An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Friday Services

Cam42

Sooooooo....I'm home at Mom and Dad's for Easter.

[mod]Negative criticism of religious. -dUSt[/mod]

Good Friday service....

1. He stayed vested for the whole service. He didn't remove the chasuble once, or even his shoes for that matter.

2. There was all sorts of music used throughout the whole of the service...syntesizer, piano, organ.

3. No Holy Water

4. The Blessed Sacrament was simply set "around" the tabernacle of repose, the tabernacle was too small to hold all of the consecrated hosts, apparently.

5. He was the only male to participate in the whole of the service.

6. No corpus upon the cross of veneration...veneration was allowed in whatever manner one wanted....I was one of three people to kiss the cross. There were several hundred...most bowed (simplex).

7. No prostration by the celebrant.

8. Finally, the Blessed Sacrament was returned to the main tabernacle after Holy Communion. Jesus never left the sanctuary in my parents parish this Triduum.

I feel another letter is forthcoming....the parish family at St. Mary's is being deprived of the Sacraments, ceremonies, and services which give them a Catholic identity. I am genuinely frightened for tomorrow night.

As M.G. Siegvalt (Professor of dogmatic theology at the University of Strasbourg; Protestant faculty) said whilst observing the Consilium's actions during and after Vatican Council II; [b]"... nothing in the renewed Catholic Mass need really trouble the Evangelical Protestant."[/b] ( Le Monde, 22 November, 1969)

That certainly rang true today...certainly.

Edited by dUSt

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1303507504' post='2231218']
Your suffering is certainly on par with our Lord's.
[/quote]

Pretty much....it is terrible...

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1303507622' post='2231219']
Pretty much....it is terrible...
[/quote]

um just wow...

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1303508055' post='2231224']
um just wow...
[/quote]

If she's going to be coy, so can I.

Having to witness the level of liturgical abuse I did today, though was pretty terrible though and the suffering was much...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1303507504' post='2231218']
Your suffering is certainly on par with our Lord's.
[/quote]
:like:

Could be worse. At least you got to attend a service, even if it wasn't the one you wanted. I am still stuck in bed having nurses come everyday to probe my backside.

[quote name='kamiller42' timestamp='1303510079' post='2231236']
Have you or your parents approached the pastor with these observations in a charitable way?
[/quote]

I wrote a very nice letter to him regarding the liturgical action at St. Mary's several months ago. I received a response and I returned the correspondence promptly, to which I have not heard back.

Apparently he doesn't like being called on the carpet for being an abuser of the Liturgy.

This letter is available for viewing at another forum, as it was written during my exile from phatmass, if you'd like to read it.

[quote name='Tony' timestamp='1303510716' post='2231239']
IS there many hard rules for a Good Friday Service? It's not a Mass...
[/quote]

Yes there are rubrics. And the "service" is properly called the Mass of the Presanctified. The problem is that no one calls it that any longer.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1303502446' post='2231189']
8. Finally, the Blessed Sacrament was returned to the main tabernacle after Holy Communion. Jesus never left the sanctuary in my parents parish this Triduum.
[/quote]

smh.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1303531105' post='2231295']
smh.
[/quote]

You got that right...

You know the history, it's just awful.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1303531523' post='2231297']
You got that right...

You know the history, it's just awful.
[/quote]

You should introduce yourself to him after the Vigil.