An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spin-Off Of The The Altar Girls In Choir Dress Thread....

Cam42

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=113036"]spun from here[/url]

So the question can become....

Is there a particular reason in any given parish for having girls serve and what would that particular reason be?

[quote]If in some diocese, on the basis of Canon 230 #2, the Bishop permits that, for particular reasons, women may also serve at the altar, this decision must be clearly explained to the faithful, in the light of the above-mentioned norm.[/quote]
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdwcomm.htm"]source[/url]

AudreyGrace

1) If there is a severe lack of servers, and girls are more willing/present/available.
2) If servers are irresponsible and do not show up, and the only available person who knows how to do the job is a girl.
3) Because it's not illegal when explained, as you said.

I know what you're going to say. You might say something along the lines of "this should never happen," "there's no such thing as a lack of servers," "the parish should get young men interested in serving" etc etc. But sadly, not all parishes are perfect, and not all can do things the most ideal way possible. So, they do what they can, while still remaining obedient to Mother Church. If the Church says it's okay provided explanation of the ideal or whatever, then I really don't think there's a problem with this, nor do I feel it's worth debating, as we've all had this debate before.

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1306439607' post='2246305']
1) If there is a severe lack of servers, and girls are more willing/present/available.
2) If servers are irresponsible and do not show up, and the only available person who knows how to do the job is a girl.
3) Because it's not illegal when explained, as you said.

I know what you're going to say. You might say something along the lines of "this should never happen," "there's no such thing as a lack of servers," "the parish should get young men interested in serving" etc etc. But sadly, not all parishes are perfect, and not all can do things the most ideal way possible. So, they do what they can, while still remaining obedient to Mother Church. If the Church says it's okay provided explanation of the ideal or whatever, then I really don't think there's a problem with this, nor do I feel it's worth debating, as we've all had this debate before.
[/quote]

To point #1. That is more rare than you can possibly know. I don't know of one parish where there is a "severe lack" of boys. Not one...even in dying and older parishes, there are boys.

To point #2. Irresponsibility is something that can be corrected. If the male servers are held accountable they will do what is asked. Unless of course you're stereotyping boys as being more irresponsible than girls.

To point #3. Will you provide me a link to your bishop's teaching on the particular reason for allowing female servers and the date when it was given to the parishes? I would like to know his reasoning.

The questions you assume (mostly correct) that I'm going to ask are legitimate ones. Especially the third. If there is no particular reason which is valid, other than "It's ok..." then I don't see how the bishop can be justified. As was said before, this is a discipline, not a doctrine, not a dogma....the bishop can be wrong and can be criticized in this matter.

:closed:

Remember boys and girls, Catholic vs Catholic debate is not allowed on this site.
Everybody is welcome, but please respect the phorum guidelines. Thanks. Y'all are the best!