An Old School Catholic Message Board

Too Many Religious Orders!

BigJon16

Not that it's a bad thing but...

It just makes the discernment process sooooo much more difficult. :wall: hahahaha

yeah it is.. so I suggest that once you find a community, stick to it! don't be like me who is a Carmelite overnight. The next day I am a Dominican. Minutes later I will be a trappist then benedictine. It is discouraged! haha!\\and pray! :P

I researched the main orders first and then looked at smaller ones. I found that I am drawn toward the Dominicans. The college I go to has a Dominican Priory on campus so I have seen and experienced Dominican life. Once I knew I wanted to be a Dominican I started looking at different Dominican congregations. Trying to find the right order was overwhelming for me too. Part of what helped me was knowing what I didn't want. For instance I know I would go crazy if I was cloistered which, as a female, cut out the Carmelites. I also know that I want to be able to use my particular gift, counseling, meant that I am not suited to the Franciscans and most Benedictine congregations. I am blessed enough to not be far from a Cistercian monastery and having met many Cistercians knew that they are too strict and contemplative. I've found most of the newer orders are too liberal for me and I knew that I didn't want a liberal order that didn't have a habit. I have found through talking to lots of Dominicans and Dominican vocation directors that I fit very well with the Dominicans. I get a habit, get to use my gift, live in community, do apostolic work, work out in the world and all of this is what I want. Just talk to some vocation directors, figure out what you don't want, and ask people who know you well where they think you might fit best. I will keep you in my prayers.

LaPetiteSoeur

Like emiler09, I knew what I wasn't

Not a Camelite (Though I love St. John of the Cross), not a Franciscan, not a Benedictine, not a trappist....

But I fell in love with the Dominicans! So, find your spirituality, and then go order hunting. Also, at least for women, there's the CMWSR website which is amesome and really helpful. And the tradtional women's communities blog. I'll post a link once I find it.

:nunpray:

Bonne chance!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1299064373' post='2217102']
And the tradtional women's communities blog. I'll post a link once I find it.
[/quote]

Is [url="http://womenreligiousorders.blogspot.com/"]this the blog[/url] you're talking about?

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1299079592' post='2217131']
Is [url="http://womenreligiousorders.blogspot.com/"]this the blog[/url] you're talking about?

[/quote]

Yep, it's really great!

Thanks!:nunpray: