An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Prayers

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

Hello everyone! I would like to ask for your prayers. Sr. Louise Marie from the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word got back to me today and she wants me to come on a retreat. She was thinking August, but she said that I could choose the date, though she would recommend the "Theology of the Body" retreat. The problem is, I do not have a job and I'm already struggling to pay for my car insurance and gas. I am job hunting, but opportunities in this area are very slim. I've already put in an application at a reputable grocery store and I hope to apply to Chick-Fil-A as well. As for other opportunities, I am keeping an eye on the paper and online job boards for part-time jobs. Part-time is all I can do right now since I am attending school during the day.

Please pray for me to find a job. My main priority is my car expenses so I can finish up this semester and I am planning to go to school in the Fall, as well, so I'm going to need funds for that too. Thank you in advance. :saint:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1301167788' post='2223511']
Prayers for a part time job! :saint:
[/quote]

Thank you. I am hoping that with summer coming up, there will be more opportunities available. Even if it is just seasonal, it is better than nothing. :nunpray:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1301226563' post='2223713']
if i could just give you a job!! but i will pray for you!!
[/quote]

Much appreciated. I trust my intention to Our Lady and St. Joseph. I know they'll pray for me. :)

humbleheart

Love and prayers.

Lord Jesus,
I give you my hands to do your work
I give you my feet to go your way.
I give you my eyes to see as you do.
I give you my tongue to speak your words.
I give you my mind that you may think in me.
I give you my spirit that you may pray in me.
Above all,
I give you my heart that you may love in me,
your Father, and all mankind.
I give you my whole self that you may grow in me,
so that it is you, Lord Jesus,
who live and work and pray in me.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='humbleheart' timestamp='1301258010' post='2223768']
Love and prayers.

Lord Jesus,
I give you my hands to do your work
I give you my feet to go your way.
I give you my eyes to see as you do.
I give you my tongue to speak your words.
I give you my mind that you may think in me.
I give you my spirit that you may pray in me.
Above all,
I give you my heart that you may love in me,
your Father, and all mankind.
I give you my whole self that you may grow in me,
so that it is you, Lord Jesus,
who live and work and pray in me.
[/quote]

Bless you and thank you! :nun1:

MargaretTeresa

Lots and lots of prayer for you! (Please pray for me for the same reasons...and for my family to stop acting crazy.)

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

Pax and God bless.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301590521' post='2225073']
Lots and lots of prayer for you! (Please pray for me for the same reasons...and for my family to stop acting crazy.)

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

Pax and God bless.
[/quote]

Thank you for your prayers, MT. I really appreciate them. I had kind of forgotten about this thread until you bumped it up with your post. LOL! I will definitely pray for you. I remember going through something similar. It actually happened on my 25th birthday and I decided to take a walk with my mom after we went out to eat. During that, she kept talking about how I was going to get married and have a bunch of kids, but I had already told her that I wanted to become a Sister/nun. I kind of got a little angry and reminded her that I didn't think that was going to happen. She blew up and told me that she was just speaking in hypotheticals, but it hurt me nonetheless. I felt like she didn't care about my feelings or what I wanted to do with my life (or even what God wanted me to do with my life). I felt like she was only concerned with having her eldest daughter/child married and having grandchildren. Of course, I was probably wrong about most of this, but that is how it appeared at the time. It got so bad that I decided to walk ahead so I could get home faster and I started crying. I realized that the only person that mattered was Jesus and I wanted to serve Him even if my family didn't agree. My mom actually apologized later that night and promised that she wouldn't try to push it on me anymore. She could tell that being a Sister was important to me and she would support my decision. I apologized for getting a little too angry and we made up.

To this day, my mom has been supportive no matter what. Even when my aunts told me that I wasn't "nun material" (whatever that means :rolleyes: ), my mom reminded me that this was about God and doing His will, and I shouldn't care what anyone thinks. I loved her for that.

Just remember that our parents are human. Even though they want the best for us, they often don't know what the best is. They get frightened because they have a lot of misconceptions about religious life and worry that they will never see us again (my mom thought I would be locked away like a prisoner). The important thing is to listen to their worries and try to help them by sorting them out. I listened to my mom's questions and got answers for her and it really helped because she is no longer scared about me being "locked away" even if I do enter the cloister (which I am almost 99.9% sure I am not called to).

This is a beautiful prayer for one's family that I found on Catholic Doors:

[center][i][b]O Jesus, our Lord and our brother!
We recommend our family
and all that is ours to your protection;
we confide all to your love.
Fill our house with blessings,
even as you filled the holy house of Nazareth with your presence;
before all else,
keep sin far from it.
Do you alone reign by your law,
by your most holy love,
and by the exercise of every Christian virtue.
Let all of us obey you, love you,
and study how to copy in our own lives your example,
that of Mary your Mother,
and that of your blameless guardian, St, Joseph.
Keep all evils and misfortunes far from us and our house,
but grant that we may be ever in harmony
with your divine will,
even in the sorrows which you send to us.
Finally, grant us the grace to live in perfect harmony
and in the fullness of charity toward our neighbor.
Grant that every one of us may deserve by a holy life
the comfort of your holy sacraments at the hour of death.

Amen.[/b][/i][/center]