An Old School Catholic Message Board

Maybe An Embarrasing Question

InPersonaChriste

[size="3"] [quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306490290' post='2246685']
I have always felt that I was born too late. Although I am bright and do enjoy the Office, in my heart of hearts I believe I would have been able to live my true vocation more perfectly in the days when I could have been a lay sister.
[/quote]

Well, I, for one, am glad that the distinctions are gone. In penitential orders like the Carmelite, there is no reason that everyone can't do everything within the cloister, with externs, who aren't lay, going outside. In many monasteries, there are no externs now, either, this perhaps by necessity. In one bio I read, the Carmelite prioress was an extern.

[/size]

InPersonaChriste

Thankyou for all the answers. Not only have you answered my question (mariepaix) but also added what other orders used. I guess as a woman I have always freaked out about these sort of things because Missionaries of Charity wear white sari's and Dominican's also wear white. And obviously women dont just stop when they enter the convent! And really I dont have anyone to talk to about this because no one I know has ever been in a convent!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306514577' post='2246780']
Thankyou for all the answers. Not only have you answered my question (mariepaix) but also added what other orders used. I guess as a woman I have always freaked out about these sort of things because Missionaries of Charity wear white sari's and Dominican's also wear white. And obviously women dont just stop when they enter the convent! And really I dont have anyone to talk to about this because no one I know has ever been in a convent!

[/quote]

It's too bad that God couldn't give us the gift of halting our periods when we have to wear white. LOL!

faithcecelia

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306514577' post='2246780']
Thankyou for all the answers. Not only have you answered my question (mariepaix) but also added what other orders used. I guess as a woman I have always freaked out about these sort of things because Missionaries of Charity wear white sari's and Dominican's also wear white. [b]And obviously women dont just stop when they enter the convent![/b] And really I dont have anyone to talk to about this because no one I know has ever been in a convent!

[/quote]

Actually, I did for 6mths! Living with 25 women sent my hormones haywire, i was just starting to worry when they restarted - in sync with everyone else!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306515878' post='2246789']
Actually, I did for 6mths! Living with 25 women sent my hormones haywire, i was just starting to worry when they restarted - in sync with everyone else!
[/quote]

I'd be more than okay with this!!!

Although, when I think about it... what a beautiful reminder of our fertility and of what we have given back to God.

InPersonaChriste

Yeah.. I keep on forgetting that women cycle in sync with eachother... It is sometimes horrible in our house because everyone with PMS at the same time!!

Edited by InPersonaChriste

faithcecelia

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1306516503' post='2246797']
I'd be more than okay with this!!!

Although, when I think about it... what a beautiful reminder of our fertility and of what we have given back to God.
[/quote]

The first few months I was just grateful I didn't have the hassle as well as all the settling in etc, then it got to 4 and I thought if it got to 6 I would need to see a dr, then it got to 6 and I was ooooooooh noooooo I dont want to tell my NM so I'll wait one more month til I have a new young NM and it finally arrived!

One advantage of being in a convent, certainly where I was, is you never get caught out - theres what you need in every loo. I did warn the girl who entered after me though, just in case the same thing happened to her but she was fine, just fell in sync in a couple of months.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306517732' post='2246813']
The first few months I was just grateful I didn't have the hassle as well as all the settling in etc, then it got to 4 and I thought if it got to 6 I would need to see a dr, then it got to 6 and I was ooooooooh noooooo I dont want to tell my NM so I'll wait one more month til I have a new young NM and it finally arrived!

One advantage of being in a convent, certainly where I was, is you never get caught out - theres what you need in every loo. I did warn the girl who entered after me though, just in case the same thing happened to her but she was fine, just fell in sync in a couple of months.
[/quote]

Yeah... Girly time is always out of whack for me...If not better by the fall, I'll be going to the lady doc. :shudder:

InPersonaChriste

[img]http://reflectionzfromjudyzheart.net/MotherTeresa_Photos_Information/mother_teresa_andMissionriesOfCharity.jpg[/img]

I have always thought their habit was the most practical and beautiful of all orders. I know its not "traditional" but it has its own beauty to the way they live and serve.

[img]http://www.dlcache.indiatimes.com/imageserve/06dtbr190fcD1/350x.jpg[/img]

There is of course the contemplative order. And I think it is beautiful that they have 6 hours of silent meditation. I know that would take so much patience from me.

Out of all the orders the ones I have looked into the most are Missionaries of Charity, Benedictine Nuns, and Dominicans.

faithcecelia

I have endless admiration for these sisters, I know there is no way I could do the work they do and live the life they live. Their contemplative sisters do appeal in a way, but I still don't think I would cope with the day to day practicalities.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306524830' post='2246854']
I have endless admiration for these sisters, I know there is no way I could do the work they do and live the life they live. Their contemplative sisters do appeal in a way, but I still don't think I would cope with the day to day practicalities.
[/quote]

I agree. Their life is admirable, but very harsh and austere. One of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal that I met--Sr. Agnes--was discerning with both the CFRs and the MCs and discerned that she was called to the CFRs. She was a registered nurse before she entered and really desired to serve the poor. Now she is a fully professed Sister, having professed her final vows a few years ago, and she is also the novice mistress of the order. She told me that, while she found the life of the MCs difficult, if God was calling her to it, she would obey. I don't think I could handle it, but they wouldn't accept me anyway since I have to be on medication. ;)