An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your Favorite Marian Devotion?

LaPetiteSoeur

Absolutely, Our Lady of Mount Carmel. My home parish is Mt Carmel in East Harlem, the original Italian national parish in the USA. Papally crowned Madonna, Latin Tridentine Mass, kinda on hard times now, but still pulls off a glorious Feast each July with Novenas, processions and Masses. Then the thousands return. Oh did i mention a couple of Carmelite nuns in Brooklyn, Dallas, St. Helens England, Philadelphia and Buffalo? No contest. Even one of the old Supremes is buried in Mt. Carmel cemetery in Detroit :clapping:

I CHOOSE ALL -- I mean, I'm with St. Therese. Because, really, how could I pick just one Marian devotion? It's like -- well, actually, it is -- picking just one favorite thing about my Mother. Yet, I want to be devoted to her [i]entirely[/i].

Having said that, when it came time to pick our patron saints at the end of RCIA as we were making our day of recollection, our parish vicar asked who I had chosen to be my own patron saint and, partly because I was distracted I simply said "Mary". "Oh, he said "you mean Mother Mary?" and I cringed inwardly and nodded because I had just been reading about this "seer" who had visions of a Mother Mary who urged the use of contraception, condoned abortion, etc. So when they passed around the official form I wrote down, in large, flourishing, protesting script "Mary, Mother of God" -- not realizing I'd just chosen her oldest, most venerable title, or even thinking that there might be a difference between choosing Mary, Mother of God rather than the Blessed Virgin Mary or Our Lady of the Rosary, etc. But now I keep January 1st, the feast of Mary, Mother of God, as a kind of special day when I celebrate her patronal role in my life and devote the year ahead to her safekeeping.

But then... I could list countless other examples, too. I have consecrated myself to Our Lady using the de Montfort method and the Annunciation is the pinnacle feast of the Association of Our Lady, Queen of All Hearts. I made my consecration on the feast of the Visitation, May 31st. I made the decision to become a Catholic on the feast of the Assumption and each year in the weeks leading up to August 15th I have a little mini-Lent the celebration feels like a personal homecoming. I am devoted to Our Lady of Sorrows, Our Lady's Immaculate Heart, Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of the Rosary, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Our Lady Rosa Mystica, Our Lady of Grace, Our Lady Stella Maris, Our Lady Help of Christians...

But then, all these devotions are related to each other and, taken as a whole, they complete a glorious and still only partially glimpsed understanding of who Our Lady really is -- in very much the same way that each day in the liturgical year provides a focused glimpse into the depths of the mystery of the Church. I meditate on them through the day and through each year like mysteries of the rosary -- savoring, considering and moving on to the next, then returning.

FutureSister2009

Do I need to pick one? Rosary, scapular, Miraculous Medal, Lourdes, Fatima, Guadalupe etc

BramletAbercrombie

I wear my Miraculous Medal every day, but I hope to soon be enrolled in the Brown Scapular. I carry it around in my Church Purse in the hopes that I'll catch a free moment with one of the Fathers. No luck yet, but I know that when it's time, Mary will let it happen. I pray the rosary every day, and I'm finding that it really helps me with To Christ Through Mary.