An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books

LaPetiteSoeur

faithcecelia

If you want to explore vocation, and are prepared to cry your heart out, I'd definately read this [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tears-Night-Joy-Dawn-Seminarian/dp/0954033523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1306184623&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co...06184623&sr=8-1[/url]

Edited by faithcecelia

[b][font="Book Antiqua"][/font][/b][quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1306174998' post='2244951']
I'm ordering some books today on everything (some for school next year, others for fun).

Two I have on my list are [i]Story of a Soul [/i]and [i]Fire Within

What others would you suggest?

[b]A must read is "Wild and Robust" by McNamara.[/b]
[/quote]

LaPetiteSoeur

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions!

I ordered:

The Diary of St. Faustina
Fire Within
Story of a Soul
Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy.

Thanks again! The diary's coming next Tuesday (so excited!) and the others are coming later!! :nun2:

I believe in love
evidential power of beauty - dubay
virginity - cantalamessa
and you are christ's - dubay
imitation of christ
catherine of siena - undset
st. francis - chesterton
the sadness of christ - thomas more
only the lover sings - pieper
practice of the presence of God - brother lawrence
St. Gertrude's works

also u can get a lot of these free on librivox's podcast on itunes

woops i missed that u ordered :)

Edited by 1catholic

Sister Marie

I would recommend [i]Source and Summit[/i] and any of the Father Timothy Gallagher books on Ignatian Discernment. [i] I heard him speak and he was wonderful. His books are a great help in discernment especially. My favorites are [i]The Examen [/i] and [i]Discernment of Spirits[/i]. Visits to the Most Holy Sacrament and the Blessed Virgin Mary [/i] by St. Alphonsus Liguori - the one with the commentary by Father Dennis Billy is wonderful. Also, [i]The way of perfection [/i]and [i]Conformity to God's Will[/i] by St. Alphonsus are good reads too! The Ignatian books by Father Gallagher changed my prayer life.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1306175848' post='2244956']
Vocation Station Booklist!!!

Story of a Soul= FANTASTIC!!! Make sure you don't read it too fast though, slow down and savor :)

[i]The Soul of the Apostolate[/i] -Chautard (deep)
[i]To Whom Shall We Go[/i]? -Archbishop Timothy Dolan (quick read, but WOW)
[i]Where there is Love, there is God[/i] -Mother Teresa (vocation goldmine- much of it is letters to her sisters)
[i]My Beloved[/i] -Thomas (it's out of print, but there is a thread by Vee8 here that talks gives a link to read it online... amesome)
[/quote]

My Beloved:The Story of a Carmelite Nun by Mother Catherine Thomas OCD

on www.bookfinder.com the cheapest worn used copy I could find was about $28.00.

You might try getting it on interlibrary loan.

PrayerSupporter

My Beloved:The Story of a Carmelite Nun by Mother Catherine Thomas OCD

is available online at: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015026764996

It's a beautiful book that explains the Carmelite vocation very well.

faithcecelia

'Upon This Mountain' Prayer in the Carmelite Tradition by Mary McCormack OCD (possibly my future prioress!)

Lovely simple, thoughtful and informative book, plus only £4!

InPersonaChriste

Take Five by Pope Benedict XVI

Its really short and sweet and a GREAT way to start your day before you go to work or even do whatever.

LaPetiteSoeur

Thanks for more suggestions! I may make another order soon.

Also, do any of you know of any Dominican writings that aren't [i]Summa Theologica[/i]? I'm still a Dominican at heart, so I thought I'd read up on the OPs!

:nunpray:

MargaretTeresa

I am currently reading "Hail Holy Queen" by Scott Hahn. So far it's really good. Lots of Mother Mary and scripture. :)

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Therese-Genevieve-Holy-Face/dp/0895555980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306976621&sr=8-1"]My Sister St. Therese[/url] by Celine Martin - I recommend it for EVERYONE I know who is discerning; it gives you a realistic look into what you can expect of the day-to-day life of a religious - the daily struggle, differences in temperaments with the other Sisters, etc. -- and how a SAINT would react to them and deal with them charitably.

Seriously - a lot of people look at religious life through rose-colored glasses, and this helps one to realize just how much of a struggle it can be! (And, conversely, how BEAUTIFUL and SANCTIFYING!)

I also think there are a couple old book threads in VS that list some really great reads, too! :)

FutureSister2009

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1306976686' post='2248996']
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Therese-Genevieve-Holy-Face/dp/0895555980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306976621&sr=8-1"]My Sister St. Therese[/url] by Celine Martin - I recommend it for EVERYONE I know who is discerning; it gives you a realistic look into what you can expect of the day-to-day life of a religious - the daily struggle, differences in temperaments with the other Sisters, etc. -- and how a SAINT would react to them and deal with them charitably.

Seriously - a lot of people look at religious life through rose-colored glasses, and this helps one to realize just how much of a struggle it can be! (And, conversely, how BEAUTIFUL and SANCTIFYING!)

I also think there are a couple old book threads in VS that list some really great reads, too! :)
[/quote]

I really want to read that since I've already read Story of a Soul multiple times! Now I need to get my hands on this!