An Old School Catholic Message Board

In Sickness And In Health For Richer Or For Poorer

add

Guest Tortliarita

I see how this in any way "Debunks once and for all" the arrow thing. Its just you stating something "obvious" and expecting us to follow long with your "rightness". Its a movie.

[quote name='Tortliarita' timestamp='1302202986' post='2226714']
I see how this in any way "Debunks once and for all" the arrow thing. Its just you stating something "obvious" and expecting us to follow long with your "rightness". Its a movie.
[/quote]

no sense you make?

[font="Garamond"][size="2"][b]Such Sweet Sorrow[/b]

[/size][/font][font="Garamond"][size="2"]She made all the arrangements for a casket and the services to spare me the burden when the time comes. It was a very expensive undertaking both emotionally and financially to complete. I don't think i could have done it, myself alone. :blush:
isn't life grand [/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

[b][color="#0000ff"]"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part"[/color][/b]

This is a nice thought but its not always possible. I always thought that my wife & I would always be together but we both got to a point where our lives were heading in 2 different directions. Neither of us were happy anymore & our children were beginning to suffer. Staying together for the kids sake wouldnt have been beneficial for anyone so we decided to get divorced. I have a peace inside now that i hadnt had in a long time & i think she feels the same. Walking away from each other was the best thing for both of us & for our kids. She will always have a special place in my heart but im just not able to give her the love that a husband need to give his wife anymore.

[quote name='knightec' timestamp='1303948620' post='2234052']
[b][color="#0000ff"]"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part"[/color][/b]

This is a nice thought but its not always possible. I always thought that my wife & I would always be together but we both got to a point where our lives were heading in 2 different directions. Neither of us were happy anymore & our children were beginning to suffer. Staying together for the kids sake wouldnt have been beneficial for anyone so we decided to get divorced. I have a peace inside now that i hadnt had in a long time & i think she feels the same. Walking away from each other was the best thing for both of us & for our kids. She will always have a special place in my heart but im just not able to give her the love that a husband need to give his wife anymore.

[/quote]

sorry to hear that, my friend
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1tXhJniSEc[/media]

life is better with a mate

Edited by apparently

[b][color="#0000ff"]"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, to cherish [/color][/b][b][color="#0000ff"]and obey[/color][/b][b][color="#0000ff"] till death us do part " [/color][/b]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Prince William – Kate Middleton Wedding Vows excluded "to obey" from the ceremony (see below) , what does this phrase "to obey" [/size][/font][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#000000"]really mean and was it wrong or even anti-marriage in a way?
on a side note, isn't Westminster Abbey a lovely chapel to be married at?
[/color][/size][/font][font="Arial"][size="2"]

The original wedding vows, as printed in The Book of Common Prayer, are:

[code]Groom: I,____, take thee,_____, to my lawful wedded Wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

Bride: I,_____, take thee,_____, to my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.[/code]

when i got married (many, many moons ago) i don't remember the exact wording of our vows, at all! but the obey part seams reasonable .. we are still happily married after 30 years, so it works for us [i](Please, keep the not remembering the vow thing between us, as the Mrs might not like it, okay?).[/i]

what do use people say about that?
[/size][/font]

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1304205996' post='2235137']
when i got married (many, many moons ago) i don't remember the exact wording of our vows, at all! but the obey part seams reasonable .. we are still happily married after 30 years, so it works for us (keep the not remembering the vow thing between us, as the Mrs might not like it, okay).

what do use people say about that?
[/size][/font]
[/quote]
I didn't think Catholic weddings usually had vows, as such. I have to admit it's been a while for me too. :blush:

[quote name='philothea' timestamp='1304206180' post='2235138']
I didn't think Catholic weddings usually had vows, as such. I have to admit it's been a while for me too. :blush:
[/quote]

my catholic wedding did ?

Norseman82

[quote name='knightec' timestamp='1303948620' post='2234052']

[/quote]

Give Retrouvaille (sp?) a try.

Edited by Norseman82

as i am pretty sure knight's wife was/is a part of the phorum, i believe that we should tread carefully in this discussion to respect her dignity as well. (not directed specifically at you, norse.)

I appreciate your concern Red. My wife was/is a member of this forum & I don't want to be disrespectful to her in any way.

I was just trying to state that sometimes it is the best thing for both parties in a marriage to walk away. I own my responsibility in the termination of my marriage. I wasn't the husband that she deserved anymore. I couldn't provide her with the happiness that she needed. I have no animosity towards her for walking away. She did what she felt was best for her & the children. I wish her the best in life & truley hope that she can find happiness & peace in her heart.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1302012906' post='2226100']
That's it. God didn't give you the grace to 'handle' the situation until you needed it. God bless you and your spouse! Have you read CS Lewis' book Through the Shadowlands? If not, I highly encourage it.
[/quote]

Another truly beautiful book about this topic is A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken. He and his wife were 'soul mates' (if there is such a thing) but both atheists. Then they both started investigating Christianity and began a friendship with CS Lewis who helped them to deal with their doubts. They both became devout Christians (Anglican) but then God separated them through the wife's terminal illness. Around this time CS Lewis' wife developed her illness but she didn't die for several years after Vanauken's went to God. The whole book is an amazing story of human love and divine love. I highly recommend it.