An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Dilema

faithcecelia

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1317189933' post='2311489']
in the dominican convent, you eat what is given, there may come a day when the pantry is empty and you get nothing...

oh, and an interesting note: a young lady came to visit the convent one day, and was telling all of us during a talking meal how she avoided such and such foods, etc. (she was a strict vegetarian.) Mother overheard her and told her, "If you want to join this community, you eat what is given." In an instant, she became a carnivore! :hehe2: Such is the desire to follow where God leads you...
[/quote]

That's a good point! I remember when I was living with the Carmelite DCJ Sisters for a few days and I was having trouble eating because of anxiety (not on meds at the time). SrMG (the provincial superior) asked me if I was OK and I tried to explain to her that I was on a diet to lose weight and I was taking Alli. She explained to me that the Sisters don't go on diets. They eat what they are given and everything is in balance so most get healthier anyway. In the mornings (since I usually only ate breakfast with the Sisters), you were supposed to eat cereal or oatmeal and then there was a bowl of fruit on the table that every Sister was to take a piece from. One day, there was coagulated milk and bread, too. I kept trying to eat at every meal and was eating like a bird (not much because of the butterflies in my stomach). It helped me realize that I was not prepared to be a Sister yet and that I needed more time at home before taking such a step.

When I went to visit the CFR Sisters in January 2010, I ate quite a bit. The Sisters are very into eating leftovers and would pull out several Tupperware containers of food that would be reheated on the stove (no microwave) in a skillet or pot. One day for lunch, Sr. Francis told us to please try to eat most of the leftovers, so I put what I thought I would eat on a plate (all cold stuff -- nothing to heat up). I think I emptied about 4 small containers. They had really good food there. I loved eating the mashed potatoes with beef stew on top that we ate for lunch Saturday after serving in the soup kitchen. It was exactly what the visitors to the SK had eaten, so, in a way, you felt one with the poor. I really liked that.

It was funny. There was a girl there who was very thin. She ate like a bird, eating very slowly and mostly talking. It brought back memories of when I was with the Carmelite Sisters. I even remember her talking about her conversation with Sr. Francis when the retreatants were alone for a moment. She said that she didn't feel called there because Sr. Francis asked her why she didn't eat very much. Apparently, she is a picky eater. :blush:

I'm going to try my very best to eat what is given to me when I visit the RSMs in November. Hopefully, they won't have any odd or disgusting things like beef tripe, tongue, liver, etc. That would definitely be penance for me. :hehe:

I am absolutely certain I will lose weight on my month live-in, and when I first enter, because I will not have easy access to sweets!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317191520' post='2311498']
I am absolutely certain I will lose weight on my month live-in, and when I first enter, because I will not have easy access to sweets!
[/quote]

That's always a plus! Sweets are unnecessary anyway. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317191900' post='2311504']

That's always a plus! Sweets are unnecessary anyway. :)
[/quote]

But sooooooooo yum!

And quick energy when sleep is lacking!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317192524' post='2311506']

But sooooooooo yum!

[/quote]

:hehe2:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317192524' post='2311506']

But sooooooooo yum!

[/quote]

Oh yes! Working nightshift & depriving my body of sleep...sweets & coffee seem to be the next thing that my body wants :cake: :coffee: .

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317194504' post='2311511']

Oh yes! Working nightshift & depriving my body of sleep...sweets & coffee seem to be the next thing that my body wants :cake: :coffee: .
[/quote]

Yes, I often take Corin to school dragging him past the sweetshop telling him we do not eat sweets at that time of day, then go in myself on the way back :hehe2: That and/or go and grab a coffee in Thorntons - they use really strange soya milk, but with a double shot of gingerbread syrup it does the job!

Edited by faithcecelia

AccountDeleted

I'm cross posting :lol: On another thread someone talked about an Almond Joy, and I come here and we are talking about chocolate! I had chocolate a plenty in Carmel - it was the Diet Coke I missed :)

And on the liver topic, I used to hate chicken livers, but when I lived with my girlfriend's family for six months, they had it once a week and I was expected to eat it too... never got used to it, but it was good training for eating what was put in front of me!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317197623' post='2311526']
I'm cross posting :lol: On another thread someone talked about an Almond Joy, and I come here and we are talking about chocolate! I had chocolate a plenty in Carmel - it was the Diet Coke I missed :)

And on the liver topic, I used to hate chicken livers, but when I lived with my girlfriend's family for six months, they had it once a week and I was expected to eat it too... never got used to it, but it was good training for eating what was put in front of me!
[/quote]

I was stunned by how much chocolate I got in Carmel too, but yes, fizzy drinks were distinctly lacking. When I had a dental disaster (its own thread :saint: ) my NM and I drove down to my old dentist in Essex to get it sorted, and I was given permission to ask my mother to pop over and see us - took me for coffee, bless her! As she was leaving, she gave us a bag of goodies for our return journey - you have never seen 2 nuns down Pepsi Max at such speed :hehe2: That then resulted in the need for a 'comfort break' and the 2 of us running round Tescos in Ipswich, then NM remembering she needed photos done for a new driving lisence, so faffing getting change for the machine, much fiddling with veil, giggling and then moaning about nose size. Oh, that was a good day! :nun2:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317198393' post='2311541']

I was stunned by how much chocolate I got in Carmel too, but yes, fizzy drinks were distinctly lacking. When I had a dental disaster (its own thread :saint: ) my NM and I drove down to my old dentist in Essex to get it sorted, and I was given permission to ask my mother to pop over and see us - took me for coffee, bless her! As she was leaving, she gave us a bag of goodies for our return journey - you have never seen 2 nuns down Pepsi Max at such speed :hehe2: That then resulted in the need for a 'comfort break' and the 2 of us running round Tescos in Ipswich, then NM remembering she needed photos done for a new driving lisence, so faffing getting change for the machine, much fiddling with veil, giggling and then moaning about nose size. Oh, that was a good day! :nun2:
[/quote]

Ok, you got me thinking that we need a new thread for convent adventures! :lol4:

Beggars cant be choosers. Dont Carmelites, and other Orders, say "our" for everything meaning that nothing is an individual's own possession? It is all a gift form God and so is food. If Carmel is to be on the cross with Christ suffering for love of souls then souls are more important than food.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317151379' post='2311130']
Hmmm. I won't be rushing to try them (tamales) then!
[/quote]

As usual, I'm behind in responding to posts.....

Tamales are wonderful and a staple of the diet in Mexico. If you are ever given a chance to try one, I'd recommend it--at least a taste.

A tamale has a soft, ground corn outercoating. The inside filling can be almost anything, from chicken to fish to pork to beef to beans, etc. In fact, there is a restaurant in a town near me that specializes in tamales. Their best selling tamale is vegetarian, with a pumpkin filling! Although the edible part is soft, ground corn with a filling, it is cooked in an outer coating of corn husk (that you don't eat), so it can be easily cooked over a fire. (Although, nowadays, it is most often baked.)

If I were better at posting images, I'd post a picture.

National cuisines are so interesting! For example, in general, I enjoy British food (thanks to my English grandmother), but I can't imagine eating steak and kidney pie! (In general, I think most people in the U.S. do not eat many organ meats--although, as with anything, there are exceptions.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola