Discerning Orders

LaPetiteSoeur

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1303960998' post='2234131']
All right TB. You've sold me. lol.

I am sending in my application.
[/quote]

:evil: My job here is complete.

Although... erm... when you send in your application... I'd recommend not mentioning that you're actually entering elsewhere... ;)

This website may be a good resource to help with searching, though I strongly recommend using the CMSWR (?) website [I can never remember what those letters stand for, so hopefully I didn't scramble them!]

http://womenreligiousordersstate.blogspot.com/

HopefulBride

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304003855' post='2234243']
:evil: My job here is complete.

Although... erm... when you send in your application... I'd recommend not mentioning that you're actually entering elsewhere... ;)
[/quote]

You really think that might be a holdup huh? Well I trust your advice so I will keep that part under wraps.

FutureSister2009

I know what you mean. I do feel called to join my Order the SFms but now I'm also considering the Daughters of St. Paul which I had considered in the past and the SVMMS. I'm going to contact them when I get home and see what the outcomes are.:wall:

Sp[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1303925706' post='2233915']
:wall:

Ok. So I once believed I was called to be a Dominican. But lately, I've felt the need to look into other orders other than the NDs and the DSMMEs. Because I'm moving (another banging head and wall event) I decided to contact some different religious orders and the new diocese where I'll be. Reading the little blurbs about all of the communities is great, but then I look at their website and the sisters don't wear habits!

I know I am called to wear a habit, and so many of these orders don't wear them! :wall:

Does anyone know of religious orders that wear the habit, teach, and do mission work?

Anyone?

Thanks! My head and wall also thank you.

Dieu vous benisse.
[/quote]

Speaking of the Dominicans do you hear from the postulants who have entgered in August and who have now left? I know that four women have left DSMME and wonder if it is family related and that they are allowed to re-enter later?

Thanks

Anne

LaPetiteSoeur

Thank you all so much!

I will definitely look into all of them.

Amy G--I have heard of the Apostolic Sisters of St. John. I never knew much about them, unfortunately. I do speak French (It's my major, actually!), so that would not be an issue at all!

Dieu vous benisse

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1304052046' post='2234476']
Speaking of the Dominicans do you hear from the postulants who have entgered in August and who have now left? I know that four women have left DSMME and wonder if it is family related and that they are allowed to re-enter later?

Thanks

Anne
[/quote]

We generally try not to speculate so much... there've been conversations before and I think we've pretty much come to the conclusion that that sort of discernment is private... and pretty normal/okay.

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1304052046' post='2234476']

Thanks

Anne
[/quote]

I have absolutely no info about anyone in particular.

I CAN say, as a total generality, that there's a reason you don't make your final vows on Day 1. People are SUPPOSED to be "trying things out" as a postulant and novice. And some people will discern that they are called to stay and some will discern they are called elsewhere and that is how it should be.

I can also say that different communities vary in how much extended discernment they expect befor you enter. DSMMEs tend to be pretty strong on the "Hey! Come try it out!" side of things. So it's not surprising that a goodly proportion of people who come to "try it out" ultimately discern that it's not for them. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I also don't know at all about the DSMME's approach to re-entry. I can say that the Rule of Benedict (which, obviously the Dominicans don't follow) says you can leave and re-enter up to three times, but after you've left three times, enough already. It can take a few tries to find your way, but eventually you have to pick a way of life and do it.

Sister Marie

Dear Little Sister ( [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]),

I have found in my own discernment, since I am not too far removed from it (I am junior professed.), that I kept expecting that I would find a community that has everything I'm looking for in it's daily life. I expected deep spirituality, courageous virtue, dedicated apostolic workers, visionaries and prophets, women of extreme selflessness and charity. What I have found is a foundational spirituality, a struggling virtue, tired workers, fearful and indecisive disciples, and sinful women. I guarantee that whatever community you choose to enter will be the same - just as it was with the first disciples.

No matter how hard you try to find the "right" community - the community who is completely faithful, completely "correct", and completely perfect... you will never find it. I'm really sorry to say so [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/amen.gif[/img]. The thing to find is the place where God has called your heart to make its home. The rule of life, spirit, and charism of a community are what you need to discern. If they don't wear a habit and they should - it is a struggle! But what makes religious life such a wonderful sacrifice of praise to the Father is our willingness to live courageously and virtuously in the midst of very human conditions and frailty.

My community is not perfect. They are not the community I would have chosen... and there are a million things about them I would change if I could. However, when I read our rule, look at our charism, and pray in our spirituality... I know I am where God has called me to be and my path to Heaven is in my navigation of the struggles and circumstances I face in trying to be faithful to all those foundational texts of God's desire for the particular work of my community.

Things in any community can quickly change. If you find one that is perfect... I promise it won't be perfect forever. It is our growth with and through one another that bring us to sanctity and fullness of life in Christ... not the length of our veils, hours spent on our knees, or penances kept. It is in the sacrifice of love for one another and for the kingdom that brings us sanctity.

Prayers for your discernment!
Sister Marie
[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1303925706' post='2233915']
:wall:

Ok. So I once believed I was called to be a Dominican. But lately, I've felt the need to look into other orders other than the NDs and the DSMMEs. Because I'm moving (another banging head and wall event) I decided to contact some different religious orders and the new diocese where I'll be. Reading the little blurbs about all of the communities is great, but then I look at their website and the sisters don't wear habits!

I know I am called to wear a habit, and so many of these orders don't wear them! :wall:

Does anyone know of religious orders that wear the habit, teach, and do mission work?

Anyone?

Thanks! My head and wall also thank you.

Dieu vous benisse.
[/quote]

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1304136294' post='2234922']
Dear Little Sister ( [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]),

I have found in my own discernment, since I am not too far removed from it (I am junior professed.), that I kept expecting that I would find a community that has everything I'm looking for in it's daily life. I expected deep spirituality, courageous virtue, dedicated apostolic workers, visionaries and prophets, women of extreme selflessness and charity. What I have found is a foundational spirituality, a struggling virtue, tired workers, fearful and indecisive disciples, and sinful women. I guarantee that whatever community you choose to enter will be the same - just as it was with the first disciples.

No matter how hard you try to find the "right" community - the community who is completely faithful, completely "correct", and completely perfect... you will never find it. I'm really sorry to say so [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/amen.gif[/img]. The thing to find is the place where God has called your heart to make its home. The rule of life, spirit, and charism of a community are what you need to discern. If they don't wear a habit and they should - it is a struggle! But what makes religious life such a wonderful sacrifice of praise to the Father is our willingness to live courageously and virtuously in the midst of very human conditions and frailty.

My community is not perfect. They are not the community I would have chosen... and there are a million things about them I would change if I could. However, when I read our rule, look at our charism, and pray in our spirituality... I know I am where God has called me to be and my path to Heaven is in my navigation of the struggles and circumstances I face in trying to be faithful to all those foundational texts of God's desire for the particular work of my community.

Things in any community can quickly change. If you find one that is perfect... I promise it won't be perfect forever. It is our growth with and through one another that bring us to sanctity and fullness of life in Christ... not the length of our veils, hours spent on our knees, or penances kept. It is in the sacrifice of love for one another and for the kingdom that brings us sanctity.

Sister Marie
[/quote]

:clap:

:notworthy:

Thanks for these words! Everybody must read this! :pray:

LaPetiteSoeur

Thanks Sister Marie!

It's so great to have such amesome religious on Phatmass to help guide us!!

:nun: :nun1: :nun2: :nun3:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1304136294' post='2234922']

Sister Marie
[/quote]

:like:

Thanks Sr. Marie, you rock!

I think there's sometimes a danger when looking at communities to seek out that "perfect" community... just like there's a danger to look for the "perfect" man. Ain't no such thing! But, the beauty is how much God can work in such a group of imperfect women!