An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religiosity And Intellgence Quotiants

Mr.Cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304394703' post='2236199']I read somewhere that Jean Marie Vianney was of rather lower intellectual ability such that he had to try a few times to get into seminary.
However, I only read that once and I honestly cannot be bothered to find out of it's true.[/quote]It is true... his father initially disapproved, told him he was good with his hands, not with his mind. But his mother pushed him through. He had to go back to a pre-seminary full of children and be mocked. In seminary he was mocked. There was an outcry when he was ordained. He was appointed to his position in Ares where Catholicism was all but dead there, wondering what harm could do there. But to those who opposed him, even this was too much, they petitioned the bishop to reconsider. When Jean Marie Vianney found the petition, by accident apparently, he signed it and sent it to the bishop himself.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1304395559' post='2236208']
It is true... his father initially disapproved, told him he was good with his hands, not with his mind. But his mother pushed him through. He had to go back to a pre-seminary full of children and be mocked. In seminary he was mocked. There was an outcry when he was ordained. He was appointed to his position in Ares where Catholicism was all but dead there, wondering what harm could do there. But to those who opposed him, even this was too much, they petitioned the bishop to reconsider. When Jean Marie Vianney found the petition, by accident apparently, he signed it and sent it to the bishop himself.
[/quote]
amesome stuff! do you have a book on him?

i think it was St. Jean Vianney that also said (something to the effect of): "You know what God did with a jawbone of an arse, just imagine what he could do with a whole arse!" (referring to himself) lol.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304395678' post='2236211']Yet his great love outshone by far his intellectual faculties.[/quote]As the stories go, by his first sermon, people were chuckling to themselves. It took him a while to start doing it "his way", which apparently he thought he made a fool of himself, but he had in fact brought a tear to everyone in the place.

To clarify the goals-interpretations of various tests:

IQ is supposed to measure intelligence; I define intelligence as 'ability to learn.' There's been a hot debate for a long time as to whether the IQ test is culturally biased toward, say, upper class European-Americans - personally, I think it is, but Id on't have any hard evidence to support my theory.

ACT & SAT are not supposed to measure intelligence - their goal is to measure academic knowledge, as a predictor of success in college. There are lots of other kinds of knowledge (car repair, Morse code, how to harvest soybeans) which they don't even try to measure, because they wouldn't predict success in college.

Maximilianus

I were so smart that I got into college without taking the SAT or the ACT...and I took an IQ test on the internets and it said I were a genius.

Sternhauser

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304394703' post='2236199']
I read somewhere that Jean Marie Vianney was of rather lower intellectual ability such that he had to try a few times to get into seminary.
However, I only read that once and I honestly cannot be bothered to find out of it's true.
[/quote]

It is true. The only reason he passed his Latin exam was because it was a passage he had memorized. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1304383292' post='2236030']
You hate touting it so much that you sliped it unnecessairly into the conversation!
[/quote]
I'll slipe you upside the head, boy.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1304383875' post='2236036']
Interestingly, I don't care about your opinionated libertarian hero who writes on whatever whim he had in mind. But I find the terminology of "working class", a bit confusing when put against "middle class".

Interestingly, there were multiple sources cited and that statement you quoted itself came from my doctor of sociology, so I would have to ask her where it came from specifically.

But, I doubt you read the article or topic I posted... or the reference to an entire book... So if I don't read your one source and man, I hope you forgive me.
[/quote]
Dr. Murray was comparing those in the economic/educational upper 20% of the population ("upper middle class") with the bottom 30% ("working class").
Those in the upper 20% are, among other things, significantly more likely to be involved in religious activity than those in the the bottom 30%.

Just in case anybody is interested, I found a video of the Dr. Murray lecture in discussion (in anticipation of his upcoming book). Interesting stuff. He discusses his terms, findings, and ideas in more depth. While it's only one small part of the speech, if you're interested in the part about religiosity and socio-economic status, start playing around 24 minutes. While Dr. Murray is himself an agnostic, he ties religiosity to greater prosperity and social capital, and believes it essential to a healthy civilization.

[media]http://www.aei.org/video/101414[/media]

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1304384120' post='2236039']
Socrates doesn't have libertarian heroes.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
Libertarian heroes have Socrates.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1304459655' post='2236527']
I'll slipe you upside the head, boy.
[/quote]

Just avoid the mouth. I need my mouth to make money. It's not exactly secure employment and some people look down on it, but it's what I can do.

I think everyone understands what I need my mouth for and what I do but just to be clear

[size="7"][color="#9932cc"]I'M A SINGER!!!

[img]http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/flamboyant-singer.jpg[/img][/color][/size]

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1304460826' post='2236538']
Just avoid the mouth. I need my mouth to make money. It's not exactly secure employment and some people look down on it, but it's what I can do.

I think everyone understands what I need my mouth for and what I do but just to be clear

[size="7"][color="#9932cc"]I'M A SINGER!!!

[img]http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/flamboyant-singer.jpg[/img][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Lol, thought you were going to say lawyer.... well at least you make an honest living rotfl!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1304464790' post='2236587']
Kolbe won this on the first page. Why isn't it locked?
[/quote]
truth.