An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Young Is Too Young?

tnavarro61

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1304098111' post='2234649']
You laugh, but it wasn't uncommon in medieval times for parents/relatives to drop off a child at a monastery.

Venerable Bede entered the Benedictine Abbey at age 7, was ordained to the diaconate at age 19, and was ordained a priest at age 30. He was born c. AD 672. I somehow doubt that any sort of 'discernment' on his part was part of this process. The decision was made, and he lived the life.

As we all know, St. Therese petitioned the pope to be permitted to enter Carmel at the age of 15. Teresa of the Andes was 18 when she entered, but had the desire to do so since the age of 14.

Basically, I think you can discern at *any* age. There are children who 'play' mass, and talk about religious life. I don't think there's any need to discourage them...nor to take them seriously. When my sister was 6, she wanted to be a priest. If everyone had told her she was a horrible/evil person for even thinking such a thing, she may have taken a dim view of the Church. Instead, she was mostly encouraged, even by priests, and eventually grew out of it. She worked as a youth minister for several years, and is now a wife and mother.

If parents or communities have age restrictions on when a young person may begin to correspond, that is reasonable and acceptable. After all, the community doesn't want to get in trouble for 'kidnapping' young people, so if they say 'We won't write to you until you are 18' that's fine.
[/quote]

Don't forget Blessed Imelda Lambertini (1322-1333)! When she was nine, she was placed, at her own wish, in the Dominican convent in Val di Pietra, to be trained there by the nuns. She died at age 11 after receiving communion for the first and last time. :)

[img]http://cogitz.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/imelda_incorrupt.jpg[/img]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Archaeology cat

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1304095058' post='2234618']
Well, Hannah sent Samuel off as soon as he was weaned.

I would not recommend that, though.
[/quote]
Though of course it's also unlikely that he was weaned before age 3.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1304101015' post='2234680']
Though of course it's also unlikely that he was weaned before age 3.
[/quote]
:huh: Really?

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1304098111' post='2234649']
You laugh, but it wasn't uncommon in medieval times for parents/relatives to drop off a child at a monastery.

Venerable Bede entered the Benedictine Abbey at age 7, was ordained to the diaconate at age 19, and was ordained a priest at age 30. He was born c. AD 672. I somehow doubt that any sort of 'discernment' on his part was part of this process. The decision was made, and he lived the life.
[/quote]

True -- child oblates used to be very common. Very different era, where "making your own choice" was not a value. Hildegard of Bingen was a child oblate too. As were plenty of others.

I think the Council of Trent did away with them. Which I think is a good thing. Not that I was consulted. ;)

I guess there's discerning and then there's discerning.

Absolutely I would not pooh-pooh a young child's talking about religious life. Interested in exploring nuns (or medicine or fire fighters or anything else)? Great! Let's go meet some and ask them questions. But at the same time I wouldn't put them on a fast-track that would limit their options. Nor would I be putting a little kid on a fast track to medicine or teaching or whatever else.

dominicansoul

i think i've always wanted to enter the convent, even when I was swimming in my mother's womb....

*sigh*

memories!!!

Lil'Monster

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1304115201' post='2234782']
i think i've always wanted to enter the convent, even when I was swimming in my mother's womb....

*sigh*

memories!!!
[/quote]

rotfl

FutureSister2009

My mother thinks that me at 19 is too young. But I know what I want. I know now more than ever. I really feel the need to let it happen and I don't want to wait any longer

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1304087648' post='2234584']
i think 3 years old would be too young...
[/quote]

A blessed woman who is now incorrupt entered a convent at the age of Five.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1304359113' post='2235826']
[/quote]

Who was that?

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1304360752' post='2235835']
Who was that?
[/quote]

Blessed Imelda, patroness of first communicants.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1304359113' post='2235826']
[/quote]

I posted about Bl. Imelda on the first page of posts. She didn't enter at 5, she entered at 9. :)

Studiumecclesiae

Oooh I know what you're talking about!! It's such a waste to make young people wait.

In Ryde, they are in favour of young vocations and their youngest entrant was 19. It depends on maturity.
Convents refusing young people under 30 are silly. They shoot themselves in the foot! It's killing the Church to do that and it's bad for youth because you then tend to flit from one thing to another... and even have pre-marital relationships, and at some point to give up the religious life and get married.

So silly to rebuke young ladies!

Edited by Studiumecclesiae

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1304443433' post='2236384']
I posted about Bl. Imelda on the first page of posts. She didn't enter at 5, she entered at 9. :)
[/quote]

My refrence said five... But you are probably right. St. Nicholas stood up in his bath to pray at what, like 9 months old?