An Old School Catholic Message Board

Neocatechumenal Way

Zippy

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304104365' post='2234703']
The Spanish have their own Mass? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Yeah, at my parish it's at 2 and 9 on Sundays :)

Personally, I am not a fan at all of having a guitar at an English language Mass (where you invariably get something along the lines of "Gentle Woman"), but I think that in the Spanish Mass it sounds pretty. The style is completely different.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304104365' post='2234703']
The Spanish have their own Mass? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1304110668' post='2234751']

Personally, I am not a fan at all of having a guitar at an English language Mass (where you invariably get something along the lines of "Gentle Woman"), but I think that in the Spanish Mass it sounds pretty. The style is completely different.
[/quote]

I go normally to Mass in Spanish (that's what I mean by Spanish Mass). The music style is completely different than that in english. And please -- no arguments for/against Mass in the vernacular. It is also the only moments during the week that I deal with people of my own culture (i.e. from latin american countries, who speak spanish, etc.).

Again ... the instrument of choice in a spanish-language Mass is the guitar. When its a piano/organ, it starts seeming european/american. There are songs that just don't play correctly on a piano/organ, regardless of the talent of the musician.

Finally ... I have heard "Pescador de Hombres" (Lord, you have come) on an organ -- its an injustice to the song. It takes a different nature and beauty on a guitar.
And before I forget ... put the image of a classical guitar in your head when thinking of a spanish language Mass. Not a dreadnaught, nor an electric. Most latino musicians play a classical guitar with nylon strings. I'm an exception (I play an orchestra model Martin with steel strings).

[quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1304110668' post='2234751']

[/quote]

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304115360' post='2234787']
I go normally to Mass in Spanish (that's what I mean by Spanish Mass). The music style is completely different than that in english. And please -- no arguments for/against Mass in the vernacular. It is also the only moments during the week that I deal with people of my own culture (i.e. from latin american countries, who speak spanish, etc.).

Again ... the instrument of choice in a spanish-language Mass is the guitar. When its a piano/organ, it starts seeming european/american. There are songs that just don't play correctly on a piano/organ, regardless of the talent of the musician.

Finally ... I have heard "Pescador de Hombres" (Lord, you have come) on an organ -- its an injustice to the song. It takes a different nature and beauty on a guitar.
And before I forget ... put the image of a classical guitar in your head when thinking of a spanish language Mass. Not a dreadnaught, nor an electric. Most latino musicians play a classical guitar with nylon strings. I'm an exception (I play an orchestra model Martin with steel strings).
[/quote]

I was tongue in cheek. There is no Spanish mass. It is Spanish-speaking mass....which for some reason is synonomous with guitar foolishness.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304135737' post='2234916']
If a song only sounds good on a guitar, it's not a song for Mass.
[/quote]

Ok -- we agree to disagree :).

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1304123386' post='2234835']
I was tongue in cheek. There is no Spanish mass. It is Spanish-speaking mass....which for some reason is synonomous with guitar foolishness.
[/quote]

Sorry but I didn't get the joke ... and it wasn't funny. And sorry -- but culturally it is accepted to have the guitar. It is not foolishness. Again -- I think we can agree to disagree.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304137374' post='2234933']
Ok -- we agree to disagree :).
[/quote]
Indeed.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304100913' post='2234678']
If the choice is between guitar and no instruments, I'd go with no instruments 110 times out of 100.
[/quote]

But then, you're not Spanish.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1304137666' post='2234937']
But then, you're not Spanish.
[/quote]
Neither is the Church.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304103022' post='2234692']
That is sad for them. :(
[/quote]

No, really it's not. It's sad for you, so you [i]think [/i]it's sad for them.

concerning guitar use in liturgical music:

Psalms (word of God, inspired by God, written by God)

{32:2} Confess to the Lord [b]with stringed instruments[/b]; sing psalms to him with the psaltery, the instrument of ten strings.
{32:3} Sing to him a new song. Sing psalms to him skillfully, with loud exclamation.

{91:2} It is good to confess to the Lord and to sing psalms to your name, O Most High:
{91:3} to announce your mercy in the morning, and your truth throughout the night,
{91:4} upon the ten strings, upon the psaltery, with a canticle, upon [b]stringed instruments[/b].

{150:3} Praise him with the sound of the trumpet. Praise him with psaltery and [b]stringed instrument[/b].
{150:4} Praise him with timbrel and choir. Praise him [b]with strings[/b]and organ.

Also David praised God with a harp. A harp is similar to a guitar. There is nothing wrong with reverently using a guitar to accompany music at the Mass. To deny this would be to deny what is revealed in Scripture.

Edited by kafka

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304137719' post='2234938']
Neither is the Church.
[/quote]

The Church [i]is[/i] Spanish - and Roman, and French, and Irish, and every other culture that contributes to the people of God. I don't remember Jesus saying that people had to accept a particular culture to be saved, only that they had to believe in a particular savior to be saved ... BTW, that savior wasn't Roman, or even European, and definitely not medieval or Renaissance.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1304137805' post='2234940']
No, really it's not. It's sad for you, so you [i]think [/i]it's sad for them.
[/quote]
If you say so.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1304138160' post='2234944']
The Church [i]is[/i] Spanish - and Roman, and French, and Irish, and every other culture that contributes to the people of God. I don't remember Jesus saying that people had to accept a particular culture to be saved, only that they had to believe in a particular savior to be saved ... BTW, that savior wasn't Roman, or even European, and definitely not medieval or Renaissance.
[/quote]
I never implied that Jesus was Roman or medieval or Renaissance. Dunno where you're getting that from. The Church is none of the above either. Gregorian Chant is the music of our Church in a way that no other music is or possibly can be, no matter how many years go by and how many cultural music styles march through our choir lofts.
The Church is none of these cultures because the Church transcends the cultures of earth. All cultures must be subservient to the Church. Not the other way around.

Edited by Nihil Obstat