An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Were The First Nuns?

FutureSister2009

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1304611710' post='2237523']
I think too deeply sometimes but I just thought of this this morning. We all know the Apostles were the first Priests but who were the first Nuns and Sisters? Is there any written record of that? I'm just curious to see if anyone knows.

[/quote]

The Benedictine monasteries went on to make considerable contributions not only to the monastic and the spiritual life of the West, but also to economics, education, and government, so that the years from 550 to 1150 may be called the "Benedictine centuries".

As the idea of devoting one's entire life to God grew, more and more monks joined him, even in the far desert. Under St. Anthony's system, they each lived in isolation. Later, loose-knit communities began to be formed, coming together only on Sundays and major feast days for Holy Communion. The concept of monks all living together under one roof and under the rule of a single person — that is, monasticism as such — is attributed to [url="/wiki/St_Pachomius"][color="#0645ad"]St Pachomius[/color][/url] (c. 292-348). At this same time, St. Pachomius' sister became the first woman to lead a monastery of women, or [url="/wiki/Convent"][color="#0645ad"]convent[/color][/url]. Christian monasticism spread throughout the Eastern Roman Empire. At its height it was not uncommon for monasteries to house upwards of 30,000 monks.

Hope this helps. It is atleast a start.

Ephrem Augustine

I heard that this grew out of the idea of having communities of widows and consecrated virgins grouped together, and becoming more formalized.