An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Much Do You Own In Way Of Clothing?

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

I've always owned way too much when it comes to clothes... although not necessarily in the same way that someone who is super into fashion owns clothes (I'm definitely [i]not[/i] huge into fashion). I just have a hard time getting rid of clothes. I have a lot of t-shirts that have sentimental value (from softball tournaments, events, college, etc). And then I have "cute" clothes which my mom has bought me through the years (and I feel guilty getting rid of things that [i]I[/i] didn't buy). Then there's stuff that [i]could[/i] still be worn.

Anyways, I recognize now that it's at a point where I most certainly need to go through and get rid of stuff. My mom's not here this week, so I won't feel guilty getting rid of things I didn't buy (she'll never see what I get rid of and she won't remember to ask about it). I'm even going to push myself with my ridiculous attachment to t-shirts and sweat-shirts (why do they have to be attached to memories! grr!). But what I'm wondering... [b]How much do you own in clothing? What is a prudent amount of clothes to keep? (A week's worth, two week's worth, a month?)[/b]

I'm also trying to keep in mind that I will be entering either this summer or next (depending how quickly I get rid of the rest of my debt) so a good clean-out is in order. I don't plan on doing the whole-shebang quite yet... but I think getting myself even to 'adult' level when it comes to possessions would be good. I mean, I still have toy-boxes, stuffed animals, etc in my room. It's ridiculous. Some of the toys and animals will likely stay, since my room will be turned into the kids' (two nephews and a niece, all under 6) room when they stay here. But there's a lot that needs to go.

Clothes is my first major project, though. I'm doing a ton of laundry and as I go through it, I'm taking out what I don't need to give to Good Will. Just gotta figure out how much to keep and how much to get rid of.

MargaretTeresa

I have a lot of clothes. Some are fat clothes and some are skinny clothes. This summer is the summer of extreme weight loss so I'm not getting rid of anything yet

OnlySunshine

I don't have much in the way of clothes, in fact, I could do with a whole wardrobe change since my weight has fluctuated quite a bit. I still have scrubs from when I was working at the nursing home a year ago, which I don't need and I am thinking about getting rid of. But as far as the amount I have, I think it's pretty reasonable. I don't go splurging on shopping trips, even when I am working, so I'm not worried about it. ;)

After reading several books on Fatima and being incredibly moved by little Jacinta Marto's amazing ascetism, I felt like I needed to engage in extra penance. So I started trying to read up on this whole penance thing -- and found the confraternity of pennitents (pennitents.org) who engage in some mild forms of daily mortification like not wearing personal fragrance of any kind, skipping all personal jewelry aside from a cross or crucifix worn prominently and not wearing prints or colors. I thought these were some great ideas because they're acts of self-denial which are (mostly) not noticeable.

When I got rid of all my prints and most of my colored clothing, slowly rebuilding my wardrobe from finds at the local thrift store, I discovered that my wardrobe improved. Fashion-wise I am pretty much tone-deaf, so the whole wardrobe-mortification thing meant that I was no longer able to put together outfits that clashed, which was a bonus.

The only downside is that, since I pretty much exclusively wear skirts outside of work, people started assuming that I was a sister. I couldn't figure out why for the longest time, until someone who'd asked pointed out that I was plainly dressed. That was a light-bulb moment. So now I wear a few discreet non-nun looking items, like shoes with low heels.

Quantity-wise, I have about 6 skirts, (2 dressy, 4 casual) 4 oxford shirts, 4 sweaters, 4 cardigans, 6 t-shirts in black and brown, 6 pairs of tights/stockings, 2 pairs of flats and 1 pair of boots, 2 pairs of work shoes, 10 pairs of work trousers and 10 work shirts. For right now that feels like the right balance between not having too many possessions and not scandalizing the people at my parish by wearing the same outfit every Sunday for a month!

Edited by JenDeMaria

AccountDeleted

I think it's probably a good idea to be practical about this. Having been in several convents around the world, I basically had to get down to a couple of suitcases and keep the weight of items low as well (that's hard to give up books!). I did store a box of photos with my brother, but I wish I had stored more things that I could use now since I am down to two black skirts, two pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts and a few white blouses. This is fine for Mass or daily life, but it makes it hard to go anywhere else without looking like a visitor from another planet (or a nun - and I don't want to mislead anyone that I am anything 'official'). I have had to go to a few interviews and wished I had something better to wear but can't afford new clothes right now.

I would say that if you have a lot of clothes already, just be practical about what you throw away since they cost money to replace if you find you need to do that. Even when you enter, perhaps it would be good to store some of your things for a couple of years. This isn't to put a jinx on your vocation, but just to be a little sensible, at least until you have your First Profession.

I had some serious issues in the past with buying clothes. I'm talking about custom Armani suits, and handmade Italian shoes. Serious money and vanity. I purposely limit my clothing now because of it. I make my own pantaloons. I have maybe a dozen, half black, half dark blue. When I get a good deal on fabric, I buy the entire bolt which makes 5-6 pairs. I don't make more until those are completely worn out. What's funny is some people think I only have two pairs since all my pantaloons look alike. I buy all my shirts second hand. Golf shirts in summer, and sweatshirts in winter. I have two pant suits, one grey for winter, and one beige for summer. I wear gore-tex running shoes in winter, and regular sneakers in summer. I get a new pair every 3-6 months. It's the one thing I buy retail, and that is because I am susceptible to plantar faciitis.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1304044631' post='2234435']
I think it's probably a good idea to be practical about this. Having been in several convents around the world, I basically had to get down to a couple of suitcases and keep the weight of items low as well (that's hard to give up books!). I did store a box of photos with my brother, but I wish I had stored more things that I could use now since I am down to two black skirts, two pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts and a few white blouses. This is fine for Mass or daily life, but it makes it hard to go anywhere else without looking like a visitor from another planet (or a nun - and I don't want to mislead anyone that I am anything 'official'). I have had to go to a few interviews and wished I had something better to wear but can't afford new clothes right now.

I would say that if you have a lot of clothes already, just be practical about what you throw away since they cost money to replace if you find you need to do that. Even when you enter, perhaps it would be good to store some of your things for a couple of years. This isn't to put a jinx on your vocation, but just to be a little sensible, at least until you have your First Profession.
[/quote]

Those are some good points. I'm definitely not going down to the [i]entering-the-convent[/i] level of possessions. I'm still working and I don't know the time-line before I actually enter. And even when I do enter, I don't think I'm going to get rid of 'everything', but like you suggest, store away some stuff. That, to me, seems sensible more than anything. The first few years of religious life [i]is[/i] continued discernment, after all.

I just struggle with knowing what is an appropriate amount of clothing in general, I guess. I think I'd like to see myself at just less than that amount. Not completely limited, but not at "average", either.

franciscanheart

Consider donating the clothes to a local shelter instead. :) GoodWill is usually a great option but if you can give them to an organization who will ALSO give them (instead of taking money, however little), you do a much better deed for those in need. :)

MargaretTeresa

I have to smile because when (if) I join a religious groups (FSP hopefully), I won't have to worry about it. So those clothes are getting donated, yard saled, or given away. The other possessions I have (ahem-a load of books) will pry be kept by my momma.

Aiya.

BarbTherese

Most all my clothes come from second hand clothing shops. I have a good pair of black slacks and two blouses to go with them for special occasions. I have a good black coat and poncho for the winter. One raincoat. I have about four pair of jeans and numerous winter and summer tops to go with the jeans. One pair black sandals, one pair black good shoes, one pair black winter boots. I always wear a wide banded silver ring on my wedding finger and a silver cross with a black plain cross embedded in it worn on a leather thong around my neck. I always wear it even if out on a special occasion in special occasion 'outfits'.
I did have for a few years a denim tunic I made with skivvy underneath for the winter. But I found after numerous washes that the dart at the breastline frayed badly and decided it was not servicable in the long run and hence decided that jeans would be more serviceable and long wearing. My last three pair jeans were seconds and only cost me $5 each.
I have a pattern coming for a loose three quarterlength top which I plan to have made (or make myself) which can double as a summer top and a winter one with a black or navy skivvy under it - as my current summer and winter tops are wearing very thin and a pattern and picking a suitable material long wearing, washable and servicable for needs should cut back on concerns about clothing ad infinitum for normal everyday wear. I need only buy material and make up the pattern or have it made up. I am under private vows.
Since I hardly wear my special occasion 'outfits', they should last for many a year yet.
God bless - Barb

I have three pairs of blue jeans, three skirts (I made them) and T-shirts to last me about a month.
I have one pair of tennis shoes and two pairs of boots.
I have other things (like prom dresses and their shoes) which I do not wear and which are currently in storage awaiting use by my younger sisters. Are they considered already donated or are they still mine?

I've never really thought about how many clothes I have. None of them are what most would consider nice, all of them (except the ones I made) are hand-me-downs. I wear things until they develop holes and then I get more from.... somewhere. I can't afford new, nice, or many clothes, so get I what I get and don't typically stop to think if it's a lot or a little. I guess I have an awful lot of T-shirts, now that I think of it... My friends are generous. It helps that I design T-shirts, too. People are willing to give you one or two when you made them.

Edited by Tally Marx

LaPetiteSoeur

Two pairs of jeans
more than a few skirts, some winter, many spring/summer/fall
Plain shirts and blouses
dresses, mostly for church or "dress-up" occasions
Tons of teeshirts from HS/college/diocesan stuff
do pajamas count? I have many, but some I've had since I was 14 (I only grew taller, so they are just a tad short and some are now kapris instead of pantaloons)
some shorts for working outside and heavy work inside

It's deceptive: most of my clothes I've had since freshman year of high school. I wore uniforms for 10 years, so my clothes didn't get a lot of wear. My parents were really happy when I stopped growing; the new clothes I did get I grew out of very quickly, at least as far as pantaloons go!

Lots of shoes, but mostly old ones. Some of the best shoes are sandels that have lasted five years. They are [i]still[/i] comfortable and look ok!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Oh my... we have so many clothes. What is even more difficult is that I tend to share a lot of clothes with my sister and we tend to loose things in our house, so we have quite the collection between the two of us. Two closets full to the brim. What is also difficult is that mom has to see everything before we get rid of it. Oy, is she picky about things like this. She is also difficult when it comes to getting rid of things. She is full of questions like "would you wear this out of desperation? (a.k.a. what if someone hasn't done laundry in weeks?)" or "what if your sister wants/needs/likes it?"

I come from a house that seems to have a tradition of holding onto things way too long. My mom also likes to shop at thrift stores and garage sales buying things we don't need and certainly don't have room for. Her excuse is that we don't have the money to buy new nice things, so we ought to buy these nice things that are just going to collect dust, get lost, or end up broken. They serve no purpose other than to look pretty. I'm most afraid that my sister is starting to fall into this problem. We still have a rocking horse in the basement from when I was a kid. My mom has a huge problem with getting rid of stuffed animals, even though I tell her that some kid somewhere would love to have them. She still won't budge. Getting rid of anything can be a big deal here, but my mom is realizing it's getting ridiculous.

Getting ready for the convent, I've been separating out the shirts that I want to store (like church t-shirts, camps, etc.). I have a lot of laundry to do before I can really get going. I already have a bin with clothes started in my room where I've been gathering things I haven't worn in years or are just too short or tight. I do need to whittle it down immensely, but there will still be a lot of clothes between me and my sister. I probably wrote way more than anyone here wanted to know about, and I apologize for not being brief. It's just something that irritates me about my family.

I have a good amount of clothes -- but I do try to not overdo it. I do have loud vibrant colors (the latina in me rearing her head :P). I don't own too many pairs of jeans (maybe 3 or 4, reasonably priced). I own maybe 5-6-7 slacks (work+I've gained weight :(). I own lots of tops -- but I have a certain set of tops that I use when I go to special occasions (like when I am scheduled to sing/play). or when I'm going to a wedding).

I *recently* purchased a dress that I can use on very special occasions (like a black tie sort of dinner). I found myself last year in a major predicament because I didn't have such a thing and due to work was expected to be that presentable. So -- now I have the one dress.

I own right now two skirts. Why -- the convent that I was at took my clothing that I used to enter postulancy. That included the majority of my skirts. Since I exclusively use pantaloons for work, I also use pantaloons for Church.

In my opinion simplicity is key -- I'm at the point now that I need to pull out of my closet those items that do not fit, or that are just worn down enough that they should be replaced (I need to be presentable at work).

And I forgot -- shoes. I buy expensive "nun" shoes (SAS all the way!). They're ultra comfy, and the flats are simple enough that I can get away with wearing them when I need something fancier than the sneaker like shoes. I own different colors of the sneaker like shoe -- and they're a lifesaver (I walk tons from my office to the computer lab). I spent a bunch of money to buy the shoes -- but they last a good while. I haven't bought a new shoe in at least over a year (I'm about to replace the sandals though -- they're ready to go). How many pairs of shoes do I own? 6 -- and I end up replacing two pairs every 2-3 years or so (the black sandals and the black sneakers ... they're my heavy use shoes).

franciscanheart

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1304098403' post='2234657']
+JMJ

Oh my... we have so many clothes. What is even more difficult is that I tend to share a lot of clothes with my sister and we tend to loose things in our house, so we have quite the collection between the two of us. Two closets full to the brim. What is also difficult is that mom has to see everything before we get rid of it. Oy, is she picky about things like this. She is also difficult when it comes to getting rid of things. She is full of questions like "would you wear this out of desperation? (a.k.a. what if someone hasn't done laundry in weeks?)" or "what if your sister wants/needs/likes it?"

I come from a house that seems to have a tradition of holding onto things way too long. My mom also likes to shop at thrift stores and garage sales buying things we don't need and certainly don't have room for. Her excuse is that we don't have the money to buy new nice things, so we ought to buy these nice things that are just going to collect dust, get lost, or end up broken. They serve no purpose other than to look pretty. I'm most afraid that my sister is starting to fall into this problem. We still have a rocking horse in the basement from when I was a kid. My mom has a huge problem with getting rid of stuffed animals, even though I tell her that some kid somewhere would love to have them. She still won't budge. Getting rid of anything can be a big deal here, but my mom is realizing it's getting ridiculous.

Getting ready for the convent, I've been separating out the shirts that I want to store (like church t-shirts, camps, etc.). I have a lot of laundry to do before I can really get going. I already have a bin with clothes started in my room where I've been gathering things I haven't worn in years or are just too short or tight. I do need to whittle it down immensely, but there will still be a lot of clothes between me and my sister. I probably wrote way more than anyone here wanted to know about, and I apologize for not being brief. It's just something that irritates me about my family.
[/quote]
My family is the same way, in general. My mom seems to be the only one in the family, however, that can just toss stuff. The older I've gotten, the better I've become about being more like my mom. :)