An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music Debate

Amppax

[quote name='kafka' timestamp='1304297948' post='2235497']
my favorite non-chant, irreverant and heretical litany of the saints accompanied by the secular piano:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1_3tGr2gm4&feature=related[/media]

actually I've always been a big fan of the Old Chant litany of saints, but once I heard and sung this one, I knew it was an extraordinary piece of modern liturgical music with a deep spirit of humility, love, and prayerfulness. I really like it.
[/quote]

I got your original post this time - I've never heard it before, but I like it.

philothea

With apologies for being somewhat on topic...

One thing I found interesting in the Vatican II documents about music at mass, was that the authors were very interested in getting people involved. The musical choices and arrangements are supposed to be tailored (within reason) to the congregation, so that everyone can sing along. Apparently numerous popes had tried to get the laity to learn and chant the Latin mass responses, but it never caught on; people were too used to being a passive audience.

TeresaBenedicta

I have no real strong opinion on this topic... but, for what it's worth... the [url="http://iveamerica.org"]Institute of the Incarnate Word[/url] uses chant & Latin & polyphony in all of their liturgies. And they were founded in Argentina and have a very prominent Hispanic culture. Guitars are often found... outside of sacred liturgy. They know how to party with good music. They know how to celebrate sacred liturgy with good music.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304292267' post='2235463']
The two just don't go together.

[img]http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Brock/guitar_jesus.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Geez at least use a right handed guitar not a left one ....

[quote name='philothea' timestamp='1304309322' post='2235603']
The musical choices and arrangements are supposed to be tailored (within reason) to the congregation, so that everyone can sing along.
[/quote]

You just made me laugh ... I've been at too many english language Masses where the hymn is not singable by anyone who isn't a high sorprano or tenor.

philothea

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304310689' post='2235621']
You just made me laugh ... I've been at too many english language Masses where the hymn is not singable by anyone who isn't a high sorprano or tenor.
[/quote]
I know! :rolleyes:

The US national anthem is un-singable by normal people in its original range too. What is with Americans?

AudreyGrace

[quote name='kafka' timestamp='1304296084' post='2235487']
I heard drums being used in the music of Pope Benedict's procession into Saint Peters for the beatification. Apparently the Latins are offending their own Church culture in the Basilica these days.
[/quote]

THIS. 100% this.

The thing is REVERENCE. If the music can be played reverently, keep the focus on the Mass, and get the people involved in singing prayer, then use whatever instruments you deem fit. In my parish, Latin chant and organ is not a reality. I would love to hear it every once in a while, but it wouldn't match our community and we do not have the resources to hire a good organist or train a choir.

There's a stigma that comes with guitars and drums that causes people to immediately think of rock n roll, which is highly irreverent and not appropriate for Mass. However, they choose to forget that guitars and drums can be played in absolutely beautiful ways.

David sang and danced in the temple. Remember that. :hehe:

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304310689' post='2235621']
[/quote]
tell me about it <_<

Vincent Vega

We need good, modern, orthodox hymn writers. A modern-day Catholic Wesley. I've felt this way for a long time.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304310531' post='2235619']
Geez at least use a right handed guitar not a left one ....
[/quote]
That's facing in the correct direction for a right handed person. I didn't know Jesus was a lefty.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304312705' post='2235640']
That's facing in the correct direction for a right handed person. I didn't know Jesus was a lefty.
[/quote]
Facing, yes. The pickguard is on the lefty side though.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304312916' post='2235645']
Facing, yes. The pickguard is on the lefty side though.
[/quote]
Ahh, very clever. I guess Jesus prefers the upstroke.

Vincent Vega

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFJv-kmaCc&feature=player_embedded

Via one Mr. Billy Bass, Esq.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Laudate_Dominum

As the emissary of Billy Bass I am authorized to reveal that the fish actually obtained that video from none other than Aloysius.

Maximilianus

Yeah!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMJtA8vfpw[/media]

Edited by Maximilianus