An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint Paul And "those In Charge"

MagiDragon

Hey gang, it's been a while since I've been around the phorum, but when I came up with a question I couldn't answer, I figured this was a good place to start:

I seem to remember someplace in scripture where Paul says something about needing to meet with "those in authority" or "the ones in charge" or something along those lines. I further believe there was a nearby reference to Rome. Unfortunately, Google has let me down on this one. Anyone have any ideas what I'm remembering? Am I delusional?

Peace,
Joe

Paul, aint he the walrus? :blink:

But seriosly, all I can think of is where Paul was addressing the Romans about the law. He, in Romans 3:19 wrote - We know that everything the law says is addressed to to those who are under its authority. And again he mentions authority in Romans 13 Obedience to Authority. 1-7 he talks about how everyone should obey the authorities that are over them, for there is no authority except from God, and all authority that exists is established by God.

Hope that helps.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1301973512' post='2226040']

But seriosly, all I can think of is where Paul was addressing the Romans about the law. He, in Romans 3:19 wrote - We know that everything the law says is addressed to to those who are under its authority. And again he mentions authority in Romans 13 Obedience to Authority. 1-7 he talks about how everyone should obey the authorities that are over them, for there is no authority except from God, and all authority that exists is established by God.

Hope that helps.

ed
[/quote]

Thanks, that does help me feel more confident in my own insanity at least. ;) I could have sworn Paul talked about going to Rome to talk with the guys in charge. Oh well. :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MagiDragon' timestamp='1302023410' post='2226133']
Thanks, that does help me feel more confident in my own insanity at least. ;) I could have sworn Paul talked about going to Rome to talk with the guys in charge. Oh well. :wall:
[/quote]

[b]Acts 19:21 (New International Version, ©2011)[/b]

[sup][b][size="2"]21[/size][/b][/sup] After all this had happened, Paul decided[sup][[url="#fen-NIV-27607a"]a[/url]][/sup] to go to Jerusalem, passing through Macedonia and Achaia. “After I have been there,” he said, “I must visit Rome also.”

In Galatians we read the account of his first meeting with Peter/Cephas. There is no passage in which he speaks of going to see the church authority in Rome, but he did appeal his arrest to Caesar, and so had to go deal with the secular Roman authorities in Rome.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='zalzan' timestamp='1302797918' post='2228658']
[b]Acts 19:21 (New International Version, ©2011)[/b]

[sup][b][size="2"]21[/size][/b][/sup] After all this had happened, Paul decided[sup][[url="#fen-NIV-27607a"]a[/url]][/sup] to go to Jerusalem, passing through Macedonia and Achaia. “After I have been there,” he said, “I must visit Rome also.”

In Galatians we read the account of his first meeting with Peter/Cephas. There is no passage in which he speaks of going to see the church authority in Rome, but he did appeal his arrest to Caesar, and so had to go deal with the secular Roman authorities in Rome.
[/quote]

Acts 19:21 (Much better, non-lame translation [Douay Rheims])

21 And when these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying: After I have been there, I must see Rome also.

:|

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302805160' post='2228679']
Acts 19:21 (Much better, non-lame translation [Douay Rheims])

21 And when these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying: After I have been there, I must see Rome also.

:|
[/quote]

Lame? well, Nihil, it seems you will insist on debating everything, and I am certainly up for it. When is the last time anyone in the last 20 years used the expression "purposed?" The NIV is very close to the original greek. The Douay is a "latinized" translation; very artful I admit, and even beautiful, but dated. However, the NIV translation is more accurate; most recent consensus among translators is that the phrase "etheto en pneumati" is not a reference to the Holy Spirit, but more of an idiom indicating a personal decision; i.e., when we say "and with your spirit" we are not referencing the Holy Spirit. We can contrast this with Acts 20:22-23 "dedemenos en pneumati" wherein we see a clear compulsion. and sense of being compelled rather than choosing. My former Scripture Professor and good friend is a Pauline Scholar and scripture professor at the Josephinum, the Pontifical College here in the US. I plan to shoot him an email and ask him about it. All things being equal, I do agree that some of the "newer" translations could stand with some stylizing and still preserve the meaning. Sadly we live in a thumb-texting-lol-brb-world.

May God bring you peace, Nihil.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='zalzan' timestamp='1302895610' post='2228963']
Lame? well, Nihil, it seems you will insist on debating everything, and I am certainly up for it. When is the last time anyone in the last 20 years used the expression "purposed?" The NIV is very close to the original greek. The Douay is a "latinized" translation; very artful I admit, and even beautiful, but dated. However, the NIV translation is more accurate; most recent consensus among translators is that the phrase "etheto en pneumati" is not a reference to the Holy Spirit, but more of an idiom indicating a personal decision; i.e., when we say "and with your spirit" we are not referencing the Holy Spirit. We can contrast this with Acts 20:22-23 "dedemenos en pneumati" wherein we see a clear compulsion. and sense of being compelled rather than choosing. My former Scripture Professor and good friend is a Pauline Scholar and scripture professor at the Josephinum, the Pontifical College here in the US. I plan to shoot him an email and ask him about it. All things being equal, I do agree that some of the "newer" translations could stand with some stylizing and still preserve the meaning. Sadly we live in a thumb-texting-lol-brb-world.

May God bring you peace, Nihil.
[/quote]
Our entire Church is "Latinized" and "dated". :like2:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1301973512' post='2226040']
[/quote]
Now I have "Glass Onion" stuck in my head. :|