stevil

AudreyGrace

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1304880674' post='2238757']
This poll also proves men are smarter than womenfolk :whistle:
[/quote]

Well DUH.
:cake: ,?

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1304866727' post='2238709']
a basic knowledge of other religions beliefs is good. although for me once i found out what the basics beliefs of hinduism,buddism,islam were about, i didn't bother learning more since they are the wrong religion.
[/quote]

For me, I feel it is important to understand other people of the world and respect them.
Respect and tolerance is a good thing, we can't simply walk around avoiding people who are different.

MissScripture

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1304882188' post='2238767']
For me, I feel it is important to understand other people of the world and respect them.
Respect and tolerance is a good thing, we can't simply walk around avoiding people who are different.
[/quote]
Well you could...you just would live kind of an empty life, since everyone is different in some way. :hehe:

havok579257

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1304882188' post='2238767']
[/quote]

i can respect a person who is islamic without studying in depth their religion. just because i know the persons religion is wrong does not mean i don't respect them as a person.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='philothea' timestamp='1304835686' post='2238641']
I don't know... I think it's important to at least consider the basis of other religious beliefs. Do you actually [i]believe[/i] in your own religion if the only reason you follow it is that you have never known anything else?
[/quote]

I agree, a very long time ago when I was a freshman in college I took a course called " Religions East and West", we hada women come speak who was hindu, this women had been raised a Christian and converted to Hinduism, anyway a student asked her about the Hindu concept of the 5 forms of god vs the Christian concept of the Trinity.... She sould not answer becuase she did not know what the Trinity was. She had been a Christian for 22 years of her life and did not know about the Trinity! When I asked her why she would have converted to another relgion without knowing anything about the one she had been raised in, I got a vague answer about not finding it fulfilling. ( plus a nasty look from my professor).

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1304954031' post='2239072']( plus a nasty look from my professor).[/quote]
lol.

MagiDragon

15/15 Although I'm not sure if I'd have gotten more than 12 if I had to fill in the blank.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1304954031' post='2239072']
When I asked her why she would have converted to another relgion without knowing anything about the one she had been raised in, I got a vague answer about not finding it fulfilling. ( plus a nasty look from my professor).
[/quote]

:clapping:
That's hilarious.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Catholics did as well as they did on the Bible . . . unless there wasn't any chapter/verse stuff in there. I can tell you that most of my fellow students at the Catholic schools I went to for 12 years would have no idea about most religious stuff. There was definitely more Gaia preaching going on and it was more heartfelt than anything the teachers did on Christianity.

Peace,
Joe

cooterhein

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1304738455' post='2238275']
I'm new to this forum, this doesn't really seem the right place to post this as its not really a debate, but I noticed a similar type of topic with regards to respective IQs. Sorry if it has already been posted on this forum, I did a search but couldn't find it. It was a bit of an eye opener to me, read into it what you will, I'm just posting because I thought it was surprising.[/quote]I'm not surprised at all about atheists doing so well on world religions. They need really good reasons to decline invitations to any religious group; they don't have the luxury of taking the easy way out. And by "the easy way," I mean the oft-used comparison to counterfeit money. If you just get really familiar with your own faith, you don't really have to know the details about the other ones- you easily recognize a counterfeit because you know the "genuine article" so well. It's a decent analogy, but if you put it into practice, an unfortunate side effect is that you won't score very well on quizzes concerning world religions.

I'm not all that surprised about the difference between Evangelicals and Catholics, either- or the difference between "message board" Catholics and Catholics on the whole, for that matter. A ton of Catholics are non-practicing Catholics, or perhaps they're Catholic only in the sense that they were baptized Catholic as a baby. Evangelicals generally aren't called Evangelicals unless they're actually practicing to some degree, so that probably brings their overall numbers down some by comparison, but they're quality numbers where everyone in the group is practicing and everyone who's practicing is in the group. As for the difference between forum Catholics and Catholics at large, non-practicing Catholics don't care enough about religion to spend any time on it in real life, so why would they create an avatar that acts like it cares online.

I'm not sure if this is a silly suggestion but based on the following from the report on the survey
[quote]
More than four-in-ten Catholics in the United States (45%) do not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion do not merely symbolize but actually become the body and blood of Christ.
[/quote]
Couldn't this be proven by testing the contents of several people's stomachs after Eucharist. If the results showed the same DNA then that would be JC's DNA. Game, set and match!

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1305110194' post='2240013']
I'm not sure if this is a silly suggestion but based on the following from the report on the survey

Couldn't this be proven by testing the contents of several people's stomachs after Eucharist. If the results showed the same DNA then that would be JC's DNA. Game, set and match!
[/quote]

Here is a link about a famous Eucharistic miracle: [url="http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html"]http://www.therealpr...r/lanciano.html[/url]

*edit: more stuff

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_miracle"]http://en.wikipedia....aristic_miracle[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation"]http://en.wikipedia....nsubstantiation[/url]

Edited by Amppax

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1305110194' post='2240013']

[/quote]
Under our beliefs, generally no, with the exception of miraculous cases. We consider the physical "accidents" (the philosophical term) to remain unchanged in a normal scenario. The DNA or lack thereof would be one of those physical accidents, so it would test to be normal bread or wine.