An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Run To St. Louis

Lisa

A few girls and I are putting together a 3-day nun run to St. Louis. I value your amesome knowledge of communities/orders here of Phatmass.

So, where would you go?

Rules: can't be too far from St. Louis (so no Valparaiso Carmel... sad day).

But can be between Lafayette, IN and St. Louis (a stop there or on the way back)

Want a mixture of active, active/contemplatives, and cloistered/contemplative sisters.

[b]For sure on the list: [size="5"][color="#ff00ff"] PINK SISTEEEEERRSSSSSSSS!!!!! [/color][/size]a.k.a Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters
[/b]

1. Alton Franciscans (Franciscans of St. George the Marytr, in Alton, IL) - active
2. Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus - active/contemplative
3. Carmelites - contemplative
4. Passionists - contemplative
5. Religious of the Good Shepherd - contemplative monastery, and a separate but active branch
6. Redemptoristine - contemplative
7. Poor Clares - contemplative, one in St. Louis & one in Belleville, IL
8. Visitation - contemplative/active
9. Religious Sisters of Mercy, Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul, Congregation of St. Joseph of Carondelet - active

Benedictines in Ferdinand, IN; Dominicans in Springfield, IL

abrideofChrist

I was planning a 7 day nun run to St. Louis and had to cancel it. But it included a half day at the Cathedral on June 2, 2011 where Archbishop Carlson will be conferring the Solemn Consecration upon a virgin in the Cathedral, which is the only ceremony a consecrated virgin has for her vocation. You may want to consider that as a good way of expanding your nun run to let the young women see the oldest form of consecrated life. Also, I had planned a short visit to some Secular Institutes and a Rome based Association of the Faithful that wishes to become a Society of Apostolic Life for variety.

MargaretTeresa

When will it be? I'd be interested in meeting up with y'all at the cathedral if it's feasible with my schedule. I live about two and half hours south of there and I want to make a quick run up to StL at some point.

Don't forget the Daughters of St. Paul have a bookstore there! Yes, I know they're sisters, but it is where the postulants do their time. I hope to get up there to visit them as well this summer. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1304436487' post='2236338']
Meet me in St Louis, Louis, meet me at the

.... convent????
[/quote]

HEHEHEHEHE! I love that musical! My high school did it my freshman year. So fun!

Wait - freshman year.... six years ago...

I FEEL OLD :cry3:

Here's the address for the Poor Clares in St. Louis: http://www.franciscanconnection.org/involve/PoorClares.htm
Monastery of St. Clare
200 Marycrest Drive
St. Louis, MO 63129

Carmel of St. Joseph: (Discalced Carmelites)

9150 Clayton Road, St Louis, MO 63124-1898
(314) 993-6899
http://www.meditationsfromcarmel.com/gallery/index.html

Either one would probably be good examples of 'contemplative' for your nun run :)

OnlySunshine

Definitely the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus! They are an amesome order!

10341 Manchester Road -- Kirkwood, Missouri 63122 -- 314-965-7616 (Kirkwood is a suburb of St. Louis)

Little Sisters of the Poor
[url="http://www.littlesistersofthepoorstlouis.org/"]St. Louis Residence[/url]
3225 N. Florissant Avenue
Saint Louis, Missouri
63107-3521
(314)421-6022

[url="http://www.visitationmonastery.org/"]Monastery of the Visitation[/url]
3020 North Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131

abrideofChrist

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1304435764' post='2236334']
When will it be? I'd be interested in meeting up with y'all at the cathedral if it's feasible with my schedule. I live about two and half hours south of there and I want to make a quick run up to StL at some point.

Don't forget the Daughters of St. Paul have a bookstore there! Yes, I know they're sisters, but it is where the postulants do their time. I hope to get up there to visit them as well this summer. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]
[/quote]

If you're asking when the consecration will take place, it is 10:00 AM on June 2, 2011 at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='abrideofChrist' timestamp='1304440739' post='2236365']
If you're asking when the consecration will take place, it is 10:00 AM on June 2, 2011 at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.
[/quote]

Thanks, lol.

To clarify, when will the Nun Run be?

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1304442290' post='2236378']
Thanks, lol.

To clarify, when will the Nun Run be?
[/quote]

Our nun run is probably going to be the 3 days over Labor Day weekend (yes, I'm planning ahead a lot), so Sept. 2-5 :)

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1304448166' post='2236422']
Our nun run is probably going to be the 3 days over Labor Day weekend (yes, I'm planning ahead a lot), so Sept. 2-5 :)
[/quote]

Dang. I will be back in Mississippi. :pout:

Santa Cruz

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1304431806' post='2236309']
A few girls and I are putting together a 3-day nun run to St. Louis. I value your amesome knowledge of communities/orders here of Phatmass.

So, where would you go?

Rules: can't be too far from St. Louis (so no Valparaiso Carmel... sad day).

But can be between Lafayette, IN and St. Louis (a stop there or on the way back)

Want a mixture of active, active/contemplatives, and cloistered/contemplative sisters.

[b]For sure on the list: [size="5"][color="#ff00ff"] PINK SISTEEEEERRSSSSSSSS!!!!! [/color][/size]a.k.a Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters
[/b]
[/quote]

How great! I will pray for you all!

We are fortunate to have so many religious communities in St. Louis! I can't think of another one to add to what's already been mentioned. The public chapel of the Carmelites is one of the most beautiful in town, so don't miss it. :saint: