An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister And The Internet

GraceUk

I saw this quite interesting article this morning about a sister who has been spending too much time on facebook. I posted a link and I hope it works. I must say I don't quite understand it. Can't see how her order could have asked her to leave if she has taken perpertual vows. And also I think if she has taken a vow of obedience she should have bowed to her superiors in this matter. But I wonder if there is more to it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358534/Bad-habit-Nun-dubbed-Sister-Internet-kicked-religious-order--spending-time-Facebook.html

Hinter dem Horizont

I agree with above statement. DEFINITELY something else going on here [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/twitch.gif[/img]

MissScripture

I also like how they have a facebook group telling the convent to take her back. Um...yeah, sorry, doesn't work that way. :crazy:

TeresaBenedicta

Definitely more going, evidenced by the statement, "I would like visit London and New York. Such things were impossible to even dream in the convent."

That's exactly what I thought too. She must have know that if she entered an enclosed order trips round the world are out of the question unless permitted by the Superior to make a foundation or such like. And also I've seen a lot of timetables of those enclosed orders and really it would seem their day is very structured, prayer, meals, divine office, recreation and so on. Not large chunks of time sectioned off for Facebook. The very thought is ridiculous!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1298135655' post='2213847']
Definitely more going, evidenced by the statement, "I would like visit London and New York. Such things were impossible to even dream in the convent."
[/quote]

StephenFlanagan

I feel sorry for her Facebook has loads of nuns/sisters/brothers and priest on there hopefully spreading the good news what a great way for people to get to know our religious communities

MissScripture

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1298243906' post='2214219']
Is this real? Are we seeing only the top of the iceberg?
[/quote]
If it is real, we are most likely only seeing one tiny portion of the story.

Catherine Therese

I'd love to see a good Catholic reporter get in there and get the REST of the story for us. I feel that it surely must have been misrepresented in what we've seen so far.

Nevertheless I think this directs our attention to a very poignant contrast between the Europe of now and the Europe of the 13th Century, say.

I would love to see Europe regained for Christ in my lifetime!!