An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Cecilia Maria Vestition

NunMother

[url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/vocationstories/ProfPictures/SrCeMariaVestition/index.htm"]Sister Cecilia Maria [/url]

How lovely! Thank you for sharing.
I have a question though....what is the double row of white railing down the middle of the chapel?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1301865477' post='2225704']
I have a question though....what is the double row of white railing down the middle of the chapel?
[/quote]

It's a partition to keep the nun's choir and the public chapel separate. Most of the time, I see chapels and choirs either separated by a very tall partition so you cannot see in, or the choir is in a totally different room. The nuns, I believe, just wanted to feel closer to the public. :)

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1301865477' post='2225704']
[/quote]

Below is copied from a description of the Saint Joseph's Monastery of the Passionist Nuns

[b][i]Nave[/i][/b]

The baptismal font is the origin of a water channel flowing down the middle of the nave toward he altar. This provides the material separation necessary to set off the cloistered side of the chapel from the space reserved for guests. The use of baptismal water is a symbol of our oneness in Christ. It shows that although the vocation of the Passionist Nuns sets them apart for the full-time ministry of prayer in a private, cloistered area, they are not cut off from their brothers and sisters in the world.

The design of the water channel permits a more visible presence of the Nuns while safeguarding the privacy of the cloister. It also enables them to invite guests to participate more fully in their liturgical prayer. The water channel is animated by natural light coming fom a continuous skylight above.

[quote name='NunMother' timestamp='1301882684' post='2225774']
Below is copied from a description of the Saint Joseph's Monastery of the Passionist Nuns

[b][i]Nave[/i][/b]

The baptismal font is the origin of a water channel flowing down the middle of the nave toward he altar. This provides the material separation necessary to set off the cloistered side of the chapel from the space reserved for guests. The use of baptismal water is a symbol of our oneness in Christ. It shows that although the vocation of the Passionist Nuns sets them apart for the full-time ministry of prayer in a private, cloistered area, they are not cut off from their brothers and sisters in the world.

The design of the water channel permits a more visible presence of the Nuns while safeguarding the privacy of the cloister. It also enables them to invite guests to participate more fully in their liturgical prayer. The water channel is animated by natural light coming fom a continuous skylight above.
[/quote]

Thank you for the information. what a lovely and thoughtful addition to their chapel

NunMother, thank you for the information on the water canal, which I really appreciate now that I understand it.

Your daughter, Sister Cecilia Maria looks like she was born to wear that habit - she exudes joy. I pray she will persevere in gladness.

And how nice for the community to have two white veils, which I don't think they've had in some time. I love this community and am so happy to see their growth.

And bless you, NunMother, for being so supportive and proud of your daughter's courageous "yes" to God. I just read something about how most parents try to dissuade their daughters out of their vocations.

MargaretTeresa

I was curious too about the "strange" rail down the middle of the chapel! When I had snooped through other cloisters, most I've seen have a tall screen separating the groups.

I believe that idea is lovely!

Pax and God bless!

kavalamyself

I think this is an amazing video and also a terrific witness for other women "out there" who are considering religious life as a contemplative. Thanks so much for sharing this. We only have Passionist priests/brothers in my area, so I don't know any nuns. I guess I'm going to have to get to know some! They look really happy, and really joyous. NunMother, you are really good to share the details of your daughter's journey with this group. I really like what they did with the chapel, that's very interesting. Your daughter makes a beautiful nun and not only because she is beautiful. Her inner light and peace really shine out.

• 2 months later...

More information on the Nave of the Passionist Nuns

[url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/index.php"]Rivers of Living Water[/url]

AccountDeleted

I finally got to watch it on broadband - how lovely. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!