An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marvelous Clip Of Ocd Nun In Heels...!

Yaatee

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1306005189' post='2244251']
I like that non-insistence on cutting hair. Having longer hair does help keep it in place (Otherwise you get all those litlte frizzies!).

I personally don't like the cutting hair routine during the clothing. Many young women wear their hair short now. I suspect that in many cases the postulants are requested to [i]grow[/i] their hair so that it can be cut during their clothing!
[/quote]

Funny, I just assumed that Orders that wear traditional habits and veils required the Sisters to at least wear their hair short, both for religious symbolism reasons, and also, because wearing your hair short and non-stylish, saves time, means no blow-dryer is required, and I'd heard was cooler and more practical under at least some veils. I've noticed that whle the Web sites of many Communities give a great deal of information, I don't think I've ever seen a mention of the Community's requirements regarding hair, except that some pictures of Clothing ceremonies either show the hair being cut, or it's clear from the pictures of the postulants that their hair was cut pretty uniformly short before the ceremony. Maybe it's too personal a subject--just like I have no idea what Sisters in most Communities wear to bed. We've never really even discussed that on VS.

However, I was under the impression that few Commmunities anymore require Sisters to actually shave their heads. I think one Paulist Community I've heard of does, but I've never heard any others.

I HAD heard of Orders that didn't necessarily cut the Sister's hair at the clothing ceremony, but at first vows or final vows. Especially since Sisters don't take vows during postulancy or the Novitiate, this means there is more of a chance the Sister might leave, and going back into secular life with unusually short hair could be difficult.

Interesting that, with all the discussions of various Orders on VS, we've never really discussed details of what different Communities require on an ongoing basis in terms of how short Sisters wear their hair.

faithcecelia

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1306006651' post='2244264']
just like I have no idea what Sisters in most Communities wear to bed. [/quote]

I was told I could wear what I wanted to bed, or nothing if I so choose, but if thats the case to remember to wear my dressing gown to the bathroom as I wouldn't be the first to forget!!:blink: thankfully I neither forgot nor witnessed another sister forgetting!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306006980' post='2244266']
I was told I could wear what I wanted to bed, or nothing if I so choose, but if thats the case to remember to wear my dressing gown to the bathroom as I wouldn't be the first to forget!!:blink: thankfully I neither forgot nor witnessed another sister forgetting!
[/quote]

I've heard of some older Sisters saying that in the old days they'd sleep with a bunch of different (devotional-size, not habit-size) scapulars and it is a mercy they did not all strangle in their sleep with all the cords!

(Presumably they also had some sort of habit-nightgown although I suppose I did not ask ...)

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1306010657' post='2244269']
I've heard of some older Sisters saying that in the old days they'd sleep with a bunch of different (devotional-size, not habit-size) scapulars and it is a mercy they did not all strangle in their sleep with all the cords!

(Presumably they also had some sort of habit-nightgown although I suppose I did not ask ...)
[/quote]

In 'comparing' the Poor Clares with the Discalced Carmelites, the PC's--the Collettines, anyway-the most strict-- wear a 'sleep habit' or their real habit to bed as they rise at midnight. That would be a real penance for me, both the wearing and the rising...

faithcecelia

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1306010904' post='2244271']
In 'comparing' the Poor Clares with the Discalced Carmelites, the PC's--the Collettines, anyway-the most strict-- wear a 'sleep habit' or their real habit to bed as they rise at midnight. That would be a real penance for me, both the wearing and the rising...
[/quote]

Me too. I need very little sleep, thankfully, but wouldn't fancy having to get up in the night! The Poor Clares I visited last year (not Colletines) haven't got uo for some years, but are amalgamating at the moment, maybe already, and the community they are joining do rise but just a couple of nights a week.

I can't remember exactly what it was in relation to but I do remember some older sisters telling me they slept with 7 pins in *something* and had to learn to sleep without wriggling too much to avoid pricking themselves. That would have been no good for me, I am the worlds most restless sleeper!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306011293' post='2244273']
Me too. I need very little sleep, thankfully, but wouldn't fancy having to get up in the night! The Poor Clares I visited last year (not Colletines) haven't got uo for some years, but are amalgamating at the moment, maybe already, and the community they are joining do rise but just a couple of nights a week.

I can't remember exactly what it was in relation to but I do remember some older sisters telling me they slept with 7 pins in *something* and had to learn to sleep without wriggling too much to avoid pricking themselves. That would have been no good for me, I am the worlds most restless sleeper!
[/quote]

There is a report from the OCD monastery at Kirk Edge that they pinned a flat piece of cloth to their under sheet as a 'pillow' and then removed the pins in the AM. There were/are a number of such customs at KE. I would find these difficult.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1306011587' post='2244275']
There is a report from the OCD monastery at Kirk Edge that they pinned a flat piece of cloth to their under sheet as a 'pillow' and then removed the pins in the AM. There were/are a number of such customs at KE. I would find these difficult.
[/quote]

That may well be what these sisters were talking about then. I don't know but there may have been pins in their night veils too.

That video is really amusing. It's so cute how the one (laughing) in the background just can't contain herself!

IgnatiusofLoyola

This is off-topic, and shows how really secular I am........but every time I read the title of this thread, I read "Ocd" as "obsessive compulsive disorder." (My ex-husband was/is a clinical psychologist and some things just stay with you, I guess.) I wonder how we know this nun is OCD, but in many orders, being at least a little OCD might be helpful or encouraged. Then I remember is that Ocd is one "branch" of the Carmelites.

I confess, I'm one of those people who can't imagine why so many women actually like tall spike heels. Yes, they make your legs look good, but I already have good legs. They also make you tall and look thinner, and since I'm only 5'4" and could lose a little weight, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

But, oh the foot problems and back problems they cause! Back in the bad old days, when I had to "dress for success" and wear business suits and heels (but not spike heels), I had constant back problems. As soon as my employer changed to "casual dress" I changed to flat shoes and my back problems went away.

And, in a full habit, you wouldn't see that your legs looked nice, and being taller wouldn't matter. But, after wearing a black or brown habit, I could see that a little bright pink on your feet would be a nice change. I could easily wear the habit of the "Pink Sisters." Just wearing it and seeing all that bright color would make me happy, especially during the long, gray winter.

However, as far as shoes, I know that I am unusual that I just can't get "into" caring about shoes. Some women LOVE shoes (which is fine), but shoes make me go "Meh." Inside the house, I actually go barefoot. Maybe I'm secretly a Poor Clare. NOT! I greatly admire women who can get by on little sleep and are able to get up in the middle of the night, but I can't do it. (And, in fact, for me it would be unhealthy, because I have a sleep disorder where I get no Stage 4 sleep, and deliberately waking up just during the time when most people's bodies are getting some of their Stage 4 sleep would be the worst thing I could do. My doctors and I are on a constant quest to find ways to keep me asleep all night. It's tough because lots of medications that could help me stay asleep, or help with pain (which I have, too) actually reduce Stage Stage 4 sleep.) I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of my health, just that the sleep schedules of even Communities that sleep all night are ruled out for me, because I need more than 7 or 8 nights of sleep.

But, those of you who can get by on little sleep are SO lucky. BTW, one sleep factoid for those discerning who dread getting up at 5 am. The group of adults who need the most sleep are younger women in their teens and early to mid-twenties. (Not sure why, probably hormonal.) So, theoretically, in religious life, as you get older, the sleep schedules of most Communties should get easier (unless you have a sleep disorder like mine--which thankfully is pretty unusual).

I do wonder sometimes how religious life might be have been different if St. Benedict liked to sleep late. LOL But, even in secular life, people have to get up early to get ready for work. And., if they have families, the mother usually has to get up even earlier to get the kids ready for school. Even without St. Benedict, an active Sister would have to get up early anyway, to have time for prayer and Mass before going to her apostolate for the day.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1306010904' post='2244271']
[/quote]

I couldn't do the getting out of bed at midnight bit, which is why I am most certainly not a discalced Carmelite or a Collettine. 5am isn't bad (catholic high school) and it isn't awful. Most of my university classes are early in the morning (7:30-10:30!). But once I'm asleep, I tend to stay that way until 5 (or 4:45)

faithcecelia

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1306090979' post='2244502']
I couldn't do the getting out of bed at midnight bit, which is why I am most certainly not a discalced Carmelite or a Collettine. 5am isn't bad (catholic high school) and it isn't awful. Most of my university classes are early in the morning (7:30-10:30!). But once I'm asleep, I tend to stay that way until 5 (or 4:45)
[/quote]

Carmelites don't get up in the night, St Teresa did away with it - maybe she liked her bed?:blush:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1306089855' post='2244496']
This is off-topic, and shows how really secular I am........but every time I read the title of this thread, I read "Ocd" as "obsessive compulsive disorder." (My ex-husband was/is a clinical psychologist and some things just stay with you, I guess.) I wonder how we know this nun is OCD, but in many orders, being at least a little OCD might be helpful or encouraged. Then I remember is that Ocd is one "branch" of the Carmelites.

I confess, I'm one of those people who can't imagine why so many women actually like tall spike heels. Yes, they make your legs look good, but I already have good legs. They also make you tall and look thinner, and since I'm only 5'4" and could lose a little weight, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

But, oh the foot problems and back problems they cause! Back in the bad old days, when I had to "dress for success" and wear business suits and heels (but not spike heels), I had constant back problems. As soon as my employer changed to "casual dress" I changed to flat shoes and my back problems went away.

And, in a full habit, you wouldn't see that your legs looked nice, and being taller wouldn't matter. But, after wearing a black or brown habit, I could see that a little bright pink on your feet would be a nice change. I could easily wear the habit of the "Pink Sisters." Just wearing it and seeing all that bright color would make me happy, especially during the long, gray winter.

However, as far as shoes, I know that I am unusual that I just can't get "into" caring about shoes. Some women LOVE shoes (which is fine), but shoes make me go "Meh." Inside the house, I actually go barefoot. Maybe I'm secretly a Poor Clare. NOT! I greatly admire women who can get by on little sleep and are able to get up in the middle of the night, but I can't do it. (And, in fact, for me it would be unhealthy, because I have a sleep disorder where I get no Stage 4 sleep, and deliberately waking up just during the time when most people's bodies are getting some of their Stage 4 sleep would be the worst thing I could do. My doctors and I are on a constant quest to find ways to keep me asleep all night. It's tough because lots of medications that could help me stay asleep, or help with pain (which I have, too) actually reduce Stage Stage 4 sleep.) I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of my health, just that the sleep schedules of even Communities that sleep all night are ruled out for me, because I need more than 7 or 8 nights of sleep.

But, those of you who can get by on little sleep are SO lucky. BTW, one sleep factoid for those discerning who dread getting up at 5 am. The group of adults who need the most sleep are younger women in their teens and early to mid-twenties. (Not sure why, probably hormonal.) So, theoretically, in religious life, as you get older, the sleep schedules of most Communities should get easier (unless you have a sleep disorder like mine--which thankfully is pretty unusual).

I do wonder sometimes how religious life might be have been different if St. Benedict liked to sleep late. LOL But, even in secular life, people have to get up early to get ready for work. And., if they have families, the mother usually has to get up even earlier to get the kids ready for school. Even without St. Benedict, an active Sister would have to get up early anyway, to have time for prayer and Mass before going to her apostolate for the day.
[/quote]

My sympathies are with you. I have know many who take trazedone at night for quality sleep, including a colleague who never slept well his entire life and was finally worked up with a sleep study.

Nothing achieves sleep deprivation quite like having children. My sister in law with three in three years, and I, with two in 3.5 years, didn't sleep through the night for years, this when I was also working full-time.

Benedict lived in the 6th century. No one slept late then. Everyone rose with the sun. Life was much tougher then, and still is in the third or fourth world now, with a much shorter life expectancy. However, people should discern religious life with their sleep requirements in mind.

Sister Marie

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1306089855' post='2244496']

But, those of you who can get by on little sleep are SO lucky. BTW, one sleep factoid for those discerning who dread getting up at 5 am. The group of adults who need the most sleep are younger women in their teens and early to mid-twenties. (Not sure why, probably hormonal.) So, theoretically, in religious life, as you get older, the sleep schedules of most Communties should get easier (unless you have a sleep disorder like mine--which thankfully is pretty unusual).

[/quote]

My community is an apostolic community and we don't get up in the middle of the night to pray - we would never have enough energy to work all day if we did! At least I wouldn't. However there is a phenomenon that we humorously refer to as the "nonsleepers." There exist these nuns who are the last to bed and the first awake and are happy, joyful, prayerful, and holy sisters... the rest of us are jealous of them! Really though, we never see them after they have just woken up and we've never passed their room with the door closed and them in bed... because they are nonsleepers. I wish I was one of them because it would make life so much easier - all my papers would be neatly graded and returned promptly to my students, my charges would be perpetually clean and no one would ever see me do them, my prayers would all be said, I could recreate without the burden of my unfinished work holding me down... It would be glorious.

I have a friend who is one of these amazing "nonsleepers." One time when I was staying at her convent we were up late chatting and I was thinking to myself "It's almost 11, I need to go to bed... after this I'm going to sleep." Then she took out the directions on how to clean the ice maker... nonsleepers!

I wake up at 4:30 each morning and go to bed around 10 or 10:30 each night and I barely make it on that, haha. And even with that time, there are a lot of tasks that are left undone and wait until the next day. But you got it right when you said active sisters have to get up early... sometimes we wake up earlier than contemplatives because most of the time the early morning is the only time for us to have a Holy Hour before prayers and Mass. I work all day so if I don't wake up early, I don't pray.

Well, maybe as I get older God will bless me with the mysterious gift of being a "nonsleeper." Until then - I'll keep trucking along!

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1306101802' post='2244571']
My community is an apostolic community and we don't get up in the middle of the night to pray - we would never have enough energy to work all day if we did! At least I wouldn't. However there is a phenomenon that we humorously refer to as the "nonsleepers." There exist these nuns who are the last to bed and the first awake and are happy, joyful, prayerful, and holy sisters... the rest of us are jealous of them! Really though, we never see them after they have just woken up and we've never passed their room with the door closed and them in bed... because they are nonsleepers. I wish I was one of them because it would make life so much easier - all my papers would be neatly graded and returned promptly to my students, my charges would be perpetually clean and no one would ever see me do them, my prayers would all be said, I could recreate without the burden of my unfinished work holding me down... It would be glorious.

I have a friend who is one of these amazing "nonsleepers." One time when I was staying at her convent we were up late chatting and I was thinking to myself "It's almost 11, I need to go to bed... after this I'm going to sleep." Then she took out the directions on how to clean the ice maker... nonsleepers!

I wake up at 4:30 each morning and go to bed around 10 or 10:30 each night and I barely make it on that, haha. And even with that time, there are a lot of tasks that are left undone and wait until the next day. But you got it right when you said active sisters have to get up early... sometimes we wake up earlier than contemplatives because most of the time the early morning is the only time for us to have a Holy Hour before prayers and Mass. I work all day so if I don't wake up early, I don't pray.

Well, maybe as I get older God will bless me with the mysterious gift of being a "nonsleeper." Until then - I'll keep trucking along!
[/quote]

Your 'report' confirms my impression that apostolic sisters are among the hardest-working, most sleep-deprived of...anyone...!