An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Eye For An Eye?

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1305421637' post='2241603']
Wow. Stop the presses. Era and Hassan agree.
[/quote]
How bout that.

By the way, I feel bad for the lady who had acid thrown in her face. Such an unconscionable thing to have happen to you.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305418085' post='2241583']
Well to make him take that conscious would qualify as torture and cannot be justified.
[/quote]

I would rather suffer non crippling torture for a brief period of time than loose one sight in one eye unconcious in a hospital.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1305422326' post='2241608']
I would rather suffer non crippling torture for a brief period of time than loose one sight in one eye unconcious in a hospital.
[/quote]
Catholic belief precludes torture though, including that which doesn't leave lasting damage.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305422838' post='2241611']
Catholic belief precludes torture though, including that which doesn't leave lasting damage.
[/quote]

Just physical torture or emotional and psychological torture as well?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1305422895' post='2241612']
Just physical torture or emotional and psychological torture as well?
[/quote]
Good question. How do you define emotional or psychological torture?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1305421513' post='2241600']
Can someone explain how this is 'barbaric' but locking somebody in a small cage for 23 hours a day for years on end is enlightened and just?[/quote]

I completely agree. If you take into account the psychological affects of solitary confinement, those are much worse.

[quote]Violence is inherent to the state system. People just prefer it be disguised rather than accept it as an essential part to the system they depend on. So people want to put criminals away and pretend that if they just lock them in a small cage with other violent men, out of sight out of mind, we are being enlightened and humane.
[/quote] Indeed the American system pretends to "rehabilitate" their criminals, but this is all a joke.

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1305421527' post='2241601']
I don't think it's any more arbitrary and unreasonable than American sentencing. Would you rather have acid thrown on your face or be put in prison for 25 years? I think I'd take the acid. The American justice system thinks that because it does not inflict physical harm, that therefore it does not inflict harm. Frankly, I think some corporal punishments can be more humane than years and years of mental anguish in prison (not that either type of punishment solves the real problem). I'm not saying I support throwing acid in people's faces as punishment. I'm just saying that I don't think it's necessarily any more cruel than locking a man away for years.
[/quote]

I'm not sure which I'd pick but I don't think that I'd throw acid on a beautiful woman's face just because she rejected my hand in marriage either. However I do agree with you.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1305421619' post='2241602']
we should also pray for her to find the path to forgiveness (at least if he's sorry, which is another long difficult thread in itself to address). she's been put in a difficult path in life.
[/quote]

Well maybe she has forgiven, just not forgotten. Forgiveness is not expecting that he not face consequences to his actions. No doubt this woman has "a pair" bigger then most men that I know. I mean it does take courage to go through with such. She was willing to do it herself.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1305421637' post='2241603']
Wow. Stop the presses. Era and Hassan agree.
[/quote]

Stop the clocks, for that matter.

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1305422227' post='2241607']
How bout that.

By the way, I feel bad for the lady who had acid thrown in her face. Such an unconscionable thing to have happen to you.
[/quote]

No doubt. Most victims of it in Iran, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, etc. never get this sort of justice.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305422838' post='2241611']
[/quote]

Putting someone in solitary confinement is torture too, just not external, but internal.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1305423146' post='2241615']
Putting someone in solitary confinement is torture too, just not external, but internal.
[/quote]
You won't hear me disagreeing.

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305422944' post='2241613']
Good question. How do you define emotional or psychological torture?
[/quote]

Well for one I think it's more subjective than it seems. Some might find incarceration to be unbearable psychological or emotional torture, even if no physical harm is inflicted. I think it's anything intentional that[i] causes distress[/i], and psychological and emotional scars outlast physical scars in the distress they cause.

For instance, trying to get someone to believe that they're going to hell for not accepting a particular doctrine can be psychological torture. There are some people who really develop phobias and post traumatic stress disorders as results of this.

IMO, loosing one eye (even if no physical pain is felt) is more distressful than having some painful acid thrown on my back for instance.

I think that in some cases (such as with sadistic people who inflict torture for their own pleasure and amusment) an eye for an eye can show them the very basic principle that is the golden rule. If you don't want something to happen to you, then don't inflict it on others. Or at least don't cry about it. (I know a lot of sadistic people and I'm sort of ranting here) :wall:

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1305417868' post='2241578']
Apparently he might only get blinded in one eye, and only after he's unconcious in a hospital ward. More like 'an eye for two eyes'.
[/quote]
to quote an article I read today, because one man is worth two women. :rolleyes:

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1305426013' post='2241627']
to quote an article I read today, because one man is worth two women. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/13/iran-blind-criminal-acid?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487"]Link[/url]

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1305423989' post='2241621']
For instance, trying to get someone to believe that they're going to hell for not accepting a particular doctrine can be psychological torture. There are some people who really develop phobias and post traumatic stress disorders as results of this.[/quote]

This was me as a child.

[quote]IMO, loosing one eye (even if no physical pain is felt) is more distressful than having some painful acid thrown on my back for instance.
[/quote]

In this situation, he spilled acid on her entire face and his punishment is a few drops in one eye.

[quote]I think that in some cases (such as with sadistic people who inflict torture for their own pleasure and amusment) an eye for an eye can show them the very basic principle that is the golden rule. If you don't want something to happen to you, then don't inflict it on others. Or at least don't cry about it. (I know a lot of sadistic people and I'm sort of ranting here) :wall:
[/quote]

I think that you're onto something here.

to quote an article I read today, because one man is worth two women. :rolleyes:[/quote]

This is not true.

[/quote]

That's true. Without a servile class ready to care for the men who keep this country great things would fall apart. A good woman is like a sturdy cow. She may not have much to say worth listening too, but without her the farm would fall apart. :like: :like: :like:

Winchester

Eye for an eye is a limitation. Acid in his face seems to follow that limitation. I'd kill the son of a beesh because he's a danger to society. floopy him.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305427936' post='2241639']
floopy him.
[/quote]

Exactly