Amppax

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1304325331' post='2235694']
Yeah!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMJtA8vfpw[/media]
[/quote]

LOL.

The one guy is like, "I'm not even trying this"

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304312916' post='2235645']
Facing, yes. The pickguard is on the lefty side though.
[/quote]

My point exactly :)

Well I'm a lefty, but I can't play the guitar lefty, i don't know how people do that, it seems like it makes playing a lot harder it.

Edited by Amppax

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304310531' post='2235619']
Geez at least use a right handed guitar not a left one ....
[/quote]
Didn't you know Christ is amphibious?

What I want to do every time I hear a guitar in Mass.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR6d08L3nc[/media]

AudreyGrace

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304348832' post='2235759']
[/quote]

Ambidextrous.
Jesus was not a frog, nor did he lay eggs
:lol:

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1304350598' post='2235770']
Ambidextrous.
[/quote]

Word ... besides He would have had the guitar the right way. Definitely. :)

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1304325331' post='2235694']
Yeah!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMJtA8vfpw[/media]
[/quote]
"Hey Ya! (with one soprano singing the major third and being completely oblivious)"
"Waooaaoaaaoaah"

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1304350598' post='2235770']
Ambidextrous.
[/quote]
One of the most famous sports quote in history is this,

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." – Charles Shackleford[NC State Univ]

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1304311524' post='2235628']
THIS. 100% this.

The thing is REVERENCE. If the music can be played reverently, keep the focus on the Mass, and get the people involved in singing prayer, then use whatever instruments you deem fit. In my parish, Latin chant and organ is not a reality. I would love to hear it every once in a while, but it wouldn't match our community and we do not have the resources to hire a good organist or train a choir.

There's a stigma that comes with guitars and drums that causes people to immediately think of rock n roll, which is highly irreverent and not appropriate for Mass. However, they choose to forget that guitars and drums can be played in absolutely beautiful ways.

David sang and danced in the temple. Remember that. :hehe:
[/quote]
;)

I am burned out on this, but here are my stream of conscious thoughts to bring about an end to my discussion because I have to focus on other stuff:

Reverence is based on spiritual love of God, neighbor, self. For a Catholic it is a loving awe and fear of God, not emotional fear. And it is different than secular reverence. It is childlike. A Catholic who lives a moral life, accepts all the teachings of Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium, prays, denies himself, does works of mercy, and so on is reverent in spite of what outward forms or expression and gestures he performs. His inherent reverence informs these outward his music and gestures, and he can create new reverent forms in new circumstances. Reverence can take on many different musical forms and gestures at the Mass. So I posted that Litany of the Saints which I, a simple and humble Catholic living in the 21st Century, think is very reverent, whereas maybe a Catholic living in the 10th Century would not find it a fitting musical form for his worship.

Jesus was reverent in all that he said and did, everything He said and did was a Divine Revelation. When one reads the Gospels at the Last Supper, the discourses he gave were extremely loving, gentle, meek, exalted, solemn, majestic. But he wasnt taken over with emotional fear. He wasnt instilling a rigid fear into the disciples. The Mass is a Love-Feast. It is a supper of light hearts and lovelit eyes. Our God is a God of Joy. He is Dynamic, Fresh, Light, Beautiful.

Reverence is not static. It can take on many different forms and gestures in different people of different places and times even within a tradition and even in the same era. My expression of reverence for God is a little different than the Pope's which is a little different than a man living in Africa and so on. Outward forms, expressions and gestures are not absolute in and of themselves. One is not inherently better than another. Mary was very reverent at the Death of Jesus on the Cross and she was standing:

{19:26} Therefore, when Jesus had seen his mother and the disciple whom he loved [b]standing near[/b], he said to his mother, “Woman, behold your son.”

There is such a thing as rustic solemnity and reverence. The reverence of a rustic man a little different than the reverence of a high and cultured man.

Church culture is not static, absolute, stagnant, etc.. Human persons living in the Church imitate God by creating new things. Things spring forth from things. So the musical forms are developing and changing over time. The temporal authority of the Church guides the development by establishing rules because human persons are fallen and sinful, we need guidance so we do not become irreverent. So we have rules and we have a bishop and a priest leading a diocese and a parish overseeing the liturgical music. A bishop and a priest is fallen too, so maybe they make bad decisions from time to time and that is on them. But the point is that the rules, and rulings set up by the Church's temporal authority are not to be pharisaically observed, this goes against the way Jesus is, the Church is, and God is with creation. And one should never, never be overly and inordinately attached to one's own Church culture or human culture, since these will be destroyed in the consummation event and transfigured in the future world-age of the New Heaven and New Earth. One should simply use it and take it for what it is. Love it ordinately.

And the rules and the rulings guiding musical forms are not teachings of faith and morals and salvations anyway. They are not of the Magisterium, the spiritual authority of the Church.

Some people seem to think that the temporal authority of the Church can establish a mere rule or set of rules for music which absolutely governs every moment in space and time. This is an absurd and static and reprehensible view of Church life. A rule cannot govern how a whole race of Catholics spread out over a whole world-age is to express their reverence for God in the form of music. Did the German priest who wrote "Silent Night" wait for competant authority to govern his decision to write and use that hymn for Christmas Eve? Will the Catholics living two hundred years from now in a rapidly changing world use the exact same music at Mass as we use? Should we expect them too?

So when all is said and done, I think we should be reasonable in regards to liturgical music.

Well these are some of my stream of conscious thoughts from this morning.

Edited by kafka

AudreyGrace

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304356932' post='2235813']
One of the most famous sports quote in history is this,

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." – Charles Shackleford[NC State Univ]

[/quote]

Aaaaand your point is? Lol. Quoting college basketball players is not the greatest source for anything intelligence related. :harhar:

[/quote]

ambidexterous? or did you mean that he had gills?

[/quote]

ambidexterous?