An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Presenting Pectoral Cross To Anglican Bishop

Dave

Noel's angel

Oopsies, i'd better go and burn any scarlet coloured clothes, lest I be accused of impersonating a Cardinal...
Oh, and I have a replica of Pope John Paul II's pectoral cross that my grandmother gave to me. I'd better give it back too...hardly.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Noel's angel' timestamp='1300999793' post='2223024']
Oopsies, i'd better go and burn any scarlet coloured clothes, lest I be accused of impersonating a Cardinal...
Oh, and I have a replica of Pope John Paul II's pectoral cross that my grandmother gave to me. I'd better give it back too...hardly.
[/quote]
Do you wear the pectoral cross in liturgical functions?
Do you wear scarlet vestments while imitating the Mass?

Nihil Obstat

At the end of the day, Anglican 'bishops' are impersonating real bishops. By doing so they cause grave scandal. This scandal began in 1534 and has been causing harm to souls ever since.
Anglican orders are not valid. Anglicans have no bishops. Those who claim these offices are impersonators and are leading their congregations astray.

To present them with symbols of the very authority they falsely claim only lets their charade continue, and further reinforces the scandal in the minds of those who have been duped.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1300999988' post='2223026']
At the end of the day, Anglican 'bishops' are impersonating real bishops. By doing so they cause grave scandal. This scandal began in 1534 and has been causing harm to souls ever since.
Anglican orders are not valid. Anglicans have no bishops. Those who claim these offices are impersonators and are leading their congregations astray.

To present them with symbols of the very authority they falsely claim only lets their charade continue, and further reinforces the scandal in the minds of those who have been duped.
[/quote]

So you are saying that the Holy Father, Pope Benedict, doesn't know as much basic theology or history as you and is therefore wrong in deciding who to give a cross to?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1301000222' post='2223027']
So you are saying that the Holy Father, Pope Benedict, doesn't know as much basic theology or history as you and is therefore wrong in deciding who to give a cross to?
[/quote]
No, I'm not saying that.

Why would you even say that? That's not even a little bit close to what I said, and that complete mischaracterization of my opinion is frankly insulting.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301000840' post='2223029']
No, I'm not saying that.

Why would you even say that? That's not even a little bit close to what I said, and that complete mischaracterization of my opinion is frankly insulting.
[/quote]

she said it because your coming off as a person who believes the pope is wrong in his actions here.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1301005071' post='2223046']
she said it because your coming off as a person who believes the pope is wrong in his actions here.
[/quote]
She should address what I've said. Not in an insulting caricature of my arguments.

just wondering, has anyone heard of any person, any where, at any time who believed that the Pope presenting the Pectoral Cross to an Anglican Bishop meant that the Pope recognizes their episcopal authority?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1301007118' post='2223057']
just wondering, has anyone heard of any person, any where, at any time who believed that the Pope presenting the Pectoral Cross to an Anglican Bishop meant that the Pope recognizes their episcopal authority?
[/quote]
Once again, [i]is that what I said[/i]?

Let's take a look.

"To present them with symbols of the very authority they falsely claim only lets their charade continue, and further reinforces the scandal in the minds of those who have been duped."
"I don't think it's appropriate."
"Lay people do not wear the pectoral cross, because it is a symbol of the office of bishop, which Anglicans cannot exercise."
"[b]I obviously am not saying that any of the popes were legitimizing Anglican orders.[/b] I simply think the action was imprudent from the perspective of legitimate ecumenism."

Don't be obtuse. Address my actual arguments. Not the made up ones that you wish I was making.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301007371' post='2223058']
Once again, [i]is that what I said[/i]?

Let's take a look.

"To present them with symbols of the very authority they falsely claim only lets their charade continue, and further reinforces the scandal in the minds of those who have been duped."
"I don't think it's appropriate."
"Lay people do not wear the pectoral cross, because it is a symbol of the office of bishop, which Anglicans cannot exercise."
"[b]I obviously am not saying that any of the popes were legitimizing Anglican orders.[/b] I simply think the action was imprudent from the perspective of legitimate ecumenism."

Don't be obtuse. Address my actual arguments. Not the made up ones that you wish I was making.
[/quote]

The post did not address your arguments, because the post wasn't directed towards your arguments.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1301007892' post='2223063']
The post did not address your arguments, because the post wasn't directed towards your arguments.
[/quote]
Right, it just came completely out of the blue and has nothing to do with any of the previous posts.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301007961' post='2223064']
Right, it just came completely out of the blue and has nothing to do with any of the previous posts.
[/quote]

What are you talking about???

Of course it has to do with the discussion. My post was not directed directly towards any one of your arguments. Just because I want to take part in the discussion does not mean I have to address your arguments.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1301000222' post='2223027']
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301000840' post='2223029']
No, I'm not saying that.

[/quote]

I thought it was a fairly honest summary of the points you had made up to that point. Anyway, I guess I should stop wearing crosses around my neck on chains that hang past my collar bone. Do Benedict Medals count too? ;) Just chill. I think it was meant to be a nice gesture of at least having a cordial relationship between the Catholic Church and the Anglican Ecclesial Community. I don't think the intention was ever to suggest Anglican "bishops'" or the Archdruid's authority. Sometimes one must simply take actions at the smallest value they have. Two people exchanged gifts that other will hopefully use and appreciate.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' timestamp='1301011814' post='2223072']
I thought it was a fairly honest summary of the points you had made up to that point. Anyway, I guess I should stop wearing crosses around my neck on chains that hang past my collar bone. Do Benedict Medals count too? ;) Just chill. I think it was meant to be a nice gesture of at least having a cordial relationship between the Catholic Church and the Anglican Ecclesial Community. I don't think the intention was ever to suggest Anglican "bishops'" or the Archdruid's authority. Sometimes one must simply take actions at the smallest value they have. Two people exchanged gifts that other will hopefully use and appreciate.
[/quote]
When did simple crucifixes and miraculous medals become symbols of episcopal authority? Have you not read a single one of my posts?