Cruz

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1306710247' post='2247530']
I agree there is right and wrong but there is also a temptation to put right and wrong on one's own opinions and that is where things get a little sticky.[/quote]

I hear ya Sister! It can get confusing when people push their personal opinion as the only correct way and also when the Magisterium asks that we make a change and persons either refuse to budge moaning and groaning or they go to the opposite extreme throwing out the baby with the bath water. It seems it is an issue of pride and a lack of docility to the Magisterium and ultimately to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

[quote]My community wears a habit. It is in our rule. The style of our habit is described in our Rule which has been approved by the Church. Is it the most beautiful habit I have ever seen? On one hand, no. On the other hand, it is my habit so it is the most beautiful to me. Either way, it is a "correct" habit - the Church has said so! [/quote]

I think it is apparent that the Church 'approves' the habits and veils which are shorter if we look at Mother M. Clare from the Apostles of the Sacred Heart, who wears a 'modified' habit and was appointed by the Holy Father to organize the Apostolic Visitation and to write a report on the findings. A friend of mine who is with the Apostles shared with me that when she goes to meetings with religious in a traditional habit, they ignore her and do not welcome her among themselves. Likewise, when she goes to meetings with Sisters who do not wear a habit, she is also not accepted. Uh, are we not Christians? How childish! Sad.

[quote]The other thing I would bring up is the spirit behind the externals. I live with a sister who is very traditional but is completely uncharitable to everyone around her - actually she is downright mean. I live with another sister who is totally untraditional but is kind, patient, and full of love for her sisters and God's people. So... looks can be deceiving! The heart is important too! [/quote]

I hear ya on this too! The Desert Fathers speak on this, that the monk who is not following the rules but acting with charity is more correct than the monk who obeys the rules and lacks in charity. Our Lord Himself tells us, that He desires mercy and not sacrifice. I have spent time in religious life, the monastic life and this was my greatest struggle, not internalizing the meanness and lack of charity exhibited by some of the Sisters. I would allow it to affect me and would carry it with me for too long. My Confessor at the time told me with laughter that the monastery he was in prior to coming to his present Community received a report after their Visitation by the Superior General that "there was no evidence of charity in the Community." The monastery was closed and the monks sent to various houses within the Order. I hope someday that I can get to the place of my former Confessor, to be able to laugh at the ridiculous meanness that can poison relationships, families and communities. Because, that is what it is, petty and laughter is a sign that you give it no power over you. And he is a fun loving, gentle, wise yet firm monk that one would never suspect the horrific life he endured at his first monastery.

[quote]You are absolutely right that externals do matter! I have heard many people who feel like it is only the "full habit" and nothing less. However, it was the Church who asked religious to update their habits. It is unbelievable sometimes when I hear people get down on the modified habit nuns when the Church was the one who asked us to modify in the Decree on the Renewal of Religious Life. They called us to adopt a habit that was "poor, simple, and becoming." I wouldn't, but I could, make the case that those who wear the traditional habit are the disobedient ones - because they did not update as the Church asked us to. Obviously, I do not feel that way! I feel that each congregation is called to what they are called to and that the full habit is beautiful and has its place as does the modified habit. I only say this as a way to contextualize this conversation on habits. Again - I do not feel that way! :) [/quote]

You raise a very good point. On the other hand, the Church asked to modify, not do away with? As far as Communities that have chosen to wear secular clothes, I cannot judge as I am not a member of the Community, am not in a position of authority in the Church, and neither do I wear a habit myself. I can only speak of what I desire personally as a result of my own discernment in hearing where God is calling me to serve Him in the Church.

[quote]Thank you for so graciously asking why my community modified our habit! We are apostolic sisters who serve God's people in education. As you can imagine, most Catholic schools do not have air conditioning. This is not the main reason, however, as temperatures hit the 90's in Philadelphia this week, I can't help but think of that first! haha. I don't know how our sisters used to wear surge during the summer with all the starch while still teaching children. Education is a full-time ministry and the full habit was not practical. There were sisters with open sores on their foreheads from the bonnet, passing out from the heat, getting infections from the thick stockings worn 12 hours a day. After the habit was modified it became very difficult to procure the habits. My community is quite large and there is no practical way for any sister(s) to be in charge of making habits. We ordered habits from a place that closed two years ago and now we are stuck trying to find somewhere to make our habits. Everytime we find a place - they go out of business after the first set of habits come out! We all look different but it isn't on purpose - it is because of poverty and simplicity. We still wear blue but the fabric and style are different due to the availability of the habits. However, what is still the same is that we all say the same prayers as we dress in the morning, we all wear a garment blessed by a priest, and we all wear the same crucifix and ring indicating our consecration to Christ and the Church. The inside of our ring reads, "Ego te Sponsabo" - "to you I am espoused." When a sister dies, after her viewing, her ring and crucifix are taken off and put away for the use of a future sister. It is a custom that is very meaningful to me as I know that I am wearing the ring and crucifix of a sister who built the community I now inherit. Our habit is poor - it does not cost a great deal and is easy to keep up. It is simple - one or two pieces - that do not require starching, dry cleaning, or any other special treatment. And it is becoming - we look like women religious - a modest and attractive (in a nunly way) habit that shows our consecration but allows us to do our work. It is a practical habit and it allows me to do the work of my institute while still witnessing to religious life in a radical way.

Hopefully, a few inches of material does not negate my entire vocation. However, I must say, I have felt that way after reading some comments here and elsewhere. Anyway, thank you for replying and asking! I hope some of this makes sense. God bless you!
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing about your habit and it's history. You know, when I am caught up in talking with someone, in caring for them, being present to them, I do not notice what they are wearing. Yes, I admire attire as I appreciate style and beauty but not in the sense of judging as "appropriate". Often I hear persons complaining about others who wear revealing clothing to Church...Yes, I do believe that we should respect our own bodies and also be mindful of others when we choose our attire. I also believe in educating people on the "Theology of the Body". But, to go to Church and judge other people for wearing this or that is judging one's neighbor. Are we there to worship God or to cast mean glances and hold hatred in our hearts because a female is wearing a revealing shirt? The Vatican handles this well by having signs OUTSIDE and guards posted OUTSIDE to inform persons about the appropriate attire. They do not go running around inside the Vatican telling people their skirt or blouse is too revealing. It is dealt with in the proper place, outside. Now as a Religious education teacher or a parent...when you have a personal relationship with a child and a responsibility for rearing the child, then it is necessary to address clothing the body or in RCIA or on-going formation, or as a loving friend or mentor. As an outsider, a stranger or without a personal relationship or a responsibility for someone's well-being, it is not our place to run around judging what another person is wearing.

I am sorry Sister Marie that you have to experience such mean and petty behavior from persons within your own Church. It is sad that we do this to ourselves, to our own brothers and sisters in Christ.

Thank you again for all that you have shared with us! I hope cooler weather comes to PA soon!

Edited by Santa Cruz

This topic reminds me of a nice story from the Nashville Dominicans (btw even they modified their habits post vatican 2). There is a professed sister in Nashville that just joined from another community about a year ago. This particular sister had been professed for years (guessing over 15 or 20)with a more liberal order. She got to wear the habit for 14 days as a novice before her community abandoned habits all together. But this sister loved her community and religious life and eventually came to be on the CARA team. She was completely content where she was in her life, but when she visited Nashville as part of the CARA study she knew she had to join there.

She is back on the CARA team as a ND and my daughter (a novice) was telling me what a blessing this sister has been to her because of her wisdom and her testimony. This sister has shared with my daughter about how many beautiful and authentic vocations there are among the so called liberal orders, as witnessed during her years in religious life and through her work on the study. She says in most cases the women responsible for the poor decisions in orders have since left.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1306887465' post='2248427']
This topic reminds me of a nice story from the Nashville Dominicans (btw even they modified their habits post vatican 2). There is a professed sister in Nashville that just joined from another community about a year ago. This particular sister had been professed for years (guessing over 15 or 20)with a more liberal order. She got to wear the habit for 14 days as a novice before her community abandoned habits all together. But this sister loved her community and religious life and eventually came to be on the CARA team. She was completely content where she was in her life, but when she visited Nashville as part of the CARA study she knew she had to join there.

She is back on the CARA team as a ND and my daughter (a novice) was telling me what a blessing this sister has been to her because of her wisdom and her testimony. This sister has shared with my daughter about how many beautiful and authentic vocations there are among the so called liberal orders, as witnessed during her years in religious life and through her work on the study. She says in most cases the women responsible for the poor decisions in orders have since left.
[/quote]

It's wonderful that these kind of things exist for Sisters--transferring from other communities. It has to be difficult, for sure, since you thought that you were entering your original community for life. But with the way things are changing--sometimes not for the better--some Sisters are looking at this as a viable option. When I visited the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI, there was a cloistered Carmelite nun there who was planning to transfer from her community to the Carmelite DCJ Sisters, but I don't think she went through with it because I don't see her in any of the recent pictures. She was very nice, though, and I remember that she gave me a prayer for priests which I have to this day.

I also read recently that a Sister from Nigeria transferred to the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. I thought that was really neat. :)

http://www.fsecommunity.org/news/11-03-27_scollette.html

Sister Marie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1306888148' post='2248432']
It's wonderful that these kind of things exist for Sisters--transferring from other communities. It has to be difficult, for sure, since you thought that you were entering your original community for life. But with the way things are changing--sometimes not for the better--some Sisters are looking at this as a viable option. When I visited the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI, there was a cloistered Carmelite nun there who was planning to transfer from her community to the Carmelite DCJ Sisters, but I don't think she went through with it because I don't see her in any of the recent pictures. She was very nice, though, and I remember that she gave me a prayer for priests which I have to this day.

I also read recently that a Sister from Nigeria transferred to the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. I thought that was really neat. :)

[url="http://www.fsecommunity.org/news/11-03-27_scollette.html"]http://www.fsecommun..._scollette.html[/url]
[/quote]

It is great that sisters have the ability to transfer communities if their hearts and God's will lead them elsewhere but I would clarify one point - not necessarily the point you were making. I think if it is the fruit of discernment and of God's will then yes, a transfer is something difficult but wonderful. At the same time the idea that it could be a solution to "the way things are changing" is one that I disagree with. We unfortunately have a real crisis in religious life and I don't see transfers as the answer... for some it may be what they need for their salvation - but not the answer to the crisis in religious life. I obviously don't judge what anyone's conscience calls them to do but it leaves me uncomfortable thinking of transfer as a way to possibly "fix" some of the problems communities are having.

The reason I feel this way is because I think God has called each community's charism, spirituality, and apostolate in a unique way to offer the Church a great gift. Some communities are failing to give that gift completely and in the way God and the Church have called them to - but I hope God won't deny us that gift because of it. I pray He calls women, puts into their hearts a deep charism to those communities so that they can be sanctified in the same way that Christ died for our sanctification. Religious life should be a uniting of our hearts with Jesus' on the Cross. They may never see the fruits of their sacrifice and maybe we won't either until eternity when I am positive that we will be shocked by how their sacrifice was used in God's plan for salvation.

I believe right now, if you can think of a community who you see as "unfaithful" or "unorthodox" or "liberal," there are some sisters there, who, because Christ has called them to, choose to stay and suffer for the sanctification of their communities rather than leave because they cannot be untrue to the heart which God Himself gave them. I believe that we may look right at them and automatically discount them because by their virtuous obedience they have followed their superiors directives and have martyred their own wills in order to live a radical religious life in the midst of modernization and change. I do believe that the future of those communities, the survival of their charisms is dependent upon and will be built upon those women who the world does not know exist - who the community doesn't know exists. It is all in the hands of God and I do not believe He has abandoned the communities who seemingly have abandoned Him.

I can't imagine being a dominican, or a franciscan, or a benedictine - because my heart has not been called to that - it isn't written in there. So if my community makes some bad decisions - I don't know what I'll do but I pray that God will give me the grace to offer myself in that situation to Him for the sake of my community. A transfer would seem to me not to be an option because it would be about what I want and not what God has already given me.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies. I learn so much from you! Know I continue always to pray for you!

Sister Marie

EDITED TO ADD - I don't think I was clear that I'm not saying if someone transfers from a more "modern" community to a more "traditional" one that there is anything wrong with that. It could be very clearly that it is where God wants her to be and that is something to rejoice in as was stated earlier by jruss.

Edited by Sister Marie

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1307056924' post='2249319']
I believe right now, if you can think of a community who you see as "unfaithful" or "unorthodox" or "liberal," there are some sisters there, who, because Christ has called them to, choose to stay and suffer for the sanctification of their communities rather than leave because they cannot be untrue to the heart which God Himself gave them. I believe that we may look right at them and automatically discount them because by their virtuous obedience they have followed their superiors directives and have martyred their own wills in order to live a radical religious life in the midst of modernization and change. I do believe that the future of those communities, the survival of their charisms is dependent upon and will be built upon those women who the world does not know exist - who the community doesn't know exists. It is all in the hands of God and I do not believe He has abandoned the communities who seemingly have abandoned Him.
[/quote]

Wow Sister Marie -- there is a lot of wisdom in this. And I think this thread in and of itself makes us ponder about how quick we are to judge. It also gives me material to think about my own discernment and about the communities I may have not considered along the way because of their "liberalism".

Maybe what I (and maybe all of us who are still discerning) need to look at is how the sisters live out their lives. Granted -- the charism has to resonate within me. But maybe (just maybe) I've been too quick to not consider a community simply because of externals?

Just thinking out loud :).

MissScripture

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1306887465' post='2248427']
This topic reminds me of a nice story from the Nashville Dominicans ([b]btw even they modified their habits post vatican 2[/b]). There is a professed sister in Nashville that just joined from another community about a year ago. This particular sister had been professed for years (guessing over 15 or 20)with a more liberal order. She got to wear the habit for 14 days as a novice before her community abandoned habits all together. But this sister loved her community and religious life and eventually came to be on the CARA team. She was completely content where she was in her life, but when she visited Nashville as part of the CARA study she knew she had to join there.

[/quote]
I thought of that, too, as I was reading this thread! I was somewhat surprised when my sister first told me, and then she took me to the heritage room and showed me what their old habits looked like, and it totally made sense from a practicality standpoint. They couldn't have driven in their old habits! Sometimes things do need to be "updated" because it is no longer practical to use the old way, though it served it's own purpose. I bet all the postulants are pleased that they have the outfits they do now, too, because the old postulant outfits were hilarious! (And very hot looking for the TN summers!)

faithcecelia

After mentioning it on the books thread, I am rereading 'Nun but the Brave' by Jean M Warner - its a 'fictional reflection on religious life from the 1950s to the 1980s and the impact of some of the decisions of Vatican 2'. I would recommend it to anyone, its beautifully written, with stories and prayers interwoven into the story of a fictional sister. It looks at traditions, customs, changes to the way of life and dress, changes to the Mass, etc etc and in the context of a story tells how some of the decisions were come to. Its the first time I have read it since leaving my former community and I am finding it very moving. Many of the things discussed in this thread come up in the book. Its on UK Amazon from 1p!

Sister Andrew

This thread is beautiful! Thank you for sharing Sr. Marie!
United in prayer!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1307056924' post='2249319']
It is great that sisters have the ability to transfer communities if their hearts and God's will lead them elsewhere but I would clarify one point - not necessarily the point you were making. I think if it is the fruit of discernment and of God's will then yes, a transfer is something difficult but wonderful. At the same time the idea that it could be a solution to "the way things are changing" is one that I disagree with. We unfortunately have a real crisis in religious life and I don't see transfers as the answer... for some it may be what they need for their salvation - but not the answer to the crisis in religious life. I obviously don't judge what anyone's conscience calls them to do but it leaves me uncomfortable thinking of transfer as a way to possibly "fix" some of the problems communities are having.

The reason I feel this way is because I think God has called each community's charism, spirituality, and apostolate in a unique way to offer the Church a great gift. Some communities are failing to give that gift completely and in the way God and the Church have called them to - but I hope God won't deny us that gift because of it. I pray He calls women, puts into their hearts a deep charism to those communities so that they can be sanctified in the same way that Christ died for our sanctification. Religious life should be a uniting of our hearts with Jesus' on the Cross. They may never see the fruits of their sacrifice and maybe we won't either until eternity when I am positive that we will be shocked by how their sacrifice was used in God's plan for salvation.

I can't imagine being a dominican, or a franciscan, or a benedictine - because my heart has not been called to that - it isn't written in there. So if my community makes some bad decisions - I don't know what I'll do but I pray that God will give me the grace to offer myself in that situation to Him for the sake of my community. A transfer would seem to me not to be an option because it would be about what I want and not what God has already given me.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies. I learn so much from you! Know I continue always to pray for you!

Sister Marie

EDITED TO ADD - I don't think I was clear that I'm not saying if someone transfers from a more "modern" community to a more "traditional" one that there is anything wrong with that. It could be very clearly that it is where God wants her to be and that is something to rejoice in as was stated earlier by jruss.

[/quote]

Thank you Sister Marie, this is beautiful.

• 2 months later...
sistersintigo

This is a great thread and I am posting briefly just to say how happy I am to see Sr Mary Catharine posting on the Phorum again. I for one have missed her terribly during her absence. Whoever it was who encouraged her to join us again, thank you. End of digression.