An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evangelisation Needed In The Uk

Sr Marianne

Catholicism and vocation in the UK?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sr Marianne

In the USA being a person of faith is considered usual and acceptable - in the UK it is often considered strange or a minority interest.
In the past we sent missionaries to Africa and other countries, but I am so excited to read about the faith of young people in the USA I think people should perhaps consider a vocation in the UK.
[i]
Are you just looking in the USA? I have come to the conclusion that the UK is in urgent need of missionaries - I know I live here![/i]
[size="3"][b]I have recently started work in a Catholic school here and am amazed at the impact of one little Franciscan Sister (me) being on the teaching staff.[/b][/size]

Our Order wear the habit, pray in community (meditation, rosary, Mass, office, Eucharistic Adoration....) and our service takes us into schools, hospitals, wherever needed. In keeping with St Francis' vision we have a house of Prayer and Solitude where our Sisters can have a longer time of prayer in silence, and we also take guests as the call for prayer is something people are really searching for.

We also have 2 convents in South Africa where we have a thriving and growing noviciate, and reach out in a feeding project, orphanage, catechesis and many other forms of service.
I am beginning to think we could really benefit from some mission work from US Catholics.
Something to think about....
Sr Marianne FSM

http://www.franciscansm.org/
[color="#000080"]
ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ON THE UK? ANY DISCERNERS CONSIDERED A VOCATION IN THE UK? ANY UK DISCERNERS WANT TO COMMENT??[/color]

Edited by Sr Marianne

AccountDeleted

Sorry but I didn't understand what you meant by mainstream so I chose the equal option but I can see what you mean by your post. When I was in the UK Carmel, we had a missionary priest from Africa as our chaplain and I thought it so amazing that nowadays missionaries are being sent TO the UK and not FROM the UK!

I was in two UK convents and I think the UK is fabulous. I am discerning a vocation there again, but not a missionary one but I will keep your community (and other active ones) in my prayers. I hope to get to the UK in Octo/Nov for some of my visits, and would love to stop by and meet with you if you have any free time then. I am staying with a friend and she is going to drive me around to the monasteries where I want to discern, and I will probably spend a week or two with a couple of them. I would like to know more about your community so that I can support it with my prayers and of course, it is always nice to meet someone in person too! May God bless your work and your community! :pray: :nunpray:

franciscanheart

The community with whom I am in contact (ish) recently sent four sisters to the UK for their first mission. :like:

TeresaBenedicta

While I haven't any plans of entering [i]in[/i] the UK, I am entering a missionary order that does, I believe, send missionaries to the UK. In which case, I am completely open to that possibility.

OnlySunshine

I've thought about it, but to be honest, I am scared to death at the thought. There is one order there that would consider--the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph. I don't know if they would consider those that have medication needs, though. However, they are a beautiful community. :)

humbleheart

I attended a Come and See weekend hosted by Sister Marianne's community in Derbyshire, and it was a beautiful experience. My enduring memory is the community's lively warmth. I loved spending time with the sisters - everybody seemed to have a great sense of humour and deep affection for one another, and we were laughing all the time. On my first evening in the convent, I happened to mention my favourite hymn, and the community used it to begin Lauds the next day! That just about sums them up, I think.

Prayer is the undercurrent of the convent, and you can feel it. There was a separate house of prayer and solitude at the foot of the garden, complete with a library of spiritual books and one of the loveliest replicas of the San Damiano crucifix that I've ever seen. I spent hours kneeling before it, and Sr Marianne gave us an interesting lesson on all the symbolism in the crucifix. I would recommend these wonderful sisters to anybody who feels drawn to Franciscan spirituality and an active apostolate. I myself feel pulled towards cloistered contemplative life, perhaps as a Poor Clare, but I pray for vocations to the Franciscan Sisters Minoress.

- HH

P.S. They really know how to cook! :P

JulianofLdn

Interesting topic [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]

I'm proto-discerning (pre-discerning? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]) in that I've only just been confirmed and only just asked for a spiritual director but I thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth.

First of all, until a few years ago, I had no idea there were any religious communities within the UK. I wasn't brought up within Catholicism, and the whole idea of nuns and monks belonged to ye olden days. Where I grew up, there were no habited religious to be seen.

Believe it or not, it wasn't until a few years ago that I even came to understand that religious communities existed within the UK - a friend of mine has a friend who was an Anglican Franciscan Friar. Then I actually met with and visited some Anglican Franciscans who used to be located nearby... they were lovely. (I've no idea to which specific order of Franciscans they belonged, though).

Now that I've embraced Catholicism again and done a bit of research? I'm surprised, genuinely shocked at how many religious communities there are in the UK. Carmelites in Notting Hill? I had no clue. Benedictines in Marble Arch? No idea.

But then, religion is certainly not mainstream in the UK. Far from it. My experience is that most people view it with pure indifference. Christianity tends to be equated with Anglicanism, I suppose, and Anglicanism isn't taken very seriously; Catholicism is especially treated with suspicion and has a serious image problem due to the controversies of the last few years; it is also considered to be conservative, small-minded and behind the times (and are usually demeaned as such). I know quite a few people who are fiercely and proudly atheist, and who consider religious people to be superstitious, inferior and intellectually suspect. TV dramas and stories pretty much show religion in either a neutral or negative light. There are some rare occasions where the opposite point of view is shown, but these are widely derided by the popular media. Ironically enough, religion in the popular sense is simply not kosher.

Of course I'm drawing some pretty broad generalizations. I do believe indifference is the majority opinion and when people find out you're religious, they're mostly curious. But I do believe positive religious role models are desperately needed over here, to balance out the negative stereotypes. Actions speak very much louder than words, and Sr Marianne and her Order are doing wonderful work, [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img], doing just that. The more the merrier, I say. Say less and do more; prove that Christianity is more than merely institutionalized morality, that it goes farther and deeper than secular humanism ever could by living it.

Plus, the weather really isn't that bad any more and we have great tea and biscuits, clotted cream and scones.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] We even have proper cupcakes here now. You'd like it here, honest you will...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Sr Marianne

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1303994589' post='2234214']
The community with whom I am in contact (ish) recently sent four sisters to the UK for their first mission. :like:
[/quote]

Yes - would that be the Sisters of the Renewal who are now in Leeds? I have met them - wonderful Sisters.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Phatmass has an active, long-time member, Laetitia Crucis (aka Sadora Bloom) who is a postulant with the (active, habited) Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph, in Lymington, UK (near Southhampton). Based on her latest letter, she loves it, and is fitting in well. She loves English desserts, and has now taught her English sisters how to make REAL (i.e., U.S.-style) brownies. (We know how Sadora loves to bake!) She does not have access to the Internet, and is limited in the letters she is allowed to write, but she has said that visitors are welcome anytime.

The community DOES have a Web site.

[url="http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/"]www.dominicansrs.co.uk[/url]

From all I can tell, it is a lovely community, and well worth investigating for a discerner from the U.S. Their apostolate is "Teaching the Truths of our Faith." From the Community's Web site:

[font="Calibri"][color="#0044bb"]In keeping with our Dominican vocation we endeavour to pass on to others the fruits of our contemplation. This we do through the teaching and proclamation of Christian Doctrine. In response to the needs of modern society, we choose to undertake a variety of works. From our Priory we hold retreats and days of prayer and catechetics. We also visit parishes and groups around the country working with adults, youth and children. This includes student chaplaincies, catechetical groups, prayer groups, confirmation groups and parish missions. A summer youth group (Fanning the Flame) takes place annually in the grounds of our Priory and is organised and run by the Sisters.

[/color][/font]It seems like a wonderful community for an aspirant who feels called to teaching and preaching, but does not feel called to be a regular classroom teacher. The community is still small, but seems to be getting a few new vocations every year. (Which feels just right to me--a "horde" of new vocations would overwhelm a small community.) The setting of the Priory looks lovely.

Sadora will be coming back to the U.S. for a week-long home visit this summer. (Sorry, I don't know the dates.) When she is at home in the U.S., she plans to log into Phatmass, even if it's only for a week. Then she hopes to be clothed as a novice this fall.

BTW--In this Community, postulants are not called Sister. So, if you write to Sadora (her address is on the Sister's Web site), until she is clothed this fall (and has a new relgious name), letters should be addressed simply to Sadora Bloom.

I'll try to keep you up with any news as it is posted on the Sister's Web site.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Sr Marianne

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1304364751' post='2235873']
I'm living out my vocation in England, if that counts. ;)
[/quote]

It certainly does - you will know what I'm talking about!!! Nice to meet you - I have just read your blog.

God bless you and your family!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Sr Marianne' timestamp='1304447551' post='2236419']
It certainly does - you will know what I'm talking about!!! Nice to meet you - I have just read your blog.

God bless you and your family!
[/quote]
Thanks! And yes, I do know what you're talking about. Our Lady of Walsingham, pray for us. St George, pray for us.

Studiumecclesiae

I haven't found what I am looking for in England.
When you are drawn to Traditional Catholicism, you don't have much choise, only the Franciscans of the immaculate for ladies.
In France and Italy there are much more communities.
I've been to several communities, but very few have a Liturgy that corresponds with what i am looking for, and little are in favour of Summorum Pontificum set up by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

So basically I'll have to go off the UK and find the right convent outside the UK.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1304507586' post='2236779']
I haven't found what I am looking for in England.
When you are drawn to Traditional Catholicism, you don't have much choise, only the Franciscans of the immaculate for ladies.
In France and Italy there are much more communities.
I've been to several communities, but very few have a Liturgy that corresponds with what i am looking for, and little are in favour of Summorum Pontificum set up by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

So basically I'll have to go off the UK and find the right convent outside the UK.
[/quote]

There are the FSSP in London (and it looks like they are in Scotland). The Latin Mass Society of England & Wales has a few communities listed (although they look like they are mostly men's communities). They do list a [url="http://www.catholic-church.org/hermitage/"]traditional women's community[/url] in Ireland. They do exist. Hopefully, the future will bring many more.

This as well is why Sister started this thread. There is a dire need of evangelism with passion for the Faith, especially in the UK. I believe that bringing back the traditional aspect of our Faith really can reinvigorate the people and help them quiet themselves to hear God's voice calling them. The UK needs passionate defenders and lovers of the Faith. That is what Sister is seeking to come to the UK. There are many faithful communities in the UK, but there are more vocations needed! Vocations with a missionary zeal!

It is wonderful that being in Europe there are so many faithful and beautiful communities. Such a wealth of ancient orders.

Studiumecclesiae

Bless you! Thank you so much for this link!
I didn't know about this community.

But it's striking. Because in France for instance, there are 3 Traditional Catholic communities of benedictine nuns, and several masculine ones.
There are the Religious victims of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and more. The ICKSP, FSSP, Institute of the Good Shepherd, Fraternité Saint Vincent Ferrier.
In Italy there are the Poor Clares of the Immaculate and the Franciscans of the Immaculate, the Adorers of the Royal heart of Jesus (ICRSP feminine branch), the ICKSP (their seminary), and many more.

In the UK, lots of beautiful spiritualities are dying out. A few are thinking of renewal (like the Gilbertines renewal), but so many communities are facing closure. I won't post the list of all convents that shut up these last 4 years, it makes me shiver.