An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poem About Nuns

CatherineM

I just finished a term paper on Catherine Doherty, the founder of Madonna House, and her book, [u]Fragments of my Life[/u] had this in the back. It's her idea of what a nun should be.

A nun is a woman who believes in the Absolute, and arises in search of it, laughing at all who speak of the impossibility of it.
For a woman, who is a nun, knows that the impossible becomes the possible in a matter of seconds, at the bidding of her Beloved.
A nun is a woman who has become mad, totally, irrevocably mad!
For she has accepted the standard of God's wisdom which is in truth folly to man.
A nun is a woman hanging on the other side of his cross knowing that it becomes His marriage bed with her the moment she asks "To be lifted up" with him.
A nun is a woman of the water and the towel constantly kneeling before mankind to wash its tired feet.
A nun is a woman in love with God--hence with all humanity always...constantly...totally!
A nun is a prayer--everlastingly lifting her arms to God for those who don't.
A nun is a woman who fasts knowing well how fast fast reaches the heart of God!
A nun is a woman wrapped in the Poverty of God, the mantle of His surrender, His emptying!
A nun is a woman who exists to show that God exists too.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1300037913' post='2220498']
I just finished a term paper on Catherine Doherty, the founder of Madonna House, and her book, [u]Fragments of my Life[/u] had this in the back. It's her idea of what a nun should be.

A nun is a woman who believes in the Absolute, and arises in search of it, laughing at all who speak of the impossibility of it.
For a woman, who is a nun, knows that the impossible becomes the possible in a matter of seconds, at the bidding of her Beloved.
A nun is a woman who has become mad, totally, irrevocably mad!
For she has accepted the standard of God's wisdom which is in truth folly to man.
A nun is a woman hanging on the other side of his cross knowing that it becomes His marriage bed with her the moment she asks "To be lifted up" with him.
A nun is a woman of the water and the towel constantly kneeling before mankind to wash its tired feet.
A nun is a woman in love with God--hence with all humanity always...constantly...totally!
A nun is a prayer--everlastingly lifting her arms to God for those who don't.
A nun is a woman who fasts knowing well how fast fast reaches the heart of God!
A nun is a woman wrapped in the Poverty of God, the mantle of His surrender, His emptying!
A nun is a woman who exists to show that God exists too.
[/quote]

Thank you for this.. it is a reminder to me....

Catherine " the Bee" was a marvelous woman and unique saint to say the least! She was Intensely in love with God yet hot tempered and sassy in her honesty... in short a cool refreshing soul who never tried to play a Saint and in the process of being who she was became one! You picked a wonderful Saint to do your paper on... I bet you enjoyed it too! "Poustinia" was my favorite book of hers and eventually led me to the hermit life after being deeply impressed by living in one of the poustinias for an extended retreat at Madonna House. Thanks again :)