An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Dilema

faithcecelia

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

faithcecelia

I have been vegetarian since age 9 (22 years) and while I was at Quidenham they catered for me. Now I am looking to enter again elsewhere I am really torn between my morals and belief that it is wrong to eat God's creatures, and feeling that I ought to just accept what I am given, especially now I cannot have dairy. What should I do?

• 4 months later...

I voted "eat what you are given" BUT perhaps you will be able to choose to limit the amounts or types of meats. My very limited knowledge of religious life tells me that waste is not appreciated. If your community knows of your vegetarian beliefs maybe they won't try to serve you those things you would prefer not to have. If possible, though, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Just as discretely as you can, pass meat dishes by.

remember.....I've never been a religious sister so my opinion means nothing :smile3: . You'll just need to speak with your superiors and let them (and your morals) be your guide.

blessings, linnie

Mary's Margaret

My understanding is that Carmelites are vegetarian (in union with the poor), but perhaps it's different in the UK or just in those particular houses. Especially since your vegetarianism has been long-standing, I would think you could speak with the Vocations Sister about it before entering. This would be especially prudent since you don't know how your body would react to meat after such a long time. If you will be required to eat meat, it might be good to start introducing it into your diet before you enter so your body will have adjusted - one less thing to deal with once there. I'm assuming the dairy restriction is due to an intolerance so allowances would be made.

Mary's Margaret

Oh, one more thought: The bottom line is always obedience...and not only when we think they're right. Obeying, especially when we disagree, is a cross to be borne with love...and even joy. Would knowing the expectation to eat meat (ie what's put before you) but keeping to your own rules be obedience or a form of attachment? Interesting dilemma.

This is an old one!!

Carmelites traditionally abstain from meat but eat fish. To me, it is as ethically wrong to eat fish as to eat meat. However the conclusion we have come to (should things go to plan here at NH) is that I will eat fish, but they will accept I am having to work at it (why does fish have to taste so fishy?????) and will not be scolded for leaving some. SrMJ also told me that, due to the increasing cost of fish and the problems of overfishing (esp in the UK) that they very occasionally have chicken, and that that is absolutely optional, no sister is obliged to eat it. I have to admit though, that as far as taste goes, I'd take chicken over fish any day!

So we have a hot thread on bathing practices - now comes FOOD ! ! ! ! Our diet is another extremely personal element in our lives and, as with bathing habits, becomes much more significant in the context of religious life (and within RL, even more significant in the cloister where the material elements of daily life are rather more stripped down to the essentials).

In my experience, to "eat what [I] am given" (as I chose above, instead of "staying veggie") was a major hurdle to get over (much, if not most, of the food or its manner of preparation I would [u]never[/u] have chosen of my own accord). But, I had planned from the start to go in without asking for mitigations of any kind to the rule and customs of the house. My thought was (and still is) that if the life was God's will for me then He would give me the grace to live it. His giving the grace does not mean, of course, that He eliminates the struggle and suffering found in the life. Instead, in the struggle and the suffering is great power to draw us away from self and to Him, to sanctify, to "divinize" us so that we become channels of grace for others.

P.S. actually [u]responding[/u] to the grace He gives is, of course, a whole other pot of stew...um, kettle of fish...mess of greens...oh whatever! :smile4:

I am not a principal vegetarian just because I'm lazy to buy meat, I like more vegatables, fish and vegetarian meat substitute products.. :hehe2: Unfortunately I can not eat pork because I'm allergic, what I discovered when I was a postulant in the active order. They eat almost every day pork exept friday's and ash wednesday.

I think dietary restrictions due to health reasons are different than choosing what to eat. In the two convents that I entered I didn't have any problems with the fact that I could not eat fish (I'm allergic to most fish). I was given an alternate -- and it became an interesting point of conversation because some would prefer to eat what I had, and I would prefer to eat the fish!!! (I like fish).

As far as eating what is given ... that takes some getting used to. But most communities seem to do this I think. I've mentioned some of the more interesting things I've eaten in community ... cow brain, tripe, some sort of animal that I think was rodent like (but I have no clue what it was -- nor do I care to know).

One thing I will say for sure -- if you do have a diet restriction please speak up with the community ahead of time. In my second postulancy experience, a woman entered (who was a great young lady). She did not tell the community about her health issues. She ate what was given, and got sick. Sick enough to land in the hospital with a problem with her liver. She ended up having to return home due to the health issues -- that maybe, just maybe would have been mitigated if the community had known about the problems ahead of time.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1317132389' post='2310969']
I think dietary restrictions due to health reasons are different than choosing what to eat. In the two convents that I entered I didn't have any problems with the fact that I could not eat fish (I'm allergic to most fish). I was given an alternate -- and it became an interesting point of conversation because some would prefer to eat what I had, and I would prefer to eat the fish!!! (I like fish).

As far as eating what is given ... that takes some getting used to. But most communities seem to do this I think. I've mentioned some of the more interesting things I've eaten in community ... cow brain, tripe, some sort of animal that I think was rodent like (but I have no clue what it was -- nor do I care to know).

One thing I will say for sure -- if you do have a diet restriction please speak up with the community ahead of time. In my second postulancy experience, a woman entered (who was a great young lady). She did not tell the community about her health issues. She ate what was given, and got sick. Sick enough to land in the hospital with a problem with her liver. She ended up having to return home due to the health issues -- that maybe, just maybe would have been mitigated if the community had known about the problems ahead of time.
[/quote]

You've right, the nm of my future community knows about my allergic of pork. They don't eat that always and if they will eat them, I've the choise to eat or not, so there'll be no problem.

Edited by Rocamadour

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1317136332' post='2310996']What does this have to do with Vocations?[/quote]

From the original post: Faith was asking (a couple months back) about the fact that she typically doesn't eat meat; carmelites don't either, but they do eat fish. She wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts about talking to communities she was in discernment with about it; whether she should just accept it and try to eat fish or ask for an exemption.

TeresaBenedicta

Funny- I'm currently eating leftover "sardine" tamales for lunch. I can't stand fish. But, I find it a nice opportunity for an act of penance. I offer it up for a priest friend of mine each time I have to eat fish.

Some of the sisters have special diets, and so they have special meals at times. I think the general attitude is "eat what you're given," but if there's a major problem (like gag reflexes that can't be helped!), you don't have to eat it.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1317140784' post='2311032']
Ah! My second tamale is made with chicken! Thank you Jesus!

Hehe...
[/quote]

I just googled tamale, and I'm still none the wiser :blush: :hehe:

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317143964' post='2311058']

I just googled tamale, and I'm still none the wiser :blush: :hehe:
[/quote]

Faith,

It's some weird corn thing. One thing: No me gusta, No me gusta at all.