An Old School Catholic Message Board

Info On Monasteries Please

Guest JohnGlackin

Guest JohnGlackin

Hi,
John from Ireland here. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has visited the following monasteries ; the cistercians of St. Benedict's ,Snowmass, Colorado; Spencer Abbey ,Massachusetts and the benedictines of Westminster Abbey . Any info is gratefully received.

Thanks,
John

Sad to say only that I know the Spencer, Mass monks are told to be very kind.

But speaking of monastics - have you seen this emerging community in Norcia, Italy?

http://osbnorcia.org/

The Spencer monks make great jam.

This is not grounds for a vocational decision, but you did say you were looking for "any" info! :P

littlesister

We know Spencer well. Beautiful, silent place. Well-done liturgy. Knd community, as has been noted above. Abbot Damian is very peaceful and easy to talk to. Best wishes.

Sorry; the only place on that list I've been to is Westminster Abbey, and I didn't even realize there were still Benedictines there.

From a random internet site:

[quote]This absolutely gorgeous abbey in Spencer is a wonderful place to visit. They are not always open to the public but calling ahead will let you know when the public is allowed in. If you can get in to one of their services, it will be an event you won't forget. These are the Cistercian monks and they sing beautifully. The grounds are magnificant. Their gift shop is open most days and is at the front of the property. They carry many religious items, but they are renowned for their famous Trappist Preserves which are made right there. Get some. They are great![/quote]

http://www.judysbook.com/members/12401/posts/2005/8/114278/