An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sincere Thanks

Catherine Therese

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1305774494' post='2243450']
I believe that there are 22 there, currently, (so 5 discerned out) but they are having 2 postulants who previously left (from previous entrance classes) joining them this summer.
[/quote]

I like that they are open to giving previous candidates another chance. A lot of orders are like, 'once you leave, that is it, no second chances.' I think it's important for communities to have a modicum of acceptance for these kind of things in case someone makes a mistake or needs to leave to re-evaluate. Maybe they entered at the wrong time, but God truly was calling them there? I know those who have left because their family member was ill and they wanted to care for them, but they were later able to come back after the family member was healthy again. I know that there are some that are very careful, and that is important, but we are all human and we make mistakes. ;)

Mary Magdalene

Yay!!! Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. All the best with all the prep before you enter! :clapping:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1305778028' post='2243484']
I like that they are open to giving previous candidates another chance. A lot of orders are like, 'once you leave, that is it, no second chances.' I think it's important for communities to have a modicum of acceptance for these kind of things in case someone makes a mistake or needs to leave to re-evaluate. Maybe they entered at the wrong time, but God truly was calling them there? I know those who have left because their family member was ill and they wanted to care for them, but they were later able to come back after the family member was healthy again. I know that there are some that are very careful, and that is important, but we are all human and we make mistakes. ;)
[/quote]

The Rule of Benedict (which, obviously the Dominicans do not follow, but it is an interesting point of comparison) explicitly says that you can leave and re-enter up to three times.

Sometimes it takes a while for us to find our way. Eventually you need to pick one and stick with it, but there can be a few stops and starts to get there.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1305771722' post='2243431']
Sr. Anna Grace taught one of my sister's classes this year, I think. And she gave the postulants dance lessons! :clapping:
[/quote]

yup, the ballerina nun. :)

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1305774149' post='2243447']
Miss Scripture,

Do you know how many of the 27 postulants who entered in Aug 2010 are still remaining? I was curious how the two Dominican orders have compared. The DSMME's have had 4 leave. Must really be a tough situation making that decision.

Thanks in advance

Darlene
[/quote]

Thank you very much! That is great that they allow them to re-enter. I imagine sometimes family emergencies come up.

MissScripture

Catherine Terese - Do you know how many postulants there are for this year, so far? I'm so excited for you! :dance: Weird to think, my little sister will finally be a "big sister" to people! :hehe:

IgnatiusofLoyola

Congratulations! You'll be Miss Scripture's Sister sister's Sister! LOL

When I've looked at the number of departures for the ND's (I've never looked at the DSMMEs to compare), it seems as if more candidates leave during the 2nd (novitiate) year. And, that makes sense to me. The purpose of the canonical novitiate year is to focus on spiritual issues and and the Sister's relationship with God. I would think the canonical novitiate year could be very hard for some Sisters called to an active apostolate. They're used to getting out and doing things (and that's what they'll be doing for the rest of their life) so spending a year not "being out and about" isn't their natural temperament. However, in the end, I think that taking a year to seriously consider their vocation, with a minimum of outside distractions, is a very important thing--a religious vocation isn't like going to college--it's for life!

P.S. How did it happen that you were on the phone with the vocations director at 1 am? I probably should know this from reading your other posts (or taking the time to look at your profile), but are you on different continent than the U.S.?

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1305851144' post='2243732']
Congratulations! You'll be Miss Scripture's Sister sister's Sister! LOL

When I've looked at the number of departures for the ND's (I've never looked at the DSMMEs to compare), it seems like more candidates leave during the 2nd (novitiate) year. And, that makes sense to me. The purpose of the canonical novitiate year is to focus on spiritual issues and and the Sister's relationship with God. I would think the canonical novitiate year could be very hard for some Sisters called to an active apostolate. They're used to getting out and doing things (and that's what they'll be doing for the rest of their life) so spending a year not "being out and about" isn't their natural temperament. However, in the end, I think that taking a year to seriously consider their vocation, with a minimum of outside distractions, is a very important thing--a religious vocation isn't like going to college--it's for life!

P.S. How did it happen that you were on the phone with the vocations director at 1 am? I probably should know this from reading your other posts (or taking the time to look at your profile), but are you on different continent than the U.S.?
[/quote]
No, the NDs are a nocturnal order. :| j/k, she's from Australia. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1305851607' post='2243735']
No, the NDs are a nocturnal order. :| j/k, she's from Australia. :)
[/quote]

LOL. I see. ND=Nocturnal Dominican. :joecool:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1305778028' post='2243484']
I like that they are open to giving previous candidates another chance. A lot of orders are like, 'once you leave, that is it, no second chances.' I think it's important for communities to have a modicum of acceptance for these kind of things in case someone makes a mistake or needs to leave to re-evaluate. Maybe they entered at the wrong time, but God truly was calling them there? I know those who have left because their family member was ill and they wanted to care for them, but they were later able to come back after the family member was healthy again. I know that there are some that are very careful, and that is important, but we are all human and we make mistakes.
[/quote]

That's an interesting point MM. I think it would be good if some communities were at least consistent with their practice. Some will give one person multiple chances and someone else they won't give any extra chances! I can understand if the person is asked to leave the community, not to want them back, but if they left on their own, and up to that point the community was happy with them, it seems a little bit like 'payback' not to let them admit they made a mistake and try again, especially if this is already a precedent that they have let others try several times.... sigh ... but then I remind myself that we can't hope for 'justice' in this world, only in the next. And communities are only human too, after all. And I guess if this is how the ocmmunity feels, it wouldn't be so nice to go back again anyway... resentments tend to fester.

Don't mind me - highjacking here. This is about a very happy event - so congratulations to you Catherine Therese!! :like:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1305853169' post='2243738']
That's an interesting point MM. I think it would be good if some communities were at least consistent with their practice. Some will give one person multiple chances and someone else they won't give any extra chances! I can understand if the person is asked to leave the community, not to want them back, but if they left on their own, and up to that point the community was happy with them, it seems a little bit like 'payback' not to let them admit they made a mistake and try again, especially if this is already a precedent that they have let others try several times.... sigh ... but then I remind myself that we can't hope for 'justice' in this world, only in the next. And communities are only human too, after all. And I guess if this is how the ocmmunity feels, it wouldn't be so nice to go back again anyway... resentments tend to fester.

Don't mind me - highjacking here. This is about a very happy event - so congratulations to you Catherine Therese!! :like:
[/quote]

I often wonder if the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus would have ever allowed me a second chance if I discerned that I was called there still? I know, for a fact, that I am not, but it's something I think about occasionally. It was so confusing when I discovered that the apostolate was not the right fit for me, but being with the Sisters felt like home. I felt at peace in the Motherhouse, but not in the other convent in East Chicago. It's almost like my heart was being tugged one way and then another. I had a talk with Sr. Maria Giuseppe the day that I left. I asked to go home because things just were not working out and I could not see it getting any better. I asked her why would it seem like I was meant to be there at first and then not? She responded that just feeling at peace with the Motherhouse and not doing the work of the order is not enough to gauge whether or not you are truly called there. Which I later realized she was totally right. I hope that whatever community I apply to next (God-willing), I make a determined effort to discern whether it is THE order and not base it on a one time visit.

In the back of my head, though, there is always that thought that 'did I give up too soon?' I know it wouldn't have worked out, but there is always that thought. :blush: