An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Communities That Can Assume Debt

LaboureSociety

LaboureSociety

In my fulltime work assiting individuals accepted into formation for priestly and/or religious life who have debt -primarily educational- I know what a HUGE issue it is. The most recent data suggests 1 in 2 aspirants face this impediment. It is always a joy for me to discover communities that have the resources to assume some or all of these reasonable (school loans, health needs, etc) debts. Here is one:

[url="http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org/charism.htm"]http://www.francisca...org/charism.htm[/url] Franciscan Sisters TOR, IRL & CMSWR member, A beautiful and faithful community

I also know that the Domincan, Franciscan, and Jesuit provinces for men can often assume at least a portion.

Do you have others to add?

I know these communities can give HOPE to discerners who haven't received grants and HOPE to the communities! If you have been impeded from your vocation because of debt, of course you can always contact us, but I also encourage you to look into these communities.

Blessings,
Julie

Edited by LaboureSociety

MargaretTeresa

The Daughters of St. Paul have a candidacy program where you can live with them (or not) and learn while working off your debt somewhere. :)
I can't help but feel blessed that so much of my scholastic financial needs are covered by grants and scholarships, but I do have some loans. I continuously pray that my dad wins the lottery (haha) so I wouldn't have to worry about that (and get a vehicle with better gas mileage).

But, anywho....Thanks for posting that!

Pax and God bless!

OnlySunshine

Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist and the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart have candidacy programs where the candidates live with the Sisters, but they also work to pay off any debt they have.

[quote name='LaboureSociety' timestamp='1301425101' post='2224279']
In my fulltime work assiting individuals accepted into formation for priestly and/or religious life who have debt -primarily educational- I know what a HUGE issue it is. The most recent data suggests 1 in 2 aspirants face this impediment. It is always a joy for me to discover communities that have the resources to assume some or all of these reasonable (school loans, health needs, etc) debts. Here is one:

[url="http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org/charism.htm"]http://www.francisca...org/charism.htm[/url] Franciscan Sisters TOR, IRL & CMSWR member, A beautiful and faithful community

I also know that the Domincan, Franciscan, and Jesuit provinces for men can often assume at least a portion.

Do you have others to add?

I know these communities can give HOPE to discerners who haven't received grants and HOPE to the communities! If you have been impeded from your vocation because of debt, of course you can always contact us, but I also encourage you to look into these communities.

Blessings,
Julie
[/quote]

Laboure, you mention the Franciscan sisters TOR but the link is to the Franciscan Sisters in Peoria, IL.

Which is it?

Or both?

Edited by Yaatee

HopefulBride

The Dominican Sisters of Immaculate Conception have a candidacy program where the aspirant can work outside of the convent while going through the first stage of formation.

Sister Rose Therese

I don't know about the TORs but we are able to take on some educational debt. The way we figure it, we'd have to pay to have the sister educated if she didn't come with her education already. From my knowledge though we do not just pay for it all up front. I think they will cover monthly payments while the sister is in formation and only pay for the full debt after the sister has made her profession, maybe final profession. It could be easily abused if they didn't do that.