An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Friday Services

Cam42

dominicansoul

I loved my Good Friday Liturgy also...

...i didn't have time to pay too much attention to the rubrics and how things are placed on the empty altar, or if the priest was doing such and such correctly...

...instead, my heart and mind were totally consumed with the great Sacrifice Jesus made for me...and I was left in awe and totally speechless...

TeresaBenedicta

We had a beautiful Good Friday...

I went to my home parish for stations and confession at noon (over 200 people for confession!! and we're a smaller parish!!). It was extremely powerful to confess my sins during the time that Jesus hung on the cross FOR my sins.

Then I went to the Veneration of the Cross service at the parish where I work. I didn't get to focus too much on the actual service because a) I had my three RCIA children sitting in front with me, so I was answering their questions all during the service (they ask [i]great[/i] questions, btw!) and b) I had to orchestrate the procession with the cross and the cross holders during the veneration.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303590487' post='2231480']

For all Phatmassers who ARE able to attend Easter Vigil Mass tonight, will you put in a few words for those of us on Phatmass (and those around the world) who would love to be there, but can't? Thanks.
[/quote]

For sure!!!

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1303592986' post='2231486']
One of my more poignant moments of the day was reading the crucifixion account to my children. Even though we've talked about Jesus' death on the cross many times I think that it helped them understand, more than ever, how important it is. My 6 year old said "That's very sad." I told her, "Yes it is, but it's also so, so very special. He died for US."

I've always said that I think converts often have a much greater appreciation for the Faith than a lot of us cradle Catholics. I think it can be easier for us to begin taking it for granted because it's always been there for us. I've always felt that I was very grounded in my faith, but I can tell you for sure having children has intensified it in a lot of ways. Things that I normally remain solemn while contemplating make me cry when I explain them to my kids. I can't really explain it, but I do know that these kids have helped me have a really amazing Holy Week. My 4 year old has been walking around telling me "I love Jesus." That just warms the cockles of my heart. Even if she was too chicken to kiss Jesus' feet at the veneration of the cross last night.
[/quote]

:love:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303590487' post='2231480']

For all Phatmassers who ARE able to attend Easter Vigil Mass tonight, will you put in a few words for those of us on Phatmass (and those around the world) who would love to be there, but can't? Thanks.
[/quote]

Will do!

What is given for us to do in these situations is to make use of the processes laid out in Redemptionis Sacramentum, and then resign ourselves to be at peace knowing that our obligation has been met. We should hope that people still find truth and the true faith in spite of the novelties that surround them, and hope that the liturgy is restored to its correct practice in every place. When we find ourselves in a bad liturgy, we should resign ourselves to unite to our Lord in any way we can, and hope that others are doing the same; be at peace, those who are entrusted to be guardians of the worship of God to pass down the deposit of the faith correctly will be judged in the end on the job they have done.

In many ways the innovations that destroy the spirit of the liturgy in so many places are indeed poisonous to the faith, but God causes water to flow from rocks, and the Catholic faith will continue and endure. It is sad when oppurtunities for beauty are missed and replaced by illicit and banal practices, but the Roman Liturgy is a phoenix, and it shall rise from the ashes one day.

I believe the point being made by the anectdotes shared here is this: don't let this trouble you so much that you do not experience Good Friday in a significant way. sadly your liturgy did not do what it ought to have done for you, so supplement with your own pious practices outside of the liturgy, strengthened by the presanctified Eucharist you still recieved despite a tattered liturgy.

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1303592986' post='2231486']
One of my more poignant moments of the day was reading the crucifixion account to my children. Even though we've talked about Jesus' death on the cross many times I think that it helped them understand, more than ever, how important it is. My 6 year old said "That's very sad." I told her, "Yes it is, but it's also so, so very special. He died for US."

I've always said that I think converts often have a much greater appreciation for the Faith than a lot of us cradle Catholics. I think it can be easier for us to begin taking it for granted because it's always been there for us. I've always felt that I was very grounded in my faith, but I can tell you for sure having children has intensified it in a lot of ways. Things that I normally remain solemn while contemplating make me cry when I explain them to my kids. I can't really explain it, but I do know that these kids have helped me have a really amazing Holy Week. My 4 year old has been walking around telling me "I love Jesus." That just warms the cockles of my heart. Even if she was too chicken to kiss Jesus' feet at the veneration of the cross last night.
[/quote]
:love:

last night, I was explaining to my girl what was going to happen, that we would go and show our love to Jesus for dying for us and saving us. she said, "but I don't [i]want[/i] Jesus to die!" it was really, really sweet.

then last night as we were singing as people were venerating the cross, we were singing "Were You There?" and I looked up when we were singing "tremble, tremble, tremble" and that moment felt [i]heavy[/i], (don't know how to describe) like all of us there were aware what had happened on the first Good Friday. it was pretty amazing.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1303608651' post='2231591']
What is given for us to do in these situations is to make use of the processes laid out in Redemptionis Sacramentum, and then resign ourselves to be at peace knowing that our obligation has been met. We should hope that people still find truth and the true faith in spite of the novelties that surround them, and hope that the liturgy is restored to its correct practice in every place. When we find ourselves in a bad liturgy, we should resign ourselves to unite to our Lord in any way we can, and hope that others are doing the same; be at peace, those who are entrusted to be guardians of the worship of God to pass down the deposit of the faith correctly will be judged in the end on the job they have done.

In many ways the innovations that destroy the spirit of the liturgy in so many places are indeed poisonous to the faith, but God causes water to flow from rocks, and the Catholic faith will continue and endure. It is sad when oppurtunities for beauty are missed and replaced by illicit and banal practices, but the Roman Liturgy is a phoenix, and it shall rise from the ashes one day.

I believe the point being made by the anectdotes shared here is this: don't let this trouble you so much that you do not experience Good Friday in a significant way. sadly your liturgy did not do what it ought to have done for you, so supplement with your own pious practices outside of the liturgy, strengthened by the presanctified Eucharist you still recieved despite a tattered liturgy.
[/quote]
what a beautiful post. thank you, al. :)

If I were a priest, and if I got a written reprimand about by lack of liturgical propriety from someone who has publicly declared himself to be SSPX (do I have that abbreviation correct?), I'd wouldn't even bother to answer the letter. I'd throw it in the trash, knowing that there are some people you can never please.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1303615416' post='2231613']
If I were a priest, and if I got a written reprimand about by lack of liturgical propriety from someone who has publicly declared himself to be SSPX (do I have that abbreviation correct?), I'd wouldn't even bother to answer the letter. I'd throw it in the trash, knowing that there are some people you can never please.
[/quote]
That wouldn't be very pastoral.

Besides that, Cam sent these letters before his decision to attend an SSPX parish. Also for the sake of the record, laymen are not SSPX. They attend SSPX Masses. Only SSPX priests and bishops belong to the SSPX.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1303615416' post='2231613']
[/quote]

Why? As a Catholic, do I not have the same rights as other Catholics? Does not Redemptionis Sacramentum apply to me just as much as it does to you?

And I have not joined the SSPX, I am not a priest. therefore I have no way to join the SSPX. I simply assist at their Masses.

How do you know that you can't please me? I have asked for the liturgical action to be celebrated according to the appropriate books.

You seem to have a very biased view of the SSPX, do you know why the concerns they have are taken so seriously?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1303615603' post='2231615']

Besides that, Cam sent these letters before his decision to attend an SSPX parish. Also for the sake of the record, laymen are not SSPX. They attend SSPX Masses. Only SSPX priests and bishops belong to the SSPX.
[/quote]

The bishops don't belong to the SSPX, their charism is to assist the SSPX and their mission. Once a priest is consecrated a bishop, he becomes a priest of the universal Church. The use of postnominals is simply an honorific. A bishop is at the disposal of the Church.

Also, the SSPX don't have parishes, they have chapels. It is a juridical matter.

Edited by Cam42

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1303615603' post='2231615']

[/quote]

Exactly.

Even if, liturgical abuse is liturgical abuse. Who cares who points it out?

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1303619204' post='2231639']
Exactly.

Even if, liturgical abuse is liturgical abuse. Who cares who points it out?
[/quote]

Didn't you get the memo....I'm a big meanie because I assist at an SSPX chapel. I have no standing in the Church....