An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have You Ever Seen The Movie "a Nun's Story"?

the171

tnavarro61

Yes I have a VCD of it which I purchased three years ago. I enjoyed it although it's quite difficult for me to understand why she left.

Catherine Therese

I saw it last year, not long after I arrived at my complete 'yes'.

I'm afraid that, whilst I enjoyed most of it, the end was profoundly upsetting for me. It really troubled me that a fully professed sister who had been living her spousal relationship with Christ for some 20 years could walk away from that vow. (She got a dispensation, but it still troubled me.)

Actually upon reflection I think the film painted her life as very much a well-intentioned but human endeavour, rather than a human response to a Divine call. So I suppose its not all that suprising that she left. Nevertheless, it was still upsetting.

BarbTherese

I saw it in my teens probably 50 years ago when I aspired to monastic life (and later entered). In my teens I was so sad she left on a few levels. Sr. Luke, I think was her name in "The Nun's Story" (Audrey Hepburn and later Peter Finch at one point. Both acted brialliantly). I couldn't understand how she could actually enter, be finally professed for many years and then leave. Back then, I had to wait to enter monastic life and each day of waiting seemed like years. I thought I would sacrifice absoluteoly anything to be a nun. Now I have some insight into both religious life and human nature - and with more insight into "The Nun's Story". It was fictional I think, or was it based on a true story? I tend to agree that she was absolutely well intentioned all the way, but finally not called to the life. Sr. Luke was not prepared to give up her total free will to God as expressed through her superior. The many intense and profound struggles she did overcome, does seem to portray that the Grace of vocation was with her in earlier years.
I think it is possible, since all things are possible to God, for God to call one to the life for a period and only for that period. Although after final profession and Sr. Luke was finally professed, to leave is very serious indeed. Never undertaken lightly. I think the question is, does God have other plans, or is the religious unfaithful to her vocation? Although Sr Luke had many struggles in her journey, profound struggles, she was a dedicated religious. Her final profound struggle overcame her - or did God had other plans for her? If I recall rightly, didn't she say that if she did not get the necessary permission, she would leave anyway? - or is that my projection :blink:? She left during WWII and, if memory serves, she just could not remain detached from the war. I am not too sure about memory there. I think she did get that final official permission?

Certainly, "The Nun's Story" does not portray religious life as a romantic journey, but a potentially profoundly difficult one. A journey that will ask the Grace of religious vocation at every step and profoundly so potentially at some points. A life that will ask a readiness to give God absolutely everything and no matter the sacrifice - sometimes, however, we can be unaware of just how profound and absolute that readiness is going to need to be and impossible without God's Grace of religious vocation. Or do you think that the strugglles were over stated?

Sr Luke's was a pre V2 journey and obedience to her superior did ask some absolutely demanding matters and her vow of Obedience was very much tried in the years before she left.

Why did Sr. Luke finally leave?

I am curious [i]the171[/i], what is the question? I think that lots of interesting questions are raised by "The Nun's Story" - although the Order Sr. Luke entered was quite strict, she was a religious sister, not a nun. Back pre V2 some active religious orders were very strict indeed and except for enclosure, almost monastic.

God bless - Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

LaPetiteSoeur

I have seen this movie; it is in parts on youtube.

I really like it and my mother likes it a lot (she likes Audrey Hepburn!). What is your question?

BarbTherese

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1306232088' post='2245309']
I have seen this movie; it is in parts on youtube.

I really like it and my mother likes it a lot (she likes Audrey Hepburn!). What is your question?
[/quote]

..........and didn't Audrey Heburn make an absolutely beautiful nun! Her transformation after her clothing was profound - but then I think every postulant has a profound transformation when clothed in the habit. They seem to go from a person of this world dressed in black often, into a person that is definitely not of this world - a companion of angels. That is to appearances. And doesn't Peter Finch act brilliantly the athiest and totally outspoken, but brilliant, work-a-holic docotor. Excellent casting! Were any acting awards handed out?

SoonerCatholic

I've seen it (multiple times, I own a copy) and I think it's a beautiful movie even if the ending is quite sad. I've also read the book of the same title by Katherine Hulme which is based on a true story.

It got nominated for 8 Oscars, but didn't win any. According to [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053131/awards"]IMDB[/url] it won 13 awards and was nominated for 12 others.

CatherineM

Many times over the years. The first time when I was a teenager, and had the romantic notion that she would go off to the Congo after the war and marry the doctor. Reality was much more disappointing.

BarbTherese

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1306246611' post='2245362']
I've seen it (multiple times, I own a copy) and I think it's a beautiful movie even if the ending is quite sad. I've also read the book of the same title by Katherine Hulme which is based on a true story.

It got nominated for 8 Oscars, but didn't win any. According to [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053131/awards"]IMDB[/url] it won 13 awards and was nominated for 12 others.
[/quote]

Thank you for all the above [i]SoonerCatholic [/i]- especially that it is a book based on a true story. On the web to see if I could buy the book, came across a thread on the subject of "The Nun's Story" on Catholic Answers: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=156742

I haven't given the movie a thought in many a year - time to get the book if I can.

God bless - Barb

BarbTherese

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1306249054' post='2245371']
Many times over the years. The first time when I was a teenager, and had the romantic notion that she would go off to the Congo after the war and marry the doctor. Reality was much more disappointing.
[/quote]

Fascinating to consider our teenage dreams - the pictures one had in one's mind of oneself and one's future - and then the actual the journey that subsequently unfolded, huh? Must admit though, her marrying that gruff, rough outspoken athiestic doctor never once remotely crossed my mind. I thought he was a dreadful man. Although his cure of Sr Luke's illness was absolutely amazing to say the least. I am sure, however, a good wife would have done him the world of good. I did rather hope and dream though I might look something like an Audrey Hepburn in habit. But of course, I would never ever ever ever leave for any reason. Those hopes crashed too.
Edit: I must underscore what I read on the Catholic Answers thread (link in my previous post). Never let another's experience, any book or movie, affect one's discerning of religious life. If you have a vocation to the life, it is a great life in my book -- and nowadays there is far more information about life within religious life and the various orders and communites than there ever was pre V2 for sure and for quite some years after V2.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1306252482' post='2245387']
Fascinating to consider our teenage dreams - the pictures one had in one's mind of oneself and one's future - and then the actual the journey that subsequently unfolded, huh? Must admit though, her marrying that gruff, rough outspoken athiestic doctor never once remotely crossed my mind. I thought he was a dreadful man. Although his cure of Sr Luke's illness was absolutely amazing to say the least. I am sure, however, a good wife would have done him the world of good. I did rather hope and dream though I might look something like an Audrey Hepburn in habit. But of course, I would never ever ever ever leave for any reason. Those hopes crashed too.
Edit: I must underscore what I read on the Catholic Answers thread (link in my previous post). Never let another's experience, any book or movie, affect one's discerning of religious life. If you have a vocation to the life, it is a great life going in my book -- and nowadays there is far more information about life within religious life and the various orders and communites than there ever was pre V2 for sure and for some years after V2.
[/quote]

I have read the book and seen parts of the movie. In the book, Sr. Luke was never attracted to the doctor. She was driven too hard in the Congo, and didn't stop for anything all day long except for taking communion at mass, which she didn't attend--They brought it to her. At other times she was able to sing in the choir. Her entire experience was very very difficult, marrying their requirement for obedience with taking of extreme responsibility. This led to situations in which she had to make a fast decision which might save lives--but had to check with with Mother first. I don't think that this sort of obedience is practiced now in missionary communities, judging of what I've read from the Maryknoll sisters. Also Sr. Luke was very bright, but her superiors often thought she called attention to herself, which she didn't, and one suggested she deliberately fail her exams as an act of humility. Very bad advice. She and her other sisters saw terrible things in the Congo and endured terrible working conditions. Then she returns to war-torn Belgium to find her superiors there sucking up to the Nazis for privileges. This she couldn't stand. She happened to meet a resistor who gave her a way out. She took it. It was much easier to get vows released during wartime.

There is a book called "Grace Before Meals" published in the US, which describes the sort of penances such as begging the soup, which Sr. Luke experienced, and a lot more, kneeling in the refectory while others ate, prostrating during meals, eating on the floor, etc., which were practiced in this country up to Vat II. Pretty horrifying .

Edited by Yaatee

Yes, I saw it. Made me want to enter religious life even [i]more[/i] after I first saw it, which might be ironic, considering the ending!