An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Book Should I Purchase?

OnlySunshine

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OnlySunshine

Ok, I need help. I discovered that Ignatius Press is having a mega sale on their books and I looked through the pages of them and found several I am interested in, but I can only afford one or two. I wanted to know what the best ones were.

Mother Mary Francis, PCC, has a book available called [url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/CPO-P/chastity-poverty-and-obedience.aspx"]"Chastity, Poverty, and Obedience."[/url] I read "A Right to Be Merry" and LOVED it, so I wondered if I'd like this other book, too.

But what I really need to work on is my spiritual life. Since I am unable to find a spiritual director, I'm having to take spiritual advice from good books. I plan to start reading "Seeking Spiritual Direction" as soon as my class is over. I've heard Fr. Thomas Dubay is EXCELLENT at spiritual advice. He has several good books available for sale on IP including:

[url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/AYC-P/and-you-are-christs.aspx"]And You Are Christ's[/url]
[url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/FW-P/fire-within.aspx"]Fire Within[/url]
[url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/DCDP-P/deep-conversiondeep-prayer.aspx"]Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer[/url]

There is also a book by Adrienne von Speyr called [url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/PFW-P/the-passion-from-within.aspx"]"The Passion From Within"[/url] that looks incredible. It touches on several very important topics including the Eucharist, Theology of the Body, Christ's redemptive sufferings, and meditative prayer.

I have no idea what to choose! HELP! :blush:

TeresaBenedicta

Oh wow! Such good books...

Three times in the past week I've been recommended "Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience" by M. Mary Francis. I've read her "But I Have Called You Friends" which was [i]excellent[/i]. I think this is next on my spiritual reading list.

"And You Are Christ's" is a wonderful book. It really helped solidify my vocation in many ways.

I haven't read "Fire Within" but I've heard good things about it. It has more to do with the different stages of prayer and the spiritual life than the evangelical counsels. If you were to purchase this one, I wouldn't bother with "Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer." The latter is more of an introduction to prayer. A good book, though.

So I guess it really depends what you're looking for. If you're wanting something to do with the evangelical counsels and religious life, I'd go with one of the first two. If you're looking for something more general on the spiritual life, I'd go with "Fire Within." You won't be going wrong either way!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1303243493' post='2230285']
Oh wow! Such good books...

Three times in the past week I've been recommended "Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience" by M. Mary Francis. I've read her "But I Have Called You Friends" which was [i]excellent[/i]. I think this is next on my spiritual reading list.

"And You Are Christ's" is a wonderful book. It really helped solidify my vocation in many ways.

I haven't read "Fire Within" but I've heard good things about it. It has more to do with the different stages of prayer and the spiritual life than the evangelical counsels. If you were to purchase this one, I wouldn't bother with "Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer." The latter is more of an introduction to prayer. A good book, though.

So I guess it really depends what you're looking for. If you're wanting something to do with the evangelical counsels and religious life, I'd go with one of the first two. If you're looking for something more general on the spiritual life, I'd go with "Fire Within." You won't be going wrong either way!
[/quote]

I'm really leaning towards both [i]And You Are Christ's[/i] and [i]The Passion From Within[/i]. [i]The Passion[/i] is available cheaper on Amazon and since I am Prime Student Member, I can get free 2-day shipping which means it would be here in time for the Easter Triduum. I took a peak at it on IP's website using their Google tool and it really looks like an amesome book for meditation in front of the Blessed Sacrament. :)

I really think that anyone considering the religious life ought to read "Fire Within" because religious live a life of contemplation and this book discusses it very well. I'm still reading it and I've heard great things about it. My SD said I should read it.

I'm surprized that Fr. Dubay's book on poverty isn't listed. That's the one I would have picked for sure (Happy are you poor -- I think that's the title).

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1303244936' post='2230304']
I really think that anyone considering the religious life ought to read "Fire Within" because religious live a life of contemplation and this book discusses it very well. I'm still reading it and I've heard great things about it. My SD said I should read it.
[/quote]

Does it focus a lot on Carmelite spirituality? I don't like the writings of St. Teresa of Avila or St. John of the Cross because I have trouble relating to them. The only book I ever liked by either one of them was [i]The Interior Castle[/i]. :blush:

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1303246167' post='2230305']
I'm surprized that Fr. Dubay's book on poverty isn't listed. That's the one I would have picked for sure (Happy are you poor -- I think that's the title).
[/quote]

I actually didn't see that one. :(

Yes, Fr. Dubay explains St. Theresa and St. John's teachings on prayer and the spiritual life. He really puts it into understandable language, unlike the lofty writings of someone like St. John.

You can read some of it on books.google.com

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=TQviZRIrmy4C&pg=PA364&dq=fire+within+fr.+dubay&hl=en&ei=SwGuTc27LYncgQeC5vCaDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=fire%20within%20fr.%20dubay&f=false"]http://books.google.com/books?id=TQviZRIrmy4C&pg=PA364&dq=fire+within+fr.+dubay&hl=en&ei=SwGuTc27LYncgQeC5vCaDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=fire%20within%20fr.%20dubay&f=false[/url]

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303248903' post='2230315']
Does it focus a lot on Carmelite spirituality? I don't like the writings of St. Teresa of Avila or St. John of the Cross because I have trouble relating to them. The only book I ever liked by either one of them was [i]The Interior Castle[/i]. :blush:

I actually didn't see that one. :(
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/HAYP-P/happy-are-you-poor.aspx"]http://www.ignatius....e-you-poor.aspx[/url]

Its on sale :)

I recently read it while on retreat (it was one of two spiritual books that I read)

Edited by cmariadiaz

I don't like Von Speyr at all. Fr. Dubay's book "And You Are Christ's" was one of the best I ever read on the consecrated life, and it helped my mom really understand it. So I picked that one. But "The Right to Be Merry" is FABULOUS, so I'm sure anything by Mother Mary Francis is really, really, really good. If it were me, I'd probably splurge and buy them both, hehe. (Or get used copies dirt-cheap from Amazon.com ... I buy all my books that way now -- I have a whole library for practically the price of a couple books! Even with shipping!) Anyway, just my two cents! :like:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1303261222' post='2230382']
I don't like Von Speyr at all. Fr. Dubay's book "And You Are Christ's" was one of the best I ever read on the consecrated life, and it helped my mom really understand it. So I picked that one. But "The Right to Be Merry" is FABULOUS, so I'm sure anything by Mother Mary Francis is really, really, really good. If it were me, I'd probably splurge and buy them both, hehe. (Or get used copies dirt-cheap from Amazon.com ... I buy all my books that way now -- I have a whole library for practically the price of a couple books! Even with shipping!) Anyway, just my two cents! :like:
[/quote]

May I ask if there is a problem with Adrienne von Speyr? I was seriously considering buying that book on Amazon because it looked really good, but I don't want to get it if she is not faithful to the Church or if her teachings are out of line.

And You are Christ's is probably one of the best options since I am rather poor right now and it's so inexpensive (plus, I have been wanting to read it and Vita Consecrata for some time now ;) ). Amazon is definitely where I do most of my book shopping. They even gave me a free year membership to Student Prime so now I can get books and stuff by free two-day shipping! It rocks! :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1303261222' post='2230382']
[/quote]

Mother Mary Francis, I'm convinced, is one of the least known contemporary spiritual master!! I haven't read "The Right to be Merry" (although I've heard wonderful things!!), but I read "But I Have Called You Friends" and it was absolutely amazing!! She has beautiful insight and, well, she's hilarious. She does a great job of explaining things.

I'm looking forward to reading her book on the counsels. And maybe one day I'll venture into "The Right to be Merry". ;)

LaPetiteSoeur

I'd add a [i]Right to be Merry [/i]even if you aren't discerning a cloistered vocation. I'm not, but reading this book really helped me to understand it and was wonderful to read!

:nunpray:

I don't know about the other ones, but the vocations director for the Francsican order that taught me told me to read [i]My Life witht the Saints[/i] by James Martin, SJ. It's excellent and has helped to form relationships with "friends from above" who can help me with my discernment and other things as well.

There was another book, but I don't remember what it was!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303264600' post='2230410']
May I ask if there is a problem with Adrienne von Speyr? I was seriously considering buying that book on Amazon because it looked really good, but I don't want to get it if she is not faithful to the Church or if her teachings are out of line.

And You are Christ's is probably one of the best options since I am rather poor right now and it's so inexpensive (plus, I have been wanting to read it and Vita Consecrata for some time now ;) ). Amazon is definitely where I do most of my book shopping. They even gave me a free year membership to Student Prime so now I can get books and stuff by free two-day shipping! It rocks! :)
[/quote]

There is nothing doctrinally wrong with Von Speyr, I'm sure that it is the person's personal dislike perhaps for writing style or understandability. I know my old pastor loved von Speyr, and he's pretty rock solid ;) Do not worry, rest assured you can read her.