An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Presenting Pectoral Cross To Anglican Bishop

Dave

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1301037229' post='2223152']
I just gave my Lutheran friend a Rosary... me and Pope Benny are pretty bad arse...
[/quote]
Is the rosary a sign of episcopal authority?

dominicansoul

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301066484' post='2223193']
Is the rosary a sign of episcopal authority?
[/quote]

sorry, nihil, I wasn't paying attention to the debate, I just wanted to throw my comment in, cos, I think it's kinda neat I gave my lutheran friend a rosary, and the Pope gave an anglican a cross...

But, the Rosary is a spiritual weapon, I"m sure my LUtheran friend will benefit from having it...perhaps the Pope felt the same with the cross?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1301068393' post='2223203']
sorry, nihil, I wasn't paying attention to the debate, I just wanted to throw my comment in, cos, I think it's kinda neat I gave my lutheran friend a rosary, and the Pope gave an anglican a cross...

But, the Rosary is a spiritual weapon, I"m sure my LUtheran friend will benefit from having it...perhaps the Pope felt the same with the cross?
[/quote]
I think it's great to give someone a rosary. However, I don't think it's great to give a fake pretender-bishop a symbol of the authority of real bishops.
Much better I think, would be to give him an icon. Maybe one of Maximilian Kolbe, whom the Anglicans recognize as a martyr. In fact they even have a statue of him at Westminster Abbey.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301012333' post='2223075']
When did simple crucifixes and miraculous medals become symbols of episcopal authority? Have you not read a single one of my posts?
[/quote]

I did in fact read all of your posts (a point which should be evident given my reference to cmother's definition of a pectoral cross. I attempted to lighten the mood with a light joke about it, though I obviously failed in this regard). I also read cmother's post (along with yours) and found it to be quite an accurate summary of what you had and continue to post on this topic.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301069125' post='2223208']
I think it's great to give someone a rosary. However, I don't think it's great to give a fake pretender-bishop a symbol of the authority of real bishops.
Much better I think, would be to give him an icon. Maybe one of Maximilian Kolbe, whom the Anglicans recognize as a martyr. In fact they even have a statue of him at Westminster Abbey.
[/quote]

But what if it was the Pope's way of saying, "Come on over and be a religious in teh Catholic Church..."

from what I've read, they have a lot of defectors coming over to us....

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1301077075' post='2223247']
maybe he knows something we don't... cos, it's not like we know everything... :whistle:
[/quote]

psshhaaa yea right. pope don't know nothin bout runnin da church.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301000840' post='2223029']
No, I'm not saying that.

Why would you even say that? That's not even a little bit close to what I said, and that complete mischaracterization of my opinion is frankly insulting.
[/quote]

The implication of your posts is that the Pope has his theology wrong, and the inference from that is he is an incompetant theologian, since he doesn't seem to know that a pectoral cross belongs only to Catholic bishops. That is a fair summary of your position as the other posters have pointed out to you. My position is that the Pope knows exactly what he is doing.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1301076996' post='2223245']
But what if it was the Pope's way of saying, "Come on over and be a religious in teh Catholic Church..."

from what I've read, they have a lot of defectors coming over to us....
[/quote]
Give him an IOU saying "we'll give you this lovely pectoral cross if you ditch the dusty old CofE.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1301079502' post='2223260']
The implication of your posts is that the Pope has his theology wrong, and the inference from that is he is an incompetant theologian, since he doesn't seem to know that a pectoral cross belongs only to Catholic bishops. That is a fair summary of your position as the other posters have pointed out to you. My position is that the Pope knows exactly what he is doing.
[/quote]
That is not even close to my implication. I have said nothing more than that the pectoral cross is a symbol of the authority of legitimate bishops, therefore I don't consider it appropriate to give one to a fake bishop. I have said nothing whatsoever about the pope's understanding of the subject. You are reading into my posts in order to caricature my arguments, and I find that insulting.